The Strangest Behaviour - 2015 GS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-Jun-2018, 11:51 PM (202) Thread Starter

Question The Strangest Behaviour - 2015 GS

Hi,

Anyone know what may be going on here? Please let me know as it has me totally foxed. Sorry for the long post.
Am sending the bike off to the dealer mechanic tomorrow - but thought I'd ask you fine folks too.

Went to go for a ride this morning and it was less than successful -
  • Bike started OK but possibly a little sluggish. Cold start (it's winter here in Oz), but I had checked the bike the day before because it hadnít been ridden in two weeks.
  • Rode off with the General Warning Light and ABS Warning Lights on as usual until the bike had travelled a short distance.
    These went off 100 m down the road as usual, but then the ASC Warning Light came on.
  • At the next lights I tried to turn the bike off (shutdown and restart) to see if it was a temporary glitch, but the Keyless Ride On/Off Button didnít do anything.
  • Took the bike back home (1 km ride) and on the way the General Warning Light and ABS Warning Light came on.
  • While riding home I wanted to see if anything else was failing so I tried to change Ride Modes (Road, Rain, Dynamic, Enduro), but none of those would engage - dash would display new setting above current, but pulling the clutch in wouldnít change the mode.
  • When I got home the Keyless Ride On/Off Button still failed to stop the engine - no response when pushing the button.
  • Telltale Light (Red Hash Symbol) in the top right hand corner of the display was now on - I think this is the Radio Key/EWS Warning Light
  • Used the Kill Switch to shut the bike off, but the dash/main display stayed on - unable to turn the bike off fully.
  • Used the Starter to start the ignition and the bike started, but only just (very laboured).
  • Turned the bike off using the Keyless Ride On/Off Button - it worked this time. Dash also turned off.
  • Tried to restart the bike - pushed the Keyless On/Off Button, but every warning light came on including the Key Low (Key battery warning indicator).
NOTE: Battery in the key was replaced 12 months ago.
  • Bike wouldnít start - placed the key fob under the rear guard just in case it was a key fob battery issue, but no start. Either the main battery or the ignition had failed.
  • Turned the bike off using the Keyless On/Off Button.

NOTE: Main Bike Battery is still the original. I periodically place the battery/bike on the charger if is not ridden for a couple of weeks. Bike was started the day before to check the battery.

Rolled the bike out later in the day ready for the BMW Roadside assist to collect and thought I'd try one more time - and yep - it started just fine.
Still displaying the key fob battery low warning but everything else was OK - or so it seems.
I replaced the battery in the fob and the warning went off. Bike still started.

Could this all possibly be just signs of a main bike battery on its last breath of life?

Mark H
Sydney, Australia
2015 R1200GS Black Storm
2012 R1200R White
2010 R1200R Black
2007 F800ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 12:59 AM (249)

Strange to have so many electrical issues in one hit.

I recall a couple of years ago when in France about to board a ferry back to Blighty a bulb failure light came on. On inspection I found thatneither dip or main beam worked. Problem was that it was going to be late at night when the ferry arrived home, and dark. After turning the ignition off and and on a few times with and without the engine running the lights suddenly started working. Never had this issue ever since.

This is obviously of no help to you but shows BMW electrics are probably controlled by aliens!

PS. It's not likely to be the battery on it's last legs since if it has enough power to start the engine there would be more than enough power to operate less power draining functions.

Last edited by Boringoldfart; 17-Jun-2018 at 01:10 AM (257).
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 05:11 AM (424)

On another bike I had, it's electronics was acting odd. It seemed to run a little rough but not bad. Turned out it was indeed the battery not having a good charge....

In your case, I'm wondering if riding it even that little bit started charging the battery enough so some other "electric" functions started working... Just a thought...
Southpaw likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 08:05 AM (545)
Naviator

Garage
My first inclination is also the battery is causing these anomalies, a battery that is beginning to fail although it still starts the engine can cause all sorts of electrical issues.
This is what you want the problem to be and where I would start, not by charging the battery but by replacing it with a fully charged new one.
Southpaw and gsa_guy like this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 08:31 PM (063)

Sounds very much like the battery....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2018, 06:53 PM (995)

Garage
Key FOB battery ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2018, 06:25 AM (475)

Garage
Main battery on the bike.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2018, 05:31 PM (938) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Sounds very much like the battery....
I'm collecting the bike from the dealer/mechanic tomorrow and hope the issue doesn't reoccur.

Unfortunately, although the diagnostic systems in the workshop could verify that the faults had occurred, the team couldn't repeat them and if you can't make it happen, it's challenging to fix.

We agreed in the end to replace the bike's battery, even though it seemed like it was still healthy and was more than capable of kicking the bike into life. (contrary to what I had seen days earlier). So to be safe, they installed a new one.
I've replaced the battery in the key fob, although once again it was unlikely that this was at the end of its life.

It may have just been "one of those things" or it may be something more suspicious, but time will tell.

Mark H
Sydney, Australia
2015 R1200GS Black Storm
2012 R1200R White
2010 R1200R Black
2007 F800ST
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2018, 06:28 PM (978)

Garage
Since bikes have been running CANbus systems, battery (state of charge) problems have produced a range of weird behaviours.
Then again, it could be the Sydney weather!
marcimark likes this.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC

Last edited by Houdini; 21-Jun-2018 at 06:31 PM (980).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 25-Jun-2018, 12:21 PM (723)

Similar problems have been recently reported on AdvRider > Forums > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers.
Search for the thread with subject "2017 R1200GS-R wonít turn off".
I can't post the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode