Stability with BMW VARIO Top Box - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 08:36 AM (567) Thread Starter

Stability with BMW VARIO Top Box

So I have all of the Vario boxes (sides and Top) I was having a conversation with a friend who told me he only uses the side cases because the top box destabilizes the bike. After looking at my bike from the rear i can see how this could be the case. However, the convenience of having the topbox for me is important. I had a Ducati Monster before my GS and I had to ride with a backpack everyday. I was hoping I could get some opinions from guys who ride with cases on their bikes. Should I switch to the side cases for everyday use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 08:40 AM (569) Thread Starter

Here’s a pic
Attached Images

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 08:44 AM (572)
Super Awesom Person

A LOT of people ride bikes with a top box and no side bags just like that without problems. My brother is one. Makes it a lot easier to split lanes here in California. I say ride it a month or two and see for yourself.
chaostrophy likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 08:46 AM (573)
Naviator

Garage
I ride with all 3 Vario's installed 99% of the time, I'm always packing stuff around and shopping.
I've never had any stability issues because of them nor does the GS get any measurably better fuel economy without them.
Southpaw and chaostrophy like this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 08:48 AM (575) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I ride with all 3 Vario's installed 99% of the time, I'm always packing stuff around and shopping.
I've never had any stability issues because of them nor does the GS get any measurably better fuel economy without them.
Thanks guys I was actually thinking of riding with the side cases on all the time also just to be used to it when I go away. I might start doing that.
Southpaw likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 09:26 AM (601)
Professional Nomad

Garage
It depends on what you put in the topcase. They're so high up and far behind the rear axle, that it has the potential to lever the front end up.

I had a 52L Givi topcase and if I kept heavy things in there, the front wheel would lift off the ground while on the centre stand. Not good. That told me I had to lighten the rear end, because I was losing steering feel.

So mostly I just kept light clothing in the topcase, left it mostly empty unless we were going grocery shopping and riding for just a short while.

Gene -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 09:36 AM (608)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
Thanks guys I was actually thinking of riding with the side cases on all the time also just to be used to it when I go away. I might start doing that.
This is how I ride. Top box for long trips . No stability issues , but I do have a problem with the bracket working loose after miles of riding. Need to address that issue before next trip. I use the Jesse setup and the top box mounts to the toolbox which is mounted to the support bracket.

'05 1200 GS
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 10:10 AM (632)

Garage
I'm always a bit surprised how little I notice when my bike is loaded up with full side and top Vario cases. The bike feels very stable with them on. That said, I never ride with just the top box on alone. I suppose if fully loaded it would raise and push back the center of gravity (cog). But with the boxer engine the bike's cog is fairly low so I suppose it lessens the effect of the cargo boxes compared to other bikes with higher cog's.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 10:27 AM (644) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I'm always a bit surprised how little I notice when my bike is loaded up with full side and top Vario cases. The bike feels very stable with them on. That said, I never ride with just the top box on alone. I suppose if fully loaded it would raise and push back the center of gravity (cog). But with the boxer engine the bike's cog is fairly low so I suppose it lessens the effect of the cargo boxes compared to other bikes with higher cog's.
I do not notice the top box at all. Thats why I mentioned it on the site. I am surprised as well I did notice how the suspension got higher after i picked the setting with luggage though.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 16-Aug-2018, 02:24 PM (808)

Having top box on its own is the default setting for me, and I encounter no issues, including when loaded up with shopping etc. Similarly, top box and side cases, with or without the wife on board, gives more grief. Oh - not true. Grief comes from wife when I exceed 100 kay's...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode