Fuel Grade - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2019, 12:02 PM (751)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
Doesn't seem to mater what fuel I use, it all works. FWIW, I run "76 Brand" premium, works great. I took a trip to Mexico and used "PMEX Magna Sin" supposedly 90 octane, lead free. Ran into no problems.

John
My '06 seems similarly unaffected by octane and ethanol. It also seems confused about what it needs--the manual says "Super" (95 RON); the EPA compliance sticker on the frame says "91 AKI"; and a mostly-rubbed-away sticker on top of the fuel tank recommends mid-grade 89 octane. The bike in fact runs the same, far as I can tell, on regular, mid and premium, with or without ethanol. It does sound slightly different on 87 octane regular--no knocking or anything like it, just a slightly more "ragged" exhaust note. As a result, I default to mid-grade, followed by premium if available, regular as last resort. I don't worry about ethanol as long as it's 10 percent or less.

I downloaded a PDF of the 2005 manual from BMW's website (in theory, the two bikes are the same, especially since mine has an assembly date of 8/05). It gives more information, including AKI equivalents to RON numbers. And I quote:

Quote:
Fuel quality
The engine is designed for:

– Super unleaded gasoline (95 RON) (AKI 90)
It is preferable to use this fuel quality to comply with the nominal values for performance and fuel consumption.

In addition, the following fuel quality can also be used:

– Super Plus gasoline (98 RON) (AKI 93)

The minimum quality is:

– Regular unleaded gasoline (91 RON) (AKI 87)

It is recommended that gasoline with a fuel quality lower than (91 RON) (AKI 87) not be used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2019, 12:28 PM (769)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinkibikr View Post
In Texas we call Top Tier high octane no ethanol gas "Unicorn" !
Yup. Apparently few read the requirements for a gas to be labeled Top Tier®. Top Tier® fuels have between 8 and 10 percent ethanol.

Like saughblade and Bumblebee I've never had a fuel issue regardless of the fuel used. That is due partially to where I live and do most of my riding; it provides a combination of low humidity and quality gas that meets California standards. Ethanol fuel in areas of high humidity can certainly be an issue.

That's not to say people sometimes get a load of bad gas. That is less likely to happen at high traffic gas stations.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2019, 02:45 PM (864)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
Not really that hard to find.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Easy to find hard sometimes to procure. Puregas.org is updated about one a millennia. So take whatever info you glean from it with a grain of salt.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2019, 11:44 PM (238)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Yup. Apparently few read the requirements for a gas to be labeled Top Tier®. Top Tier® fuels have between 8 and 10 percent ethanol.

Like saughblade and Bumblebee I've never had a fuel issue regardless of the fuel used. That is due partially to where I live and do most of my riding; it provides a combination of low humidity and quality gas that meets California standards. Ethanol fuel in areas of high humidity can certainly be an issue.

That's not to say people sometimes get a load of bad gas. That is less likely to happen at high traffic gas stations.
Well I stand corrected and educa-macated .. I didn't know that Top Tier called for ethanol specifically. While I wish that Chevron and Shell would provide a premium octane, pure gasoline option, there must be some legislative or deal with the devil that prevents it. As I do live in a high humidity area I have to be aware of how long gas sits in my various bikes. I'll continue to use Top Tier for the good reasons, and so be it.

D.

Dave
2018 R1200GS
2003 K1200RS
2010 Ducati 696 Monster
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2019, 09:55 AM (663)
Super Awesom Person

While the vast majority of Top Tier gasoline contains ethanol I can't find anything saying it's a requirement. Top Tier indicates the amount of detergent mixed in. https://www.carfax.com/blog/top-tier...edicine-engine

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2019, 10:58 AM (707)
GS (and DR)

This pdf ==> https://www.toptiergas.com/documents...vE_2017-03.pdf is TOP TIER DETERGENT GASOLINE
DEPOSIT CONTROL PERFORMANCE STANDARD Revision E – March 2017
. It says:

4.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal territory refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent as measured by ASTM D 4815 or D 5845. In markets with lower fuel ethanol content, fuel matching the market conditions of fuel ethanol content can be used upon approval.
Rick92040 likes this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2019, 02:39 PM (860)

Garage
Ethanol: Corn belt welfare. This is not 1973.......
bigjohnsd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel grade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode