Spoke wheel wobble - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-Oct-2018, 08:00 PM (041) Thread Starter

Garage
Spoke wheel wobble

Just sharing what I found out from my first service this weekend. I was having some mild wobble in the front wheel at low speed (like hitting a groove in the road but on flat road) so I asked them to look at it. First thing he asked is if they were spoked wheels (they were).

After inspection turns out there were many loose spokes (after just 600 mi) front and back, around 50 percent. According to the local service manager, this is a recent production issue that is known and they canít get this batch to stay tight. (I didnít ask for a case number).

Theyíre taking care of it under warranty and new wheels already on order, but just wanted to share with anyone who bought one recently, if you feel a mild wobble or flop in the front wheel at low speeds check your spokes for loose ones. Wouldnít expect that on a new machine but things happen.

-DaPfunk: 2018 GSA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-Oct-2018, 09:00 PM (083)
Survivor

Garage
Thanks for the report. You are not alone. There are several reports of loose spokes on low mileage 2018 and some 2017 bikes. I suggest that you ensure your dealer checks the new wheels; there have been reports of the replacement wheels having loose spokes. I suspect BMW now realizes that they have a problem bigger than some scattered cases of loose spokes and is not shipping replacement wheels with the same problem, but better safe than sorry.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-Oct-2018, 10:16 PM (136) Thread Starter

Garage
Roger that. Iíll be checking them regularly for a while at least.

Iíd seen the threads on loose spokes but not having had spoked wheels before I didnít know that was the odd floppy feeling I had in the steering at low speed and didnít put the two together.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-Oct-2018, 08:18 PM (054)
Livin' the Dream

Garage
Unhappy Yup. Ditto

My 2018 with 1,300 miles on it after just over a month is in the shop under warranty a well. 5 to 7 business days to get a replacement wheel. Sucks being without it because I commute on it and my other option for 2 wheels isn't exactly a comfort to ride...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2018, 03:39 PM (860)

Discussion from Wheel Guru Woody..

...if you're a subscriber on ADVrider & care to read more,there's a discussion by the famous Woody about the care & feeding of BMW wire wheels...search for "straightening /truing/rebuilding GS wheels"

Feel free to contact Wood directly for more information. Go to woodyswheelworks dot com

I have no affiliation. Cheers, Magile

Last edited by Magile; 10-Oct-2018 at 03:43 PM (863).
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2018, 05:20 PM (930)
Livin' the Dream

Garage
Exclamation Safety Issue??

After 5 days, I finally got the bike back with a new rear wheel. The reason it took so long is because the warranty paperwork is so lengthy now that BMW Motorrad seems to be trying to very difficult for dealers to submit claims. I was told about another customer who took her 2018 GSA to Alaska and while up there had to have BOTH the front and rear wheels replaced. She went to the Anchorage BMW dealer, who couldn't get any replacement wheels in short order, and they replaced her wheels with a bike from the showroom floor. After she returned to Sacramento, she had to have BOTH WHEELS REPLACED AGAIN... I'd say BMW has a real safety problem here.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2018, 06:59 PM (999)

Garage
had my rear wheel replaced 1,000 miles ago they are still tight... 7 or less they tighten them... more than 7 yu get a new wheel..

Pat from Jersey
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 13-Oct-2018, 06:03 PM (960)

loose spokes

Just took my 3000 miles 2018 GSA in to the dealer for a oscillating vibration. Starts at 72 mph gets worse at 75-78 mph. They balanced the frt tire then replaced the frt tire. Still has vibration. I took it back to the dealer and left it. Im sure its the wheels or at the least rear wheel. I ran the bike on the center stand last night and could see the rear wheel going up and down. Dont wanna argue with them but I want new wheels

ed
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2018, 08:53 PM (078) Thread Starter

Garage
Follow up

Just to follow up and finish the story, they replaced the wheels on time under warranty and the wobble is gone. A quick check and no loose spokes.

I put another 1000 miles on and still tight. Needless to say Iíll be keeping an eye on them.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2018, 08:55 PM (080) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magile View Post
...if you're a subscriber on ADVrider & care to read more,there's a discussion by the famous Woody about the care & feeding of BMW wire wheels...search for "straightening /truing/rebuilding GS wheels"

Feel free to contact Wood directly for more information. Go to woodyswheelworks dot com

I have no affiliation. Cheers, Magile
Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
spoked wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in