standard to low suspension - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2018, 11:38 AM (735) Thread Starter

standard to low suspension

I know its been discussed a lot but I saw a video today and the guy stated that the low suspensions 50 mm lowering makes the rake and trail different and stiffens the suspension making it not as comfortable. Any truth to this or if you've had both bikes any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2018, 11:57 AM (748)
GS (and DR)

Guess: to lower the suspension total suspension travel is reduced. To avoid bottoming out the suspension must be slightly stiffer. Both front and rear struts are changed with the lowering option. I would not expect the rake to change unless front and rear were lowered by different amounts. The wheelbase will get a little smaller.
Houdini likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2018, 04:42 PM (946)

I thought they actually "corrected" the geometry for the OEM lowered bikes. I've never ridden a standard height GSA, but based on my "butt", I find the ride to be just fine, this is even off-road on some really nasty washboard. I've had other ADV bikes including the Africa Twin, Super Tenere, and Triumph Tiger XCx and I would say it handles very well onroad and off-road....

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I know its been discussed a lot but I saw a video today and the guy stated that the low suspensions 50 mm lowering makes the rake and trail different and stiffens the suspension making it not as comfortable. Any truth to this or if you've had both bikes any comments would be appreciated.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-Jan-2019, 11:08 PM (214)

Some of the info I find on the web in regards to lowering a bike often refer only to lowering the rear suspension. This would cause the rake and trail to change. It would be best to clarify whether the author of the video was talking about lowering both the front and rear or only the rear.

Edit: I test rode both the standard and lowered heights of the GS and didn't notice much difference. (I bought the lowered version)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2019, 06:19 AM (513)

I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on this exact thing. As far as i’ve been able to work out, the only difference between the standard ride height and lowered version are the shocks (and the low version has the low seat as well). The low version has shocks that are 1” or 25mm shorter.

The frame and all other bits and pieces are exactly the same between the 2 versions of the bike. I used a BMW parts fiche to examine this difference.

I visited a dealer yesterday and they had a low version on the floor. I’m 5’ 7” tall with a 29” inseam and even with trainers on, I was almost flat foot on it.
Attached Images

- Joe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2019, 06:29 AM (520)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetheschmoe View Post
Iíve been doing a fair bit of research on this exact thing. As far as iíve been able to work out, the only difference between the standard ride height and lowered version are the shocks (and the low version has the low seat as well). The low version has shocks that are 1Ē or 25mm shorter.

The frame and all other bits and pieces are exactly the same between the 2 versions of the bike. I used a BMW parts fiche to examine this difference.
Aren't the stands any different?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-Jan-2019, 06:36 AM (525)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayep View Post
Aren't the stands any different?
Yes, you are right. I just checked the parts fiche and see that there is a different part number for shorter side and centre stand.

I stand corrected. 🙂

- Joe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 01:42 AM (321)

I recently took delivery of my new R1250GS with OEM lowered suspension. My previous bike was a 2017 R1200GS (standard suspension). I have definitely noticed a slower turn-in, immediately from leaving the dealership. I have no reason to attribute this to the lowered suspension, and I have researched the issue but have found no connection. But I can't help wondering.

Thinking it might be a slight spec change in the new model, I have checked the specs for the old R1200GS and the new R1250GS and notice that the critical rake/trail specs and wheelbase dimensions are identical. I assume those dimensions are essentialy the same for the lowered-suspension version but have not been able to verify that fact.

I am wondering if it can be put down to the diferent tyres - the new Michelin Anakee Adventure on the 1250 as compared to the Michelin Anakee III on the previous bike. The new Michelins are quite a bit chunkier, but not extreme.

The difference in feeling with the handling on the new bike is quite marked and I preferred the old one which felt more "agile". The new one feels less inclined to tip-in so readily. The feeling is similar to that of an under-inflated tyre, so I will definitely experiment with higher pressures, but currently I have them at recommended pressures.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Last edited by Cocoa-Ice; 15-Dec-2019 at 03:37 AM (400).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 07:49 AM (576)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa-Ice View Post
I recently took delivery of my new R1250GS with OEM lowered suspension. My previous bike was a 2017 R1200GS (standard suspension). I have definitely noticed a slower turn-in, immediately from leaving the dealership. I have no reason to attribute this to the lowered suspension, and I have researched the issue but have found no connection. But I can't help wondering.

Thinking it might be a slight spec change in the new model, I have checked the specs for the old R1200GS and the new R1250GS and notice that the critical rake/trail specs and wheelbase dimensions are identical. I assume those dimensions are essentialy the same for the lowered-suspension version but have not been able to verify that fact.

I am wondering if it can be put down to the diferent tyres - the new Michelin Anakee Adventure on the 1250 as compared to the Michelin Anakee III on the previous bike. The new Michelins are quite a bit chunkier, but not extreme.

The difference in feeling with the handling on the new bike is quite marked and I preferred the old one which felt more "agile". The new one feels less inclined to tip-in so readily. The feeling is similar to that of an under-inflated tyre, so I will definitely experiment with higher pressures, but currently I have them at recommended pressures.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Thats the tires! Have experienced the same thing with a change of tires....I felt I was just gonna tip
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-Dec-2019, 09:08 AM (631) Thread Starter

I started this thread awhile ago as I wasn't sure I wanted another std GSA. My 2009 felt unconforatble in certain situations (mostly parking and uneven ground when on the side stand). I was thinking that the lowered unit would be a better suit for me. So after buying the STD GSA in June just a few notes on why I went with the standard instead of the lowered unit. First of all I just felt the lowered unit didn't feel right for me. Secondly what really convinced me is that you can set the suspension on minimum on the new bike and it lowers the bike enough for me to flat foot the bike. That and now days the side stand keeps the bike more upright making getting of the side stand a snap. Really enjoying the 1250 and am glad I went with the standard GSA.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide (gone):

2009 GSA
2019 1250 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode