Music and calls glitchy nav 6 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-Feb-2019, 10:12 AM (675) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
virkdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chandigarh, India
Posts: 411
Garage
Music and calls glitchy nav 6

Using a nav6 connected to Scala packtalk Bold and Iphone Xs
Everything works well except when the music is playing it cuts out for a second and resumes again every few minutes this happens
Also when i get a call and hit answer the call is not immediatley answered....there is a lag and sometimes a shrill noise comes before the call is connected.
Everything is updated
virkdoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 04:15 AM (427)
Member
 
BigBuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 30
Garage
Mine does the same. I have a packtalk slim connected to a samsung s6 though. I dont experience the call lag issues. The music cutout is aggravating though. When I use the radio function there are no problems. I've gone through 2-3 firmware updates on the nav6 in 18 months or so. The music cutoff has been there since day 1.

2017 GSA Triple Black with all the fixins
2008 Yamaha R6 - retired
2008 Suzuki Boulevard - retired
BigBuf is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 04:38 AM (443)
LAS
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chappaqua, New York
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Using a nav6 connected to Scala packtalk Bold and Iphone Xs
Everything works well except when the music is playing it cuts out for a second and resumes again every few minutes this happens
Also when i get a call and hit answer the call is not immediatley answered....there is a lag and sometimes a shrill noise comes before the call is connected.
Everything is updated
I know that many set their music and phone functions to work through the Nav, but I have not understood why one would want to do so. Going through the Nav adds an extra Bluetooth connection that can fail and causes a degradation in sound quality. What are the advantages to going through the Nav?
LAS is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 05:01 AM (459) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
virkdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chandigarh, India
Posts: 411
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
I know that many set their music and phone functions to work through the Nav, but I have not understood why one would want to do so. Going through the Nav adds an extra Bluetooth connection that can fail and causes a degradation in sound quality. What are the advantages to going through the Nav?
I think the only advantage of connecting it this way is:
1) The incoming phone number flashes on the Nav
2) The smartlink app works
3) That provides traffic update which is free in india at the moment
virkdoc is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 07:13 AM (550)
LAS
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chappaqua, New York
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
I think the only advantage of connecting it this way is:
1) The incoming phone number flashes on the Nav
2) The smartlink app works
3) That provides traffic update which is free in india at the moment

I pair the phone to my Nav but not for phone or music functions. For these, I just use the phone pairing to my communicator, a Packtalk Bold at present. I have my phone mounted on my bars. I can see the caller ID on my phone’s screen when I get calls. The Smart Link app works and the GPS provides traffic with this set up. I can also work my phone, make and answer calls, change music tracks etc. using voice commands or the controls on my communicator that I find easier to use than the Nav’s buttons.
I also have a radar detector with Bluetooth capability that I pair to my phone for voice warnings. The sound quality from my phone is better than when it comes through the Nav and I don’t have the problems that are mentioned on this thread.

Last edited by LAS; 18-Feb-2019 at 07:17 AM (553).
LAS is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 07:47 AM (574) Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
virkdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chandigarh, India
Posts: 411
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
I pair the phone to my Nav but not for phone or music functions. For these, I just use the phone pairing to my communicator, a Packtalk Bold at present. I have my phone mounted on my bars. I can see the caller ID on my phone’s screen when I get calls. The Smart Link app works and the GPS provides traffic with this set up. I can also work my phone, make and answer calls, change music tracks etc. using voice commands or the controls on my communicator that I find easier to use than the Nav’s buttons.
I also have a radar detector with Bluetooth capability that I pair to my phone for voice warnings. The sound quality from my phone is better than when it comes through the Nav and I don’t have the problems that are mentioned on this thread.
LAS the heat and dust will kill the phone mounted on the bars in India.....though I have a Ram mount X grip in case I have to put the phone for sometime.
virkdoc is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 08:08 AM (589)
LAS
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chappaqua, New York
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
LAS the heat and dust will kill the phone mounted on the bars in India.....though I have a Ram mount X grip in case I have to put the phone for sometime.
You can wrap the phone in plastic or put it in a plastic ziplock bag for the dust issue, although iPhones and fairly dust proof. Can’t help with the heat, but I doubt there is anywhere short of packed with ice that will keep the phone cool while riding.
LAS is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 11:21 AM (723)
Senior Member
 
Crucian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Never Never Land aka St. Croix Virgin Islands
Posts: 316
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
You can wrap the phone in plastic or put it in a plastic ziplock bag for the dust issue......
Not a particularly elegant solution.....
Crucian is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 01:48 PM (825)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lincoln Co, North Carolina
Posts: 231
I don't have any problem with my phone (connected through the Nav VI) or music with my Sena.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
ExHarley Rider is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 02:08 PM (839)
LAS
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Chappaqua, New York
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Not a particularly elegant solution.....
Maybe not, but in a harsh climat where dust and heat can damage an iPhone just by riding with it mounted on a motorcycle’s bars as the OP states, elegance and functionality together may not be possible. For me, functionality will win over elegance every time if I can’t have both. Do you have a more elegant solution than what I have proposed?
LAS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nav VI no wonder wheel volume for music app fampton Accessories 7 20-Sep-2018 03:36 AM (358)
Nav VI Music/MP3 won't play Vatu General chatter 28 05-Dec-2017 08:56 AM (622)
Music played on Nav V and BMW communicator? Avocet GPS Info 7 16-Jul-2017 12:45 PM (739)
Nav 6 calls and music GC101 General chatter 2 15-Jul-2017 09:11 AM (590)
Close calls and karma Scotty Crash stories 3 28-Aug-2013 06:17 PM (970)

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome