Music and calls glitchy nav 6 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-Feb-2019, 10:12 AM (675) Thread Starter

Garage
Music and calls glitchy nav 6

Using a nav6 connected to Scala packtalk Bold and Iphone Xs
Everything works well except when the music is playing it cuts out for a second and resumes again every few minutes this happens
Also when i get a call and hit answer the call is not immediatley answered....there is a lag and sometimes a shrill noise comes before the call is connected.
Everything is updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 04:15 AM (427)

Garage
Mine does the same. I have a packtalk slim connected to a samsung s6 though. I dont experience the call lag issues. The music cutout is aggravating though. When I use the radio function there are no problems. I've gone through 2-3 firmware updates on the nav6 in 18 months or so. The music cutoff has been there since day 1.

2017 GSA Triple Black with all the fixins
2008 Yamaha R6 - retired
2008 Suzuki Boulevard - retired
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 04:38 AM (443)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Using a nav6 connected to Scala packtalk Bold and Iphone Xs
Everything works well except when the music is playing it cuts out for a second and resumes again every few minutes this happens
Also when i get a call and hit answer the call is not immediatley answered....there is a lag and sometimes a shrill noise comes before the call is connected.
Everything is updated
I know that many set their music and phone functions to work through the Nav, but I have not understood why one would want to do so. Going through the Nav adds an extra Bluetooth connection that can fail and causes a degradation in sound quality. What are the advantages to going through the Nav?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 05:01 AM (459) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
I know that many set their music and phone functions to work through the Nav, but I have not understood why one would want to do so. Going through the Nav adds an extra Bluetooth connection that can fail and causes a degradation in sound quality. What are the advantages to going through the Nav?
I think the only advantage of connecting it this way is:
1) The incoming phone number flashes on the Nav
2) The smartlink app works
3) That provides traffic update which is free in india at the moment
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 07:13 AM (550)
LAS

Quote:
I think the only advantage of connecting it this way is:
1) The incoming phone number flashes on the Nav
2) The smartlink app works
3) That provides traffic update which is free in india at the moment

I pair the phone to my Nav but not for phone or music functions. For these, I just use the phone pairing to my communicator, a Packtalk Bold at present. I have my phone mounted on my bars. I can see the caller ID on my phone’s screen when I get calls. The Smart Link app works and the GPS provides traffic with this set up. I can also work my phone, make and answer calls, change music tracks etc. using voice commands or the controls on my communicator that I find easier to use than the Nav’s buttons.
I also have a radar detector with Bluetooth capability that I pair to my phone for voice warnings. The sound quality from my phone is better than when it comes through the Nav and I don’t have the problems that are mentioned on this thread.

Last edited by LAS; 18-Feb-2019 at 07:17 AM (553).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 07:47 AM (574) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I pair the phone to my Nav but not for phone or music functions. For these, I just use the phone pairing to my communicator, a Packtalk Bold at present. I have my phone mounted on my bars. I can see the caller ID on my phone’s screen when I get calls. The Smart Link app works and the GPS provides traffic with this set up. I can also work my phone, make and answer calls, change music tracks etc. using voice commands or the controls on my communicator that I find easier to use than the Nav’s buttons.
I also have a radar detector with Bluetooth capability that I pair to my phone for voice warnings. The sound quality from my phone is better than when it comes through the Nav and I don’t have the problems that are mentioned on this thread.
LAS the heat and dust will kill the phone mounted on the bars in India.....though I have a Ram mount X grip in case I have to put the phone for sometime.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 08:08 AM (589)
LAS

Quote:
LAS the heat and dust will kill the phone mounted on the bars in India.....though I have a Ram mount X grip in case I have to put the phone for sometime.
You can wrap the phone in plastic or put it in a plastic ziplock bag for the dust issue, although iPhones and fairly dust proof. Can’t help with the heat, but I doubt there is anywhere short of packed with ice that will keep the phone cool while riding.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 11:21 AM (723)

Garage
Quote:
You can wrap the phone in plastic or put it in a plastic ziplock bag for the dust issue......
Not a particularly elegant solution.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 01:48 PM (825)

I don't have any problem with my phone (connected through the Nav VI) or music with my Sena.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Feb-2019, 02:08 PM (839)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Not a particularly elegant solution.....
Maybe not, but in a harsh climat where dust and heat can damage an iPhone just by riding with it mounted on a motorcycle’s bars as the OP states, elegance and functionality together may not be possible. For me, functionality will win over elegance every time if I can’t have both. Do you have a more elegant solution than what I have proposed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode