R1200LC GSA vs Ducati Multistrada Enduro - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2019, 07:16 AM (552)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo5000 View Post
Go take a 2019 R1250GS for a test ride. The power and torque improvements are impressive.
Agree! My 1250 GS HO should arrive any day now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2019, 08:08 AM (589)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsinid View Post
I've owned a '15 Multi 1200S Touring and my current '18 R1200GS and can say the following:

1) BMW holds it's value better.
2) Comparable wind protection between non-adventure and multi S Touring
3) Multi romps GS for on street performance (don't know about dirt as I don't ride it)
4) Comparable comfort, TBH stock seats on both are too soft if you aren't built like a teenage girl.
5) Multi service is cheaper as intervals are farther apart and require less time and the 1250 requires even less time than the 1200 for the non-major services. Dealers are generally charging the same labor rates for Ducati and BMW here.
6) Ducati parts are comparably prices to BMW
7) Ducati accessories are much, much cheaper and the Ducati secondary market is much larger than BMW.

Clarification, when I refer to the secondary market; I'm referring to the ability to purchase good condition used parts from forums, ebay, craigslist, etc for a reasonable price.
My buddy says completely the opposite.....
He has the multistrada enduro 2016
Hates the seat cos he says you get stuck IN it and cant move much
In India the multis service is more expensive than the BMWs plus dealerships are far and few
he says one can find more stuff for the BMW than the ducati on ebay etc......
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-Mar-2019, 01:28 PM (811)

Garage
I would assume that the India vs USA experience is going to play a part in much of this, both dealer experience and ebay. Additionally, my closest dealers are both BMW and Ducati which makes things easier since I pay the same rates for BMW and Ducati. My comparison for service would be parts, service time, and service interval.

Of course the rider comfort is going to be dependent on the rider; I hate my GS, the next guy loves it.

And the ebay or secondary market experience would be dependent on location as well.

2018 S1000RR "650ib Edition"
2018 R1200GS

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 12:33 AM (231)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
Emphasis on “slightly”
Difference of the Enduro to the "normal" Multi
Double sided swingarm
more suspension travel
larger tank
heavier
longer wheelbase
taller
19 inch front wheel

IF that's slightly, then I hit the mark

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 05:39 AM (444)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
BMW’s S1000XR is more like the Multi than the R1200GS or GSA. Last year, Motorcycle.com did a shootout on and off road of the heavy adventure bikes; GSA, Africa Twin, Tiger, KTM1299R, Multistrada, the VStrom and the Super Tenere’ the consensus was that the Multi was fun in pavement but not up to most of the competition in most categories. The GSA was favored almost unanimously on the paved roads portion. The Africa Twin and the KTM were favored on the off road portion with honorable mention for the VStrom. In fairness, the Multi was not available for the dirt portion, but there was some dirt on the first portion and it didn’t do well there. See YouTube “2018 Big-Bore Adventure Shootout.” Don’t know how to include a link.
I just watched that video last week and they were not able to get their hands on the Ducati Enduro model if I remember correctly so that is the reason it did not do so well off road.

Plus the new Ducati 1260 uses the same motor as the Diavel and it is even faster than the new R1250 and more like the KTM. The R1250 is still the better overall bike for long distance touring and ability off-road combined, according to the reviews for the so-called experts, but the KTM and new 1260 Ducati do have more power. It's all in how you want to use the bike and while I am an adrenaline junkie and love lots of power I'm still leaning towards the BMW for more overall enjoyment. You will only notice the power loss if you go ride them both back to back. If you only own one you will only care about what you have and the BMW still has plenty.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 09:02 AM (585)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revilok View Post
I just watched that video last week and they were not able to get their hands on the Ducati Enduro model if I remember correctly so that is the reason it did not do so well off road.

Plus the new Ducati 1260 uses the same motor as the Diavel and it is even faster than the new R1250 and more like the KTM. The R1250 is still the better overall bike for long distance touring and ability off-road combined, according to the reviews for the so-called experts, but the KTM and new 1260 Ducati do have more power. It's all in how you want to use the bike and while I am an adrenaline junkie and love lots of power I'm still leaning towards the BMW for more overall enjoyment. You will only notice the power loss if you go ride them both back to back. If you only own one you will only care about what you have and the BMW still has plenty.
Another thing I noticed with my buddies Ducati Multistrada Enduro, that thing is top heavy, it feels its gonna tip over!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 10:12 AM (633)

Tempted to buy a Ducati?

Word to the wise!

Don't!

Made in Italy.

I rest my case.
devashishchanana likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 10:51 AM (661)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
Don't! Made in Italy. I rest my case.
Bang goes the gavel. Your case is dismissed.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 12:53 PM (745)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
I am going to lodge (file) an appeal 😉
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Apr-2019, 02:18 PM (804)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
If you watch the video that was referenced earlier, I believe it was that one anyway, not long after they hit the trails the guy on the Honda Africa Twin laid it down on the left side and the case cover over the stator busted open on a tree root. I would expect that on almost any bike without engine guards if you lay it down on the rocks but, a tree root? They tried to play it off but I was thinking that the Honda would definitely not be one of my choices if it is that fragile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode