R1200LC GSA vs Ducati Multistrada Enduro - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2019, 07:27 PM (060) Thread Starter

R1200LC GSA vs Ducati Multistrada Enduro

I love my 15 GSA, BUT my good friend just bought a 18' Ducati Multi Strada Enduro and let me ride it. HOLY CRAP IS IT FAST!!! OMG that exhaust sound!!! It has the power when/if you need it. The bike demands a skilled rider to get the best out of it. The BMW has way better wind protection and a driveshaft. I think the BMW LOOKS better and more aggressive. I must say, while I love the GSA, if the Ducati had a shaft drive I think Ide be speaking Italian right now. Have any of you ridden both? What did you think? I love my bike , but it is soooo tempting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2019, 07:42 PM (071)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo616 View Post
I love my 15 GSA, BUT my good friend just bought a 18' Ducati Multi Strada Enduro and let me ride it. HOLY CRAP IS IT FAST!!! OMG that exhaust sound!!! It has the power when/if you need it. The bike demands a skilled rider to get the best out of it. The BMW has way better wind protection and a driveshaft. I think the BMW LOOKS better and more aggressive. I must say, while I love the GSA, if the Ducati had a shaft drive I think Ide be speaking Italian right now. Have any of you ridden both? What did you think? I love my bike , but it is soooo tempting
Ridden both, my best buddy has one.....uncomfortable as hell, the seat is weird and uncomfy, top heavy.....in a drag both are similar......the beemer has better torque characteristics.......
Parts are expensive as hell, even more than the BMW.....and it doesnt hold its value......compared to a beemer, plus as you said shaft drive.....
but its good looking no doubt
devashishchanana likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2019, 07:46 PM (073)

Garage
Sharing a picture for reference......it is good looking no doubt but a beemer anyday for me
Attached Images

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-Mar-2019, 07:48 PM (075)

I've ridden both along with a Hayabusa. I don't need that much power anymore. Give me torque!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-Mar-2019, 01:15 AM (302)
LAS

BMW’s S1000XR is more like the Multi than the R1200GS or GSA. Last year, Motorcycle.com did a shootout on and off road of the heavy adventure bikes; GSA, Africa Twin, Tiger, KTM1299R, Multistrada, the VStrom and the Super Tenere’ the consensus was that the Multi was fun in pavement but not up to most of the competition in most categories. The GSA was favored almost unanimously on the paved roads portion. The Africa Twin and the KTM were favored on the off road portion with honorable mention for the VStrom. In fairness, the Multi was not available for the dirt portion, but there was some dirt on the first portion and it didn’t do well there. See YouTube “2018 Big-Bore Adventure Shootout.” Don’t know how to include a link.

Last edited by LAS; 05-Mar-2019 at 01:28 AM (311).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2019, 02:16 PM (844)

Garage
I've owned a '15 Multi 1200S Touring and my current '18 R1200GS and can say the following:

1) BMW holds it's value better.
2) Comparable wind protection between non-adventure and multi S Touring
3) Multi romps GS for on street performance (don't know about dirt as I don't ride it)
4) Comparable comfort, TBH stock seats on both are too soft if you aren't built like a teenage girl.
5) Multi service is cheaper as intervals are farther apart and require less time and the 1250 requires even less time than the 1200 for the non-major services. Dealers are generally charging the same labor rates for Ducati and BMW here.
6) Ducati parts are comparably prices to BMW
7) Ducati accessories are much, much cheaper and the Ducati secondary market is much larger than BMW.

Clarification, when I refer to the secondary market; I'm referring to the ability to purchase good condition used parts from forums, ebay, craigslist, etc for a reasonable price.

2018 S1000RR "650ib Edition"
2018 R1200GS
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2019, 06:30 PM (020) Thread Starter

What did you think of the Ducati exhausts sound? Please guys, don't get me wrong, I love my GSA, but that power along with the exhausts note was tempting. Yes, I have seen every comparison of adventure bikes by motorcycle.com for the past several years. Seeing it on YouTube was noting like experiencing it in person. At the end of the day, I will remain within the BMW fold. But I ,like most of you, do appreciate what some of the others do to become king of the hill. In the end, it pushes BMW to continually raise the bar and we benefit from it. Ride Safe Amigos
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2019, 05:00 AM (458)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS View Post
BMW’s S1000XR is more like the Multi
Multistrada Enduro, not Multistrada. Slightly different motorcycles!

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2019, 05:58 AM (499)

Go take a 2019 R1250GS for a test ride. The power and torque improvements are impressive.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2019, 07:14 AM (551)
LAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcimark View Post
Multistrada Enduro, not Multistrada. Slightly different motorcycles!
Emphasis on “slightly”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode