Strange R1250GS engine noise. - Page 11 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-Jun-2019, 06:27 AM (477) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
Dear Maturerider,

To my knowledge this is a so-called puma-message which is distributed to ALL (European) BMW-dealers but has to be offcially translated from the original German language to the local languages by the respective importers, and which takes some more time in certain countries than in other.

PuMA : the acronym means Problem and Measures management Aftersales or in German: Problem und Massnahmenmanagement Aftersales.
Dear Slijkmoto,

Being a cynic (moi!) I suspect, even if they did receive this PuMA communication, most dealers would deny receiving it. Anything for an easy life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-Jun-2019, 06:54 AM (496)

Dear Maturerider,

Being a fellow-cynic, I am not too surprised to learn recently that my French dealer WHO HAS NO LESS THAN 4 OTHER CUSTOMERS WITH THE SAME COMPLAINT, didn't even bother to issue a PuMA himself towards the French BMW importer... the law of the least effort indeed...

So I think it is the wiser option for now to swallow our loss and accept the fact that we bought our R1250GS perhaps too soon... the fate of many early adopters, I am afraid...

However I'll keep my ears peeled and as soon as it appears that a solution for this noise is found (or something will be changed in the production of future versions of this bike in order to remedy it) I'll demand that mine will be adapted as well...under warranty and free of charge.

My case is well documented at least...

Last edited by Slijkmoto; 07-Jun-2019 at 07:04 AM (503).
post #103 of 262 (permalink) Old 14-Jun-2019, 03:28 PM (852) Thread Starter

Dear Slijkmoto,

Recently I called into my BMW dealer and asked if he had received a puma message about our annoying and strange noise. After several minutes in front of his computer screen he, unsurprisingly, said there nothing to report on this issue.

I can only assume that puma messages were only sent to dealers with 'very critical customers' who complained about this issue. Obviously they didn't bother to relate my concerns about this noise to BMW when I complained to them several weeks ago.

He did explain that puma messages were highly confidential and only for the eyes of BMW dealers. You are most fortunate to have such an enlightened dealer.

post #104 of 262 (permalink) Old 15-Jun-2019, 07:14 AM (509)

Dear Maturerider,

Luckily for me we have a mutual professional relationship which allows an open exchange of (verbal) information.
As for my French dealer however, he too is a big fan of the law of the lesser effort : it is way easier to explain to your complaining clients that
"nothing can be done about a certain issue, because BMW says so" than to actively search for a solution.
I presume therefor that your UK dealer has well received the Puma which is distributed by its nature to ALL (European) dealers but prefers to deny it to his customers....
On a positive note : a guy I know with an R1250GSA who complained about a seemingly similar noise since day one, has written yesterday that after 5.000 kms it's volume has greatly decreased to a barely audible level...
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
post #105 of 262 (permalink) Old 15-Jun-2019, 09:11 AM (590) Thread Starter

Dear Slijkmoto,

Although the noise is still there I am trying my best to ignore it. From when I first heard it I have always been, first and foremost, concerned that damage was happening to my engine. Tradionally a knocking sound will only get worse.

Now I know that the cause (allegedly) is 'normal' I am less worried.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Maturerider; 15-Jun-2019 at 09:13 AM (592).
post #106 of 262 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 09:33 AM (606)

The noise that I described earlier in this thread was speed rather than engine revolution related (which is why tyre noise was suspected). I am not sure how intake of air could cause this? Surely the noise would be related to throttle position and engine revs (as heard more clearly when riding a bike with foam filters rather than an air box). There may well be extra air box resonance on the 1250 that can be detected by 'critical customers' but I don't think that this what I could hear. Another test ride I think.
post #107 of 262 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 09:35 AM (607)

The noise that I described earlier in this thread was speed rather than engine revolution related (which is why tyre noise was suspected). I am not sure how intake of air could cause this? Surely the noise would be related to throttle position and engine revs (as heard more clearly when riding a bike with foam filters rather than an air box). There may well be extra air box resonance on the 1250 that can be detected by 'critical customers' but I don't think that this is what I could hear. Another test ride I think.
post #108 of 262 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2019, 01:47 AM (283) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150 View Post
The noise that I described earlier in this thread was speed rather than engine revolution related (which is why tyre noise was suspected). I am not sure how intake of air could cause this? Surely the noise would be related to throttle position and engine revs (as heard more clearly when riding a bike with foam filters rather than an air box). There may well be extra air box resonance on the 1250 that can be detected by 'critical customers' but I don't think that this is what I could hear. Another test ride I think.
I think your noise is a different noise. Mine definitely comes from the engine and is not speed related. It can only be heard under slight load when maintaining speed up a slope at lower revs, for example 50mph in top gear which relates to approx 2,800 rpm.

I am learning to ignore the noise and enjoy the bike since apparently engine damage is not occurring.
post #109 of 262 (permalink) Old 26-Jun-2019, 05:55 AM (455)

Bennetts Review:

From a Bennetts review:
"The new 1250 also has a quieter exhaust note than the 1200 Ė less chuff, more of a deeper purr. The loudest noise while Iím riding is the rumble of the road surface under the front end. Or maybe itís just down to a heavy Welsh session the night before. "

I think that unless you get straight off a 1200 (or 1150) and onto a 1250 it might be easy to dismiss the extra noise as road surface or tyres.
This reviewer obviously noticed something that was enough to comment on.
post #110 of 262 (permalink) Old 13-Jul-2019, 04:19 PM (888)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
My 2017 makes a pinging rattle if I wack the throttle when in too low an RPM range.
Your 50MPH in 6th gear is too high. Try 4th gear at 50 around town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode