Strange R1250GS engine noise. - Page 12 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 146 (permalink) Old 13-Jul-2019, 03:21 PM (847)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Way out there
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
It makes the same noise when accelerating from 50mph in 4th, 5th or 6th!!!

Been doing some more research. Read a road test report where the author referred to a 'whirring mechanical sound'. This might be what I'm hearing. Could be a characteristic of the 1250 engine.

Matter of interest - does anyone on this Forum have a R1250GS? Perhaps there's a clue in the name, BMW R1200GS Forum?
Running premium fuel right?
JMB711 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 146 (permalink) Old 13-Jul-2019, 03:28 PM (853)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Way out there
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
Every BMW I've owned makes a weird agricultural sound.

F800GT: Rattling grinding sound.
R1200RT: Sewing machine
K75S: Weird George Jettson whine.
R1200GS: Rattlely
G650GS: Clack Clack

Everyone says "It's normal."

I think these engines are designed to only really have enough metal to handle the load on the component and that finely tuned machining just contributes to each bikes characteristic sound.
Harley's make mechanical noise as well. Now you know why they put LOUD PIPES on em.Drowns out the clatter...
I run regular in my LC 1800 goldwing and have never heard a a peep from it in 214000 miles..But my 17 GSA with 12.5
compression...Premium all the way.
JMB711 is offline  
post #113 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 02:34 AM (315)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 54
Please read the previous posts : it has nothing to do with the quality of fuel, but everything with a so-called unavoidable renonance in the throttle bodies.
Slijkmoto is offline  
 
post #114 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 09:54 AM (620) Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
Please read the previous posts : it has nothing to do with the quality of fuel, but everything with a so-called unavoidable renonance in the throttle bodies.
My R1250GS is still making the strange noise. I am trying to ignore it but at 5500 miles I'm convinced it is getting louder.
Maturerider is offline  
post #115 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 11:16 PM (178)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
My R1250GS is still making the strange noise. I am trying to ignore it but at 5500 miles I'm convinced it is getting louder.
Hello everybody,
I have the same problem - noise engine (or noise motorbike)!!!
Production 2/2019 (mileage 4300 km)
Service in the Czech Republic does not know anything and does not want to (PuMA).
I have an interesting finding. Maybe the throttles are not !!!
When I drive the motorbike 60km / h and turn off the engine ... the sound will still be the same (but throttle bodies are off !!!).
The sound comes either from cardan or from wheel bearings.

What do you think?
Fi-kus (Czech Republic)
Fi-kus is offline  
post #116 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2019, 11:55 PM (205)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 54
Your noise may be tire related, which is more common.
Mine disappears when slowing down or simply coasting (with engine running)

@Maturerider : same here : frantically trying to ignore the blasted noise that keeps on getting louder.

Last week my French dealer checked the throttle bodies on my bike and found nothing out of the ordinary.... no surprise here.

I was temporarily loaned a brand new R1250RT with only 400 kms on the clocks... which made exactly the same strange noise as mine, but possibly a bit more muffled because of the more extensive bodywork of an RT.

According to my French dealer more and more 1250’s are making this noise which has to be treated by them as being ‘normal’ (PuMA).

Last edited by Slijkmoto; 15-Jul-2019 at 12:11 AM (215).
Slijkmoto is offline  
post #117 of 146 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2019, 03:14 AM (343) Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
Your noise may be tire related, which is more common.
Mine disappears when slowing down or simply coasting (with engine running)

@Maturerider : same here : frantically trying to ignore the blasted noise that keeps on getting louder.

Last week my French dealer checked the throttle bodies on my bike and found nothing out of the ordinary.... no surprise here.

I was temporarily loaned a brand new R1250RT with only 400 kms on the clocks... which made exactly the same strange noise as mine, but possibly a bit more muffled because of the more extensive bodywork of an RT.

According to my French dealer more and more 1250’s are making this noise which has to be treated by them as being ‘normal’ (PuMA).
If this strange noise is caused by resonance in the throttle bodies why is it getting louder with increasing miles? If on investigation your dealer found nothing untoward with the throttle bodies surely the noise must be something mechanical which is prematurely wearing rather than resonance.

As I have said before on this thread if a knocking/rattle in an engine under load gets worse it is something to be concerned about. Especially if it gets louder over time.

The mystery continues.
Maturerider is offline  
post #118 of 146 (permalink) Old 20-Jul-2019, 04:22 PM (890)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 54
Exactly my own remarks... without a solid answer from my dealer, who obviously is losing interest in the matter and will be on holiday shortly.
Apparently it is extremely hard to convey one's worries regarding "just a noise", whereas it ruins my riding fun.
I more and more intend trading in this motorcycle for one with an entirely different engine type, but which one ????
Let's see what the MY 2020 brings...
Slijkmoto is offline  
post #119 of 146 (permalink) Old 21-Jul-2019, 11:07 AM (671)
Senile Member on 2006 GS
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ill-Annoy, USA
Posts: 257
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
Exactly my own remarks... without a solid answer from my dealer, who obviously is losing interest in the matter and will be on holiday shortly.
Apparently it is extremely hard to convey one's worries regarding "just a noise", whereas it ruins my riding fun.
I more and more intend trading in this motorcycle for one with an entirely different engine type, but which one ????
Let's see what the MY 2020 brings...
My prediction: active noise cancellation in the airbox. Not retrofittable to the 2019 model.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
saughblade is offline  
post #120 of 146 (permalink) Old 21-Jul-2019, 03:33 PM (856) Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
My prediction: active noise cancellation in the airbox. Not retrofittable to the 2019 model.
How would that work????
Maturerider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange Headlight Problem (low beam) ca1ic0cat General chatter 7 01-Apr-2019 02:09 PM (798)
2015 GSA LC Strange Ticks/noise (Clutch) translate Maintenance and Modifications 4 22-May-2016 05:38 AM (443)
Strange bump RandyGarner General chatter 15 04-Oct-2015 06:55 PM (997)
Idel rough strange attitude. Valken Maintenance and Modifications 5 11-Nov-2011 03:44 AM (405)
Strange leak ??? FREDO_RIDER General chatter 5 18-Nov-2007 06:54 PM (037)

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome