Strange R1250GS engine noise. - Page 14 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 220 (permalink) Old 29-Jul-2019, 10:46 AM (657)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
Pleased to hear I am not alone in experiencing this strange engine noise. I wonder if all 1250s make this noise or just a few of us? Rather surprised motorcycle journalists haven't noticed it. As I said before, having read a lot of reviews, only one journalist referred to a strange 'whirring mechanical sound' which may or not be what we are hearing. Hope our engines don't one day go 'bang'. All rather bizarre.
It's a weak data point, but I found the 1250 I test rode off-road for 4 - 5 hours a few weekends ago was noticeably noisier than my 2016 1200GS.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 220 (permalink) Old 29-Jul-2019, 01:11 PM (758)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoss View Post
In the same boat. Was soo looking forward to livín the dream and packing away some long trips on the 1250. But now even in my short daily commute I find myself opting for the train. Unthinkable 6-months ago.

Hard to switch brands after a 30 year love affair with the GS, but as my other love aptly puts, it ainít gunna get quieter by not riding. See a 2020, 1290 on the horizon.
Same here, the KTM 1290 of MY 2020 should have a lower center of gravity and better ergonomics than the outgoing model and I am extremely interested in it... a pity after 10 Beemers whereof 8 GS's...
post #133 of 220 (permalink) Old 29-Jul-2019, 04:13 PM (884)

Garage
I'm starting to hear strange 1250 noise and I don't even own one? Just kidding guys but I will offer to trade a 2017 GSA, 20,000 miles, superbly outfitted, for a 1250, even-steven. My 1200 makes some noise..."Faster faster faster" she said, "Further further further".

post #134 of 220 (permalink) Old 31-Jul-2019, 05:07 AM (422)

Yeah, you can laugh, pal, but it isn't funny at all... my 1250 makes ALL the noises your 1200 makes (but LOUDER) PLUS this new rattling, ear plugs piercing whine ...
it's a damn shame for such an otherwise very accomplished bike...

Last edited by Slijkmoto; 31-Jul-2019 at 05:12 AM (425).
post #135 of 220 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2019, 02:33 AM (315) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
Yeah, you can laugh, pal, but it isn't funny at all... my 1250 makes ALL the noises your 1200 makes (but LOUDER) PLUS this new rattling, ear plugs piercing whine ...
it's a damn shame for such an otherwise very accomplished bike...
I thought our strange noise issue was a rattle when the bike is under slight load but now you are referring to a 'ear piercing whine'. Do you have a rattle AND a whine?

If the rattle is air intake resonance (allegedly) what do you think is causing the whine, which my bike doesn't have.

Confused.
post #136 of 220 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2019, 03:14 PM (843)

No need : I am not a native English speaker and it's not really ear piercing , but the high pitched rattling noise gets through both my silent helmet and earplugs under slight load and when maintaining a steady speed... judge for yourself :

well, a MP4 attachment is not allowed for uploading on this site; if you'll send me a PB with your e-mail address , I'll send you the video fragment, which was distributed by BMW containing the noise.
post #137 of 220 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 03:07 AM (338)

Hi

Im new to the site so unsure if you ever got to the bottom of the engine rattle? I have exactly the same issue with my 1250 GSA, sometimes under load going up hills but also on flat roads at 65mph in 6th going for an overtake it rattles.

I have had 2 previous bikes a GS 2014 & GSA 2015 and although they would rattle that was due to me being in too high a gear and too low speed so that was to be expected, very much the same in manual car going through the gears 1st to 2nd to 3rd but missing 3rd and going straight to 5th same noise.

I took my bike to a dealer in Yorkshire on Saturday and expected a call back mid week with some new, they actually called me yesterday morning to say no faults found!, I insisted that they take it for a longer test ride which they did then called me back again to say "yes there is a rattle" but its comparable to their demonstrator and no where near a bad as the other 2 1250 they have in, one had to have a new clutch basket fitted and the other one had to have a new engine.

After reading the forums it seems there are some who are experiencing the same issues and given my dealer replacing parts on 2 other engines it would appear that there is a problem but not to every bike.

The dealer has agreed for me to loan their demonstrator this weekend so I can see if they are the same but after giving it some thought even if they are same noise it doesn't take away that ive got a bike that rattles like hell when accelerating and more so compared to the last 2 bikes ive owned.

id be interested to hear how you have gotten on if its been sorted or are you having to wait for things to get any worse

regards Jim
post #138 of 220 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 05:47 AM (449) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDon View Post
Hi

Im new to the site so unsure if you ever got to the bottom of the engine rattle? I have exactly the same issue with my 1250 GSA, sometimes under load going up hills but also on flat roads at 65mph in 6th going for an overtake it rattles.

I have had 2 previous bikes a GS 2014 & GSA 2015 and although they would rattle that was due to me being in too high a gear and too low speed so that was to be expected, very much the same in manual car going through the gears 1st to 2nd to 3rd but missing 3rd and going straight to 5th same noise.

I took my bike to a dealer in Yorkshire on Saturday and expected a call back mid week with some new, they actually called me yesterday morning to say no faults found!, I insisted that they take it for a longer test ride which they did then called me back again to say "yes there is a rattle" but its comparable to their demonstrator and no where near a bad as the other 2 1250 they have in, one had to have a new clutch basket fitted and the other one had to have a new engine.

After reading the forums it seems there are some who are experiencing the same issues and given my dealer replacing parts on 2 other engines it would appear that there is a problem but not to every bike.

The dealer has agreed for me to loan their demonstrator this weekend so I can see if they are the same but after giving it some thought even if they are same noise it doesn't take away that ive got a bike that rattles like hell when accelerating and more so compared to the last 2 bikes ive owned.

id be interested to hear how you have gotten on if its been sorted or are you having to wait for things to get any worse

regards Jim
When I started this thread I didn't expect to have nearly 140 replies and over 9500 views.

Sadly there appears to be no definitive answer to the cause of this strange rattle which happens when the engine is under load.

Slijkmoto, a regular contributor to this forum, has been informed by his dealer that BMW claim the noise is caused by resonance in the inlet tract. Personally I have my doubts. It sounds too mechanical. More like a knackered bearing.

Do I gather your dealer has replaced one R1250 engine and replaced a clutch basket on another PLUS 'replacing parts on 2 other engines'. Begs the question - are all in an attempt to remedy the strange annoying noise and, in particular, what parts were replaced the other two?
post #139 of 220 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 08:44 PM (072)

To all experiencing these strange noises, there is definitely something wrong with your bikes. I got a 1250 Friday ( a demo with 600 miles) and having just gotten off of a '17 1200, I can say without hesitation that this is the most quiet bike that I have ever been on. With foam earplugs in, I can just barely hear the engine, and with the Bridgestone tires, there is no road noise on any paved surface I have been on. Perhaps you would be more suited to a Honda Africa Twin or perhaps a Harley. I would suggest you get rid of the 1250 as soon as possible. Good Luck...
post #140 of 220 (permalink) Old 13-Aug-2019, 09:44 PM (114)

My Belgian dealer has one noisy 1250 demonstrator and one quiet one in his fleet.
Upon my suggestion he has promised in June to exchange their throttle bodies in order to check if the resonance noise moves from one bike to the other.
All of a sudden he doesn’t find the time to execute this simple task but PERHAPS some time in September (I bought 8 BMWs from him).
My French dealer has given up trying to find a solution since BMW issued a so-called Puma “explaining” the source of the resonance rattle.
I am partly living in France where my GS is kept permanently.
Next week I return to France and I am NOT looking forward to be riding again my R1250GS while hearing this annoying rattle all the time .
So yes, I am most curious about the new KTM 1290 SAS which apparently will have an update for MY 2020 which a.o. will lower its center of gravity , thus improving its manoeuvrability when riding with a pillion on mountain roads.

Last edited by Slijkmoto; 13-Aug-2019 at 09:55 PM (121).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode