Strange R1250GS engine noise. - Page 15 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Aug-2019, 01:32 AM (272) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
To all experiencing these strange noises, there is definitely something wrong with your bikes. I got a 1250 Friday ( a demo with 600 miles) and having just gotten off of a '17 1200, I can say without hesitation that this is the most quiet bike that I have ever been on. With foam earplugs in, I can just barely hear the engine, and with the Bridgestone tires, there is no road noise on any paved surface I have been on. Perhaps you would be more suited to a Honda Africa Twin or perhaps a Harley. I would suggest you get rid of the 1250 as soon as possible. Good Luck...
So you are in a fortunate position to have a 'quiet' R1250!

The expression 'I'm alright Jack' springs to mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Aug-2019, 03:59 AM (374)

I would buy a lottery ticket if i were you...
post #143 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Aug-2019, 05:20 AM (430)
Fort Collins

New member here. I own an 05’ 1200GS and have been looking to buy a 19’ or 20’ 1250GSA, which brought me to this forum. I’m in Colorado USA. Are any of these issues coming from owners in the USA? Or are most of the problems from European bikes? Being new here I’m not sure how many American members are active in these forums. Because of this thread I have stopped my pursuit of buying a new 1250gsa until there’s clarification on the engine issue. I don’t want to spend $25,000 on a lemon. So my question is, are there any Americans in this thread reporting these engine issues? To the guy reporting no noise on a 600-mile Demo bike, isn’t most of the problems coming on at higher mileage and getting worse as miles increase? Hopefully more info is found before winter settles in. Until then I’m not buying not am I trusting any BMW dealer to be honest with me. Thanks to all who’ve contributed here.

post #144 of 146 (permalink) Old 14-Aug-2019, 11:13 AM (676)

I am from Europe (Belgium and France).
Evidently all 1250 GS are manufactured at the same plant in Berlin and shipped worldwide.
Two of the affected bikes in this topic were assembled in February 2019 (mine and Matureriders)
I know of at least two bikes that were manufactured earlier that don’t have the resonance noise.
I also know of two GS which were built more recently that suffer from the same strange noise.
Maybe it is wise for you to wait a bit until we know if the problem is solved in MY 2020, which production starts on September 1, 2019.
post #145 of 146 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM (858)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear when slightly opening the throttle there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full face helmet and silicone ear plugs.

My dealer said 'it's still a new'.

My previous two water cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?
I along with many new 1250 GS owners are experiencing the same F&*^kn noise. Its unnerving at times. I actually went back to the dealer to have them address the issue but they were also without answers. i even threatened to give the bike back! They then rolled out three other models and they made the same noise. Needless to say I'm very disappointed and i think we are looking at a recall. There saying its a characteristic of the new shift cam technology but I'm not convinced! I will keep calling BMW north america until its resolved. Next is a class action law suit!...
post #146 of 146 (permalink) Old Today, 06:25 AM (476)

The worrisome fact indeed is that NOT ALL R1250GS are affected, but no one at BMW headquarters seems to know what exactly makes the difference between the "normal" clanging and banging of those boxer engines and the additional resonance noise which is so bothersome to us... .

Most dealers simply shrug and state "they all make some noise... don't worry... moreover you've got a 5 years warranty", but every time I mount this bike, my riding pleasure is greatly reduced because of this f***-ing noise...

According to my dealers there is no recall in the works.... "it is all very normal, you know..."

Last edited by Slijkmoto; Today at 08:56 AM (581).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode