Strange R1250GS engine noise. - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 241 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2019, 12:49 PM (742)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Here is a link to a quite thorough riding review of this bike. They do mention "engine noise ( not in a bad way ).

https://advrider.com/2019-bmw-r-1250...ent=04_02_2019

Quote:
Engine sound

The engine note is somewhat muted. It emits a nice smooth growl and tells you itís really not working hard to do the job you are asking it to do. Frankly, itís somewhat ďagriculturalĒ sounding and I mean that in the best sense of the word. You can hear the engine internals working while doing their job. Itís a reassuring sound that the engine is not all that stressed. Youíll likely hear the engine working more than you will hear the exhaust or intake howling. So if the feel and sound of a howling engine are really important to you, the GSA will not float your boat. But if you are more concerned about getting from A to B without drama and with ease, the ShiftCam BMW comes through in spades.

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 241 (permalink) Old 05-Apr-2019, 06:39 AM (485)

You're certainly not the only one with this complaint: I am collecting now several similar declarations from new owners of a GS 1250 and most members of the GS blogs I visit, do complain about the irritating noise... However, as my French dealer puts it :"most of his clients don't hear any abnormal noises at all, especially so when upscaling from an oil/air cooled GS, when they are of the opinion that "all" mechanical noises are typical for the watercooled engine... ".

Every time I do collect a new snippet of information reg. this problem I send it to my Belgian dealer who transmits it immediately to BMW in Berlin.
The more complaints are registered, the sooner some reaction may be expected from the manufacturer (who is known to only come into action when it's no more avoidable).
post #23 of 241 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2019, 10:47 PM (157)

Add me to the list as well. Very disconcerting for an otherwise wonderful machine.

post #24 of 241 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2019, 03:32 AM (356) Thread Starter

It would be nice to know what is causing this strange noise. On every ride I am thinking 'this doesn't sound right'. An explanation would alleviate my concerns.
post #25 of 241 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 02:27 PM (810)

There is a discussion in the german GS-Forum too.
It seems, that the gear, that drives the camshaft has too much clearance to its neighbor gear. BMW is going to change the camshaft driving gear in one case I read about. There is no feedback yet, how it worked out. I will tell, if I get to know more.

The 1250 I drove did not make any more noise, than my 1200. I think it was even less noisy.

Joe
PoppyGreg likes this.
post #26 of 241 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 09:12 AM (591)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
It seems, that the gear, that drives the camshaft has too much clearance to its neighbor gear. BMW is going to change the camshaft driving gear in one case I read about. There is no feedback yet, how it worked out. I will tell, if I get to know more.

The 1250 I drove did not make any more noise, than my 1200. I think it was even less noisy.

Joe
Can you please provide me with the link to the German blog ?

I can read German, but couldn't find the forum you're referring to.

Thanks in advance.
post #27 of 241 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 09:52 AM (620) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post

Joe
Thanks for the information.

I suspect that might be a different noise since drive to the camshafts (and valves) would not make a different noise when the engine is under load. I'm suspecting the noise is more of a big end, small end or piston slap type of noise (although I acknowledge that modern pistons don't have much of a skirt to slap).

The mystery continues.
post #28 of 241 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 02:15 AM (302)

post #29 of 241 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2019, 02:20 AM (305)

A "piston slap" like voice my GS 1200 LC makes at about 80 MpH. It is not very lound, but it sounds awful and is normal.
post #30 of 241 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 09:30 AM (604) Thread Starter

The R1250 engine is considerably quieter at start up and tick over than the R1200. 'Cleverly' BMW have moved the noise further up the rev range. Presumably engine noise couldn't be eliminated so they 'moved it about a bit'.
AdventureDoc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode