Strange R1250GS engine noise. - Page 5 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-May-2019, 11:52 AM (703)
Super Awesom Person

A friend of mine is running Motul 7100 10-60 in his 2018 1200RT specifically to quiet down the engine. I wonder if it would work in the new 1250 engine. I know it isn't the correct oil that BMW recommend but he just didn't like the noise were all used to. He said a BMW mechanic told him to use it as that's what he uses in his own bike. He said it's made a world of difference.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 06-May-2019 at 11:58 AM (707).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-May-2019, 08:34 PM (065)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150 View Post
I have had an oil cooled R1150GS from new (1999) and have ridden a few 1200s for short periods.
A month or so ago I test rode a R1250GS Adventure Rallye and the engine noise was immediately apparent from quite low speeds.
No such noise from the 1150 or 1200s.
It reminded me of worn out cam chain noise from my old (1973) Mini 'A' series engine.
The dealer said that someone else had commented.
We wondered whether it might be tyres as the Rallye has more trail type tyres than my 1150 and I did manage to convince myself at one point that it changed a bit with road surface.
I wondered whether the screen may be somehow reflecting the noise back to the rider.
Today I rode a friends R1250GS with road tyres and the noise was exactly the same as the Rallye
It only becomes unnoticeable over 70 with earplugs in and the visor closed.
I couldn't live with it.
I moved from the 2004 1200GS to the 1250GS HP and the noise was apparent from the minute I rode out of the dealership. Accustomed to my old GS with a big Givi screen I was naive to the need for ear plugs on the newer GSs. I’ve changed tires, rode without the front fender and still cannot identify where the sound’s coming from. The dealership agreed the sound could become annoying on long hauls but couldn’t pin down where it was coming from, suggesting either tires, fairing, or air intakes as possible causes. Whatever the cause it is a total kill-joy for otherwise an awesome bike, and regrettably has impacted my hearing. Unless there’s a fix, aftermarket or otherwise, I’ll be downgrading.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-May-2019, 02:51 AM (327) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoss View Post
I moved from the 2004 1200GS to the 1250GS HP and the noise was apparent from the minute I rode out of the dealership. Accustomed to my old GS with a big Givi screen I was naive to the need for ear plugs on the newer GSs. I’ve changed tires, rode without the front fender and still cannot identify where the sound’s coming from. The dealership agreed the sound could become annoying on long hauls but couldn’t pin down where it was coming from, suggesting either tires, fairing, or air intakes as possible causes. Whatever the cause it is a total kill-joy for otherwise an awesome bike, and regrettably has impacted my hearing. Unless there’s a fix, aftermarket or otherwise, I’ll be downgrading.
I think your issue with noise is different to mine. As I've said mine is rattle/knocking/grumble when the bike is under slight load, when gently accelerating or maintaining speed up hill. Am I correct in saying yours appear to be all the time at all speeds in all gears. Does it get louder the faster you go or is the noise constant? Since you have changed the tyres that rules out Michelin's very noisy Anakees.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-May-2019, 02:16 AM (303)

You know about the Anakee tire issue? If you have that tire mounted at the front, it will make noises you would never be thinking of
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-May-2019, 11:10 PM (173)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
Quote:
I think your issue with noise is different to mine. As I've said mine is rattle/knocking/grumble when the bike is under slight load, when gently accelerating or maintaining speed up hill. Am I correct in saying yours appear to be all the time at all speeds in all gears. Does it get louder the faster you go or is the noise constant? Since you have changed the tyres that rules out Michelin's very noisy Anakees.
I had the Battlax 41 on front but switched ti the Michelin Road 5 Trail on the recommendation from the tire dealer that they were a quiet tire. No difference which lead me to believe that maybe it was something else. I’m keeping the tire companies in business but will try the Dunlop’s as recommended on another thread.
I really jugged my 1250 on a couple of hills yesterday and other than a metallic knocking you’d expect from the wrong gear selection, it wasn’t major. Doesn’t happen when ridden normally.
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-May-2019, 04:09 PM (881)

Hi Maturerider

I just read your private message here in France while on the last day of my stay in our second home, but I am not allowed yet to send a reply PM, apparently...
Here in the south of France I keep my R1250GS (in Belgium I have a KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000 for the daily grind home-work).
The strange noise has gotten worse by now (at 2.350 kms) and only disappears now when coasting or slowing down.
Upon request from my Belgian dealer who sends all the information I gather to the BMW importer, I have tried to record that noise.
This is not that simple : or the wind noise drowns everything in the SONY ACTION CAM mike, or the other noises a riding bike makes stiffle the parasite noise we are complaining about (and which penetrates easily my fullface helmet and earplugs).
However I have sent the videos to my dealer and hope they may be useful, after all.
Anyhow, I did not know that this strange noise could be such a killjoy, but it certainly is.
This is my 8th GS in a row (replacing my former R1200GS LC from 2015, which was simply perfect) and if BMW doesn't come up with a solution anytime soon ,I don't think I will keep this bike much longer. It really greatly diminishes my joy riding it, mainly because I don't know where it is coming from....
I agree that we should keep each other informed about future developments, i.e. if BMW gives us another reply than their usual" "You're the very first customer with this problem... it is however perfectly normal and harmless... auf Wiedersehen !"

Kind regards.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 18-May-2019, 08:16 AM (553)

I’m now hearing what I think you’re hearing. Aside from the piercing whine that funnels up from the front, which I try hard to ignore, I’ve started hearing rat,tat, tat, tat, in quick succession rattle under acceleration which seems to come from the right side. This with a full face helmet and foam ear plugs.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 18-May-2019, 01:29 PM (770) Thread Starter

I think it's very important not to ignore strange noises in vehicles.

Coincidentally my car recently developed a whining noise. Dealer said it was a wheel bearing. Before it could be repaired another strange noise appeared - a clicking noise in fourth gear. Long story short. DSG gearbox knackered. New one required. One month out of warranty £5800! Got some good will so am paying (reluctantly) £580.

Fortunately the BMW GS has over 2 and 3/4 years of warranty remaining so plenty of time for the problem to become terminal, like the car, and be repaired.

Can I live with the strange noise? I feel there is not a lot I can do about it. I hear it every time I ride the bike. It's annoying but the rest of the bike is so good I try to ignore it.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 18-May-2019, 05:50 PM (951)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
I think it's very important not to ignore strange noises in vehicles.

Coincidentally my car recently developed a whining noise. Dealer said it was a wheel bearing. Before it could be repaired another strange noise appeared - a clicking noise in fourth gear. Long story short. DSG gearbox knackered. New one required. One month out of warranty £5800! Got some good will so am paying (reluctantly) £580.

Fortunately the BMW GS has over 2 and 3/4 years of warranty remaining so plenty of time for the problem to become terminal, like the car, and be repaired.

Can I live with the strange noise? I feel there is not a lot I can do about it. I hear it every time I ride the bike. It's annoying but the rest of the bike is so good I try to ignore it.
Frankly speaking, not only from a mechanical perspective, health wise these sounds shouldn’t be ‘ignored’ by riders and more importantly BMW. Right out of the dealership the 1250 grated on my hearing. Informed the dealer that I was finding it difficult ride and if they knew a fix, and was told, to ride it out to the first service and see if it improves.

Now, having to deal with Tinnitus from one late night ride where the sound was so piercingly painful I had to stop the bike. A lot of reading since and I understand that permanent Tinnitus can be triggered from one traumatic event.

For all the Company’s safety hype, DBC, etc. there is no dialogue on the impact of sound—perhaps intentionally. The decibel rating stuck to the inside of the steering column confirms the Company is aware of it, maybe from a legal perspective, but at no time did the dealer point this out in the the walk around. And you don’t see ear plugs listed in the catalog.

If the Company is truly going to care for its riders, it needs to make more effort to better inform its dealers, be part of forums like this, and address issues like Tinnitus. So that others don’t end up asking the same question that I now do everyday, ‘Do I really want to ride today?’

Last edited by Gdoss; 18-May-2019 at 05:55 PM (955).
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 18-May-2019, 11:53 PM (204) Thread Starter

Quote:
Frankly speaking, not only from a mechanical perspective, health wise these sounds shouldn’t be ‘ignored’ by riders and more importantly BMW. Right out of the dealership the 1250 grated on my hearing. Informed the dealer that I was finding it difficult ride and if they knew a fix, and was told, to ride it out to the first service and see if it improves.

Now, having to deal with Tinnitus from one late night ride where the sound was so piercingly painful I had to stop the bike. A lot of reading since and I understand that permanent Tinnitus can be triggered from one traumatic event.

For all the Company’s safety hype, DBC, etc. there is no dialogue on the impact of sound—perhaps intentionally. The decibel rating stuck to the inside of the steering column confirms the Company is aware of it, maybe from a legal perspective, but at no time did the dealer point this out in the the walk around. And you don’t see ear plugs listed in the catalog.

If the Company is truly going to care for its riders, it needs to make more effort to better inform its dealers, be part of forums like this, and address issues like Tinnitus. So that others don’t end up asking the same question that I now do everyday, ‘Do I really want to ride today?’
WOW! Your noise issue is obviously far, far louder and more serious than mine. If it's so bad surely it is something you can hear when the bike is stationary with the engine running. If not, presumably it's a none engine issue like the transmission. The way you describe it surprises me that something hasn't yet gone 'bang' in a big way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode