R1200GS Forum banner

Strange R1250GS engine noise.

214K views 507 replies 122 participants last post by  Lee_au 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have noticed that my new R1250GS has a strange and unexpected engine noise.

It occurs when the engine is under load at all speeds and all gears. A typical circumstance - 50 mph in top gear. When slightly opening the throttle, there is a strange rattle/slight knock/grumble. It's always difficult to describe a mechanical sound, but it's obviously fairly loud if I can hear it at 50 with a full-face helmet and silicone earplugs.

My dealer said, 'it's still new.'

My previous two water-cooled 1200s never had this issue.

Any ideas?

#384 ·
I followed this thread almost from the beginning when Maturerider started it...
I even exchanged my then new blue 2019 R1250 GS, which suffered horribly from this pinging noise for an Exclusive 2020 R1250GS.
The latter also produces the noise but quite a bit less frequently and loudly... but I fear that all 1250 engines are prone to it.
A few months ago I test rode the 2021 version, just for comparison... and this one was even pinging louder than my 2019 bike..
So, I concluded that I won't mind the strange noise anymore... it is just a characteristic of this engine.
I have a 5 year warranty on my Exclusive and if the engine destroys itself within this period, I'll get a new one...
Everything else about the GS is just wonderful.

#385 ·
Like Silijkmoto I have (eventually) learnt to live with the strange engine noise. Have come to the conclusion that ‘they all do that, gov’. One could call it character. There again, perhaps not! More like bad engineering.

I’m currently more concerned about the corrosion on the crank cases (see my recent tread).

#386 ·
I looked up some Dutch posts on your corrosion problem and came to the following conclusion :

• the coating on the engine is missing on those spots where different planes are meeting . Brine and salt get under the edges of the coating and make it peel off.
  • when still under warranty, BMW generally get you an new engine
  • when after warranty, most people just sand the affected spots and cover them with silver paint and transparent lacquer
  • the black finish of the Triple Black versions is more resistant but eventually starts peeling too.

#387 ·
I love my 2019 RT. If Im told that the noise wont cause harm long term....I can live with it. Just want it looked at and documented. No bike is perfect. If it is pre-ignition it should be able to be sorted out by the dealer or with a remap from an outside source. Curious on what the dealer will say. Considering the 1250's have knock sensors they really shouldn't ping at all. Starting to think its something other than pre-ignition (even though the symptoms point to that)

#389 · (Edited)
It is not pre-ignition, but rather the resonance of the throttle body butterfly oscillating at certain RPM and when slowly accelerating and when the engine has to “work”.
At higher speeds and RPM the pinging is drowned by the other engine noise.
Since it is the same part as used in the 1200 engine but gets more stressed in the 1250 engine, it behaves like that.
My complaint was transmitted to BMW GERMANY in 2019, but only resulted in a general notice to all EU dealers that there is no remedy, but that the phenomenon is harmless... well, that still remains to be seen..

#388 ·
Well, my 1250 is now 3 weeks old. Still didn't have its first service as it's hard to ride with lockdown and police patrols everywhere. It has 600 km (370 miles). arround 300 km's it started ticking from both cylinder. Today, reaching 600 km's started to sound like a diesel car (not too much, just a bit) beside the ticking noise.

#390 ·
I was very interested in buying a new S1000RR. That engine is also equipped with a shift cam. Quite a few concerns emerged from a noisy engine once warmed up. One YouTube blogger was comparing a 3rd and 4th generation BMW RR that he owned. Long story short, he felt the 4th gen RR was an incomplete bike. He felt the engine noise as well as the fuel mapping were unacceptable. Consequently he sold his new 4th gen RR. Bear in mind he coined out $26k for that bike. The guy said he would own another 4th gen S1000RR once BMW sorted out these issues.

If I purchased a 1250 or the new RR and was experiencing engine noises, not only would I contact the dealer I would also contact corporate. I’m not convinced that all the noises emitting from these engines are harmless. I was reading some postings from the S1000RR forum about early 4th gen engines discovered to have galled cam lobes when their bike were brought into the dealer for noisy engines. I’m not suggesting a correlation between a galled cam and the shiftcam mechanism but you can’t rule it out either. Personally my gut tells me to let the dust settle before buying into this new technology.

You need to make some noise of your own to the manufacturer otherwise corporate might slow-walk a solution. If you’re not satisfied with the results, let the them all know.

#391 ·
I have made all the noise I could as an individual... but unless someone starts a class action against BMW nothing will change... and keeping in mind that the majority of 1250 GS riders apparently don't even HEAR the unsettling noise their very own bike makes, such action is fruitless...

#392 ·
I'll be curious whether BMW does resolve it. The boxer engine is too important to the company to leave issues to simmer. Fixing via software seems a logical fix.

Being new to BMW bikes the last 20 months I'm impressed how loyal many of the owners are based on various issues, I hope BMW does not take advantage of that.

I know if I was shopping for new >1000cc ADV bikes it would likely not be a GS.

#394 ·
The only piece i may have been sarcastic about is BMW taking care of their customers. Generally I think they care less but time to time they do step up...I have a riding buddy whose 2018 GS was bought back due to electrical issues they could not fix and a guy here on a forum recently had his 2015 engine replaced. In both those you could argue that was the minimum they should do.

Will BMW be better than Triumph, Honda, KTM, Suzuki or Yamaha at taking care of customers? Not sure I know.

I just know we all vote with our wallet.

#395 ·
I think it all depends on the goodwill of our dealers rather than de BMW manufacturer, who indeed couldn't care less about its customers.

I sometimes get a professional glimpse of what's going on at the higher levels of the BMW foodchain and it doesn't make me happy.
The German billionaire Quandt family that owns the BMW company has a peculiar mentality which doesn't leave a lot of room for warm feelings toward their faithful buyers all over the world.

Their local dealers therefore have to take your fate at heart and often must invest a good deal of their time and money to make and/or keep you happy.

This however is a two way street : if one continously treats his dealer as a thieving gangster and doesn't allow him to make an honest buck by servicing your bike regularly, the dealer also will strictly adhere to the absolute minimum level of service he's backed up for by the BMW importer and manufacturer.

That doesn't mean you should just give your wallet to your dealer, but I know professionally how far a good dealer often goes in giving you a good service, far beyond what he's supposed to do by the powers that be.

#397 ·
I ride a 2019 1250 gs adventure. I had a very loud engine noise that was so loud through helmet and ear plugs it actually hurt my ears. This occurred once the bike was fully warmed up to full operating temperature, and under acceleration. I took it in, had them listen, and they had to keep it there. They could not find anything wrong except metal in the oil. They consulted with the factory who also scratched their collective heads. They finally gave up and replaced the engine. Took 2 months to get it but works better now. I asked what the issue was and was told it no longer mattered as the bike had a new engine and they weren't wasting time on it. The bike only had 11500+/- miles on it. I still don't know what it was.

#398 ·
Well hello all. Been around for years but never posted. Didn't have a GS....until two days ago. Bought the only GS they had, new or used and it was just out of their "Do Not Sell" inventory.

Great timing.

TICKING?

Nope..... no ticking from the right cylinder.

What a beautiful sounding motor.

#402 ·
I have the standard exhaust pipe on my 2020 bike (and also on my previous, much noisier 2019 one).
I was loaned a 2021 demo R1250GS last month and its strange noise was even louder than the one my first 1250 produced.
I also tend to believe now that ALL 1250 engine make that noise, but only a minority of owners hear it and are bothered by it.

#431 ·
19' R1250 GSA - it is a weird noise when accelerating at 2 to 3 to 4 and less noticeable (maybe due to speed and less load) at 5 to 6th gear. I can describe it as metal on metal craking, clicking and it lasts for about a couple of seconds during, after switching the gears. Only happens when opening the throttle somewhat more(like when the shift cam kicks in) and not appearing at all when driving "normally", I mean not a somewhat faster acceleration. And I am not flooring the bike, just about halfway, if at all.
Is this the problem you encountered earlier on, and for which BMW said to be normal for the motor and only critical customers can sense it and complain? If this is the case I would strongly disagree and object.
Please let me know. Plan to go to the dealer to hear probably the usual "don't worry, normal"
Thanks and safe driving!

#403 ·
I have 2x 1250s both are 2019 builds. The RT is a bit quieter than my GS (I changed the plugs to a cooler plug on the the GS and that mellowed the rattle but I haven't changed the plugs on the rt). I now just ride them both and don't focus on engine noises I have some nice sena speakers in my helmet and just enjoy being in the zone!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

#407 ·
Please keep us posted on what your dealer says. Mine has been doing it for a while. Seems a little quieter now that the temps are warmer but its still there. Here's what I discovered over the past few weekends:

I always (from day one) ran top tier premium in my bike. We had a fuel shortage here in my area (pipeline hack). Wife and I had a hard time finding gas on the way home. Down to about a gallon when we found a BP station with regular only. I put about 3 gallons in so we could get home. After filling, thought the bike was quieter. It was a long day and just focused on getting home.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I ran out and topped the bike off with BP premium (about 2-gallons). So averaged out figure the bike has a full tank of 89-90 AKI in it now......And I'll be damned....Hardly a PEEP as far as pinging. Later in the day, topped off with premium (92 AKI) and the noise came back. Then about a half hour from home topped off with regular (87 AKI) and again quieted down to almost nothing. Sounds crazy that lower octane would quiet down the noise....but it appears to be the case. Long trip this weekend so Ill keep you posted on what I find. Going to try running mid-grade 89 for the entire trip and see what I find.

According to my manual BMW recommends 89 AKI (or 95 RON). Could the HIGHER octane in the US premium be affecting some bikes (1250 RT) in a negative way?????

#408 · (Edited)
Interesting train of thought.... I also always fill up with 98 octane gas in Europe and both my 1250's suffer(ed) from the pinging (oscillating) noise of the butterfly valve.... I am very curious about your experience !
The problem in Europe is that 95 octane gas always comes with 10 % methanol, which is a nuisance for the rest of the plumbing on your bike... that's why I stick to 98 octane gas (with none or max. 5 % methanol).

#409 ·
Just did 1000 miles over 3 days using 89 AKI octane mid grade (BP and Shell). Strangely enough, the bike does seem to run better and smoother vs premium 95. Pinging/rattle noise is better. Still there at times but definitely less frequent. I do find it more frequent at higher speeds vs lower. Almost as if the rush of more air coming into the airbox increases it. Mostly 2-up fully loaded up an incline 5th or 6th gear 4000-4200 rpm is where I hear it most. The bike is geared much taller than my 2009 GSA and I'm getting used to that. I don't think 4200 rpm on a slight incline is lugging the engine. Bike is running well and wife & I really like it. I just feel like if my 2009 GSA with 70,000 miles doesn't ping, either should a 2019 RT at 13,000 (that I purchased new). Not the end of the world, but it does bother me.

#410 ·
You wrote : Mostly 2-up fully loaded up an incline 5th or 6th gear 4000-4200 rpm is where I hear it most. .

I agree with that constatation and my dealer confirms that this kind of parasite noises appear most prominently when the engine hast to "work" harder, such as when there are two people sitting on it...

Not being bothered my any technical knowledge myself, I wonder if a higher octane gas would allow the 1250 engine to perform on a higher level, thus sucking more air (while developing more power) and therefor increasing the pinging noise ???

A technician should be able to answer this question...

#411 ·
I have a R1250R and came across this thread. Read the entire thing and kept doing some digging. As of December, BMW has acknowledged the problem and it's an incorrect spec on the chain tensioner. A fix is coming soon but save this to show your dealer. Very likely most of them know nothing about this even though they should get the service bulletins

#412 ·
I have a R1250R and came across this thread. Read the entire thing and kept doing some digging. As of December, BMW has acknowledged the problem and it's an incorrect spec on the chain tensioner. A fix is coming soon but save this to show your dealer. Very likely most of them know nothing about this even though they should get the service bulletins

Thanks Steve. I just sent this link to my dealer. My sound does appear to be more of a rattle vs a ping or tick...So a cam chain issue does make sense. Hope it gets resolved soon! Love the bike but this noise has to be fixed. Ive had 3 other boxers and I know they all make noise....But there's nothing "normal" about what Im hearing on mine.

#414 ·
Not like that on my bike (R1250RT). Mine is quiet at idle. My noise is a rattle (vs a knock or a tick)...Like something is loose. Some BB's in a small tin can, then shaken. Only happens when underway and engine is under load (2-up and/or up an incline with bike at 3800-4200 rpm. Sometimes it wont do it at all...other times it will do it often.

I had a Honda Hurricane 1000 back in the 90's. At about 30,000 miles the camchain tensioner started to go on it. Have to say it did sound VERY similar to what Im hearing on my RT

#420 ·
The technician at my dealership made a test ride on my 2017 GS and found nothing out of the ordinary … he’s convinced that when they’d check the camshafts etc. everything would be conform the set parameters….

Apparently too much play of the cam chain would result in a rattle which would clearly increase and decrease in accordance with the RPM, which is not the case with my bike.

I’ll have to learn to get used to it…and anyway, my complaint is lodged with them in case of a future failure.

#421 ·
I may be on to something here. Been noticing that besides the rattle, my bike just feels different. Not as snappy, flat at certain RPM's. Wife and I just got back from a trip (2-up). Started to notice that at times if felt like I was starting off in 2nd gear. Bike just has been feeling restricted.

So after reading complaints from 1250 and LC 1200 owners about this pinging/rattle I thought....My 2009 GSA with 70,000 miles doesn't do this. What do the LC 1200's and 1250's have (that the hexhead doesn't) that could be restricting the bike??????.....Exhaust servo

I bought a Servo buddy about a year ago after reading about all the problems with them. Mostly about them sticking shut. But what if it just wasnt functioning properly and not opening enough at certain RPMs???? Lets give it a try.
Guys........HUGE difference here!!! My bike fired right up. Sounded great, but cant say any louder. From starting out to all across the rev range.......WOW. The flat spot at 3800-4200 was gone. Bike just wants to go. AND NO RATTLE. Idles better at stops and just feels new again when taking off. Runs cooler too. Still have to test it 2-up but Im thinking we are on the right track here.

I was a firm believer in keeping that servo hooked up unless it became stuck. Figured it increased power at lower RPM's....Bullshit. I read its more for noise to meet regulations. Plus it restricts the exhaust flow so it stays in the combustion chamber longer and burns off, so less comes out into the atmosphere. In other words......its choking the bike down. Try it guys...Its $60.00 and easy plug in. For now Im keeping the servo motor there while bike is under warranty and I continue testing. But eventually Ill pull it out.

#425 ·
Agreed....That it what they claim. Also that it was to "enhance rideability" at lower rpms.Which I believe means smoother during parking lot/low speed maneuvering. I went to an RT after about 8 years on a GS Adventure (2009). Rode a 2019 GSA and RT back to back before we my wife and I decided what would be best for us. First thing I noticed is RT geared TALLER than the GSA. Makes sense, but took some getting used to (we decided on the RT but still have my 2009 GSA)

All in all...On my bike, especially when 2-up and especially in our hilly region of the Blue Ridge Mountains....The bike is happiest at 4000 & up. Lower than that will be ok, but your just not in the "sweet spot" at 3000 RPM" especially in this region.
Now since I bypassed the Servo I admit the bike is much better at the lower RPM's....But she still loves to be right around 4000-4100 when pulling out of a corner. Neither of my bikes are ever cruising at 3000 RPM. And even 2-up Im averaging 46 MPG on the 2019 RT with 15,000 miles and 42 MPG on my 2009 R1200 GSA with 68,000 miles (FWIW)