Leftover 2018 GS - Low Suspension or Standard with Low Seat - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2019, 07:31 PM (022) Thread Starter

Leftover 2018 GS - Low Suspension or Standard with Low Seat

I have the chance in finally pulling the trigger on my dream bike, the 2018 GS. I am now debating between 2 brand new leftover 2018s, both are “exclusive” fully optioned ones except for one has low suspension option. However, the price difference is close to $1k for the LC model. I am 5’7 and am comfortable with the standard model GS with the low seat. Just debating if the LC model would be better for me in the long run. I am coming from riding a couple of years on my 2017 Yamaha FJ-09 which is about half an inch taller than the low setting on a standard seat GS. Being that the GS is heavier, would the $1k difference be worth the peace of mind? I do occasionally do some light trail riding on my Versys X300 bike and would also try to take the GS on some fire roads and stuff, will the short suspension be a hindrance in these types of terrain? THanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 04:42 AM (404)

Garage
Leftover 2018 GS - Low Suspension or Standard with Low Seat

My wing man on a trip to Alaska in 2017 had a lowered '16 GSA and he had absolutely no issues. By the way, I saw a left-over '18 GS leave the local dealership (NC) and the new owner got $6000 off.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 04:45 AM (406)

Garage
Just bought a '17 leftover low.... worth any cost to me to be able to flatfoot! 30' inseam!

2017 R1200GSA Low Suspension
2012 K1600GTL
2005 Harley VRod

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 09:12 AM (591)

Depends

Are you going to keep it forever? Low suspension limits resale options!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 01:05 PM (753) Thread Starter

guess one question is, for those that have the LC GS, does the shortened suspension have any issues in scraping when you go off roading? I am looking to join some type of off road riding class like rawhyde and want to make sure that with the LC GS, there wouldn't be any issues going over the more technical stuff.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 01:06 PM (754) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Are you going to keep it forever? Low suspension limits resale options!
really? didn't know that....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 02:29 PM (812)

Buy the bike for you not the next owner. If you think you need a low try one out. I am 5' 8" with a 30 inch inseam and I ride a regular GS with a low seat and can flat foot.
mikec and asaulo1 like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2019, 08:19 PM (055)

I have the GSA with low suspension and no problems off road but you have to be careful in the twistes and ride with the ball of your foot on the pegs or you will scrape your toes on the pavement. I have only scraped the pegs a few times though.
asaulo1 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2019, 08:56 AM (581)

Got a great deal on an '18 GSA standard. 5'8" w/ 30" inseam and have no issues. I have the seat on the low setting and the ESA suspension on min / low. Can't quite flat foot but I feel comfortable with the set up. Coming from sport bikes and cruisers, this higher riding position definitely takes some getting used to. The only way you will know for sure is to take them both out for a comparison test ride...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2019, 06:28 PM (978)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
I, too, am 5'7" and I went with the low suspension, love the low suspension, HATED the low seat. It was brutal after an hour or so. I think I put up with it for 2k miles and then got a Sargent low version. Very comfy now.
Re resale...people argue back and forth on this. Some say it could hinder resale, while others bemoan that a GS is too tall for them and that keeps them away from the GS. If the lowered suspension fits you, I rec that and have them swap out the low seat for a normal seat (which you can put in a high position) or expect to be in the seat market soon. the sargent was $479, iirc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode