R1200GS Forum banner

Finally got my R1200GS and some first impressions

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  zamliey 
#1 ·
Just came back from picking my new baby up, a leftover 2018 R1200GS Exclusive in Espresso with the low suspension option. Had to take the train and get it from around 100 miles away but was totally worth it after riding her home. In fact, I just did over 160 miles coming back since i took the back roads that had me go over my local twisties. I made sure that I covered around 80-90 miles before I made it to the mountains so I was pretty confident that I scrubbed most of the rubber (at least on certain angles... lol). First impressions, 1 word... smooth.... although I shouldn’t be surprised as my other steed is a BMW R9T. Absolutely love the quickshifter although it will take me a while to get used to having it. Still a little notch going down the gears with it but I guess it will break in and smoothen out as the miles are put on. Suspension in dynamic mode is a little bouncy. Not sure if this is just because it’s new but again, we will find out given more miles. The TFT is just stunning to look at. I was able to easily pair my iphone and my UClear BT on my helmet and it worked quite well. Although music volume was a little on the low side but it might be my BT communicator. Splitting lanes with it was kinda scary since it felt wider than it actually is... I guess more seat time will get me more comfortable with it in traffic. Power wise, it was surprising at it felt livelier than my R9T. And I’m sure it’ll get better as the miles go. I am truly excited to put on some major miles in this bike as it’s starting to heat up here in SoCal. Ergonomics - was quite comfortable although I feel that the saddle is a little firm. All in all, it was an awesome day collecting my new steed. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
The shifting does get smoother, although upshifts in the lower gears unless wide open throttle are clunky. I use it to downshift frequently but only use if for upshifts if I'm hard on the throttle.

I also have a 2018 Exclusive paired to a uClear Plus headset. Delete the uClear pairing to your iPhone. Pair your phone to the TFT and then the uClear headset to the TFT. Something gets quirky if the headset if paired to both.

brian

#5 ·
R1200 gs

I also bought an end of year GS A. it was not lowered...thinking that Germans have 35 inch plus inseams, I’ve got 32 inch. Still it’s awesome and I’m finally getting used to the height... has the lowered model limited your off road options? I’m assuming it’s going to handle better off road with this standard seat height..any input would be appreciated.

#6 ·
I also bought an end of year GS A. it was not lowered...thinking that Germans have 35 inch plus inseams, I’ve got 32 inch. Still it’s awesome and I’m finally getting used to the height... has the lowered model limited your off road options? I’m assuming it’s going to handle better off road with this standard seat height..any input would be appreciated.
I'm sure it'll be somewhat limited when you try to tackle technical stuff but I'm going to use the GS primarily for touring with the occasional fire road. After having ridden the low suspension GS for a couple of hundred miles now, I'm glad I did get it as opposed to the standard height one. I feel more confident riding it and stopping at even inclined surfaces which I would think would be scary on the regular GS. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.