new to the GS world, anyone using the enduro plus chip for your GS? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2019, 02:31 PM (813) Thread Starter

new to the GS world, anyone using the enduro plus chip for your GS?

just got my '18 GS and I was reading that there is a chip under the seat that you can plug in to enable enduro plus mode on the bike. It seems to unlock some other options on the ride modes. Was wondering if anyone has tried plugging and activating it? Does it make sense to plug it in even though I'm still using the stock 90/10 tires? I understand that it works well if you've installed more aggressive tires for off roading which allows the DTC to cut in much later. Again, I've never had a bike that has this feature so I'm curious as to the validity of the claims. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2019, 02:53 PM (828)
Kam

Yes. Plug it in. Leave it alone.

On the 2015 gs, it activates the pro mode etc.

You lose nothing by not plugging it in.

Kam
asaulo1 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-Apr-2019, 03:30 PM (854)

Enduro Pro falls in between regular Enduro mode and full "everything off" mode. Here is a pretty good explanation.

Candubrain and asaulo1 like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2019, 11:50 AM (701)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo5000 View Post
Enduro Pro falls in between regular Enduro mode and full "everything off" mode. Here is a pretty good explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHT4G6WLkII
No wonder I love this bike so much

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2019, 12:21 PM (723)

Garage
Also unlocks the Dynamic pro, tight suspension, crisp handling and a much faster machine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2019, 12:37 PM (734)

Garage
From the mother ship:

"For ambitious Enduro riders, BMW Motorrad offers the "Enduro Pro" mode. This riding mode, with spontaneous engine response characteristics is designed for use with lugged tyres. At the same time, the ABS function is deactivated at the rear when the footbrake lever is engaged; Dynamic ESA is coordinated to traction and optimal power characteristics. ASC is coordinated to professional Enduro use and allows significantly greater slip. With this configuration the new BMW R 1200 GS can demonstrate its sporting temperament off-road too, opening up a whole new world for experienced Enduro riders while enabling superior control of the motorbike."

The BMW riders academy highly suggested lugged tires when using it.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2019, 02:00 PM (791) Thread Starter

Just plugged in the chip last night and unlocked dynamic pro and Enduro plus. Will have to play around with it. Interesting though that it mentions wheelie control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-Apr-2019, 09:55 PM (122)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
I have the Premium Package on my 2019 R1250 GSA that already includes the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), the Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) and the Automatic Stability Control (ASC). I plugged my chip in for 2 full days of riding and I noticed NO difference in the Dynamic Pro Mode vs the normal Dynamic Mode. Also, with the chip installed, you lose the Standard Enduro Mode. This mode (for people like me with little big bike Enduro experience) has an adjustable preload suspension, a softer throttle response and tells the bike you are off road with street tires and still implements a softer ABS to the rear wheel. Pro Enduro Mode is for experienced off road riders with lugged tires that want the ABS deactivated on the rear wheel, Dynamic engine response and limited ASC.

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2013 K1600 GTL
2019 R1250 GSA

Last edited by Mark_M; 14-Apr-2019 at 10:14 PM (135).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM (902)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_M View Post
I have the Premium Package on my 2019 R1250 GSA that already includes the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), the Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA) and the Automatic Stability Control (ASC). I plugged my chip in for 2 full days of riding and I noticed NO difference in the Dynamic Pro Mode vs the normal Dynamic Mode. Also, with the chip installed, you lose the Standard Enduro Mode. This mode (for people like me with little big bike Enduro experience) has an adjustable preload suspension, a softer throttle response and tells the bike you are off road with street tires and still implements a softer ABS to the rear wheel. Pro Enduro Mode is for experienced off road riders with lugged tires that want the ABS deactivated on the rear wheel, Dynamic engine response and limited ASC.
I got my Bike last year, but didn't have time to play with the plug, I thought I'd get it broken in and a few miles under my belt, before trying to decide on any changes. Anticipating some riding this year I thought I'd at least investigate the idea last week. It seems to me for my R1200gs Rallye that Dynamic Pro Mode and the Enduro equivalent are basically the same as the normal Dynamic modes other than you can do limited customization. According to the manual it appears in Dynamic Pro, you can only adjust the level of the Traction Control/Stability part, not the ABS. It's been raining incessantly here, but I was considering setting it to have the Dynamic setting but with the Road setting for the Traction control/Stability etc. That's about all you could change on mine, if I'm reading the manual properly. For Dynamic Enduro there are more options because you can alter the ABS levels, but in general, IMO, it takes some liberties with the word "custom" as it seems you are just able to mix and match some of the stock settings from within Road, Rain and Enduro modes, but cannot introduce your own custom values.

If you just plug the red device in and then don't change any settings, you will have the same Dynamic settings as stock in my understanding, I forget regarding Enduro, but think you still have to change the settings that can be altered not to just have the normal Dynamic Enduro settings. So without making changes, I don't think you'll notice anything.

Last edited by redhawk4; Yesterday at 04:50 PM (909).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM (011)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk4 View Post
I got my Bike last year, but didn't have time to play with the plug, I thought I'd get it broken in and a few miles under my belt, before trying to decide on any changes. Anticipating some riding this year I thought I'd at least investigate the idea last week. It seems to me for my R1200gs Rallye that Dynamic Pro Mode and the Enduro equivalent are basically the same as the normal Dynamic modes other than you can do limited customization. According to the manual it appears in Dynamic Pro, you can only adjust the level of the Traction Control/Stability part, not the ABS. It's been raining incessantly here, but I was considering setting it to have the Dynamic setting but with the Road setting for the Traction control/Stability etc. That's about all you could change on mine, if I'm reading the manual properly. For Dynamic Enduro there are more options because you can alter the ABS levels, but in general, IMO, it takes some liberties with the word "custom" as it seems you are just able to mix and match some of the stock settings from within Road, Rain and Enduro modes, but cannot introduce your own custom values.

If you just plug the red device in and then don't change any settings, you will have the same Dynamic settings as stock in my understanding, I forget regarding Enduro, but think you still have to change the settings that can be altered not to just have the normal Dynamic Enduro settings. So without making changes, I don't think you'll notice anything.
I did the same by putting a few thousand miles on before installing the plug to get a feel for the bike. Dynamic Pro offered no improved options that I already could access or wanted in normal Dynamic Mode. There were more options in the Enduro Pro Mode like you mentioned but without the plug, I can have my Dynamic Mode then switch to Normal Enduro Mode when I go off road. If I read the manual correctly (and the manual is less than desired for a quick answer), Normal Enduro Mode is like the Rain Mode but for the dirt (softer response and some suspension compression options).

I also noted that without the plug installed, the connector sits in a little cradle. With the plug installed, the plug and connector didnít seat in the cradle very securely as the plug/connector was now too long. I had to use a cable tie to anchor it down securely.

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2013 K1600 GTL
2019 R1250 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in