Switch from GSA to GS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 10:18 AM (637) Thread Starter

Switch from GSA to GS

Hello all from So Cal,

Just wondering if any tall riders here with about 34" inseam ever switched from GSA to GS. If so could you please share the reasons for doing so and any regrets doing it?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 12:07 PM (713)

Unless you need the extra fuel range, plan to fit large heavy duty (and wide) panniers and like a 'man spreading' riding position go for the GS rather than the GSA. The GS is cheaper, lighter, lower, narrower and better handling. Oops! I think I have just pissed off half the members of this forum.
Revilok and asaulo1 like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2019, 12:13 PM (717)
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
Unless you need the extra fuel range, plan to fit large heavy duty (and wide) panniers and like a 'man spreading' riding position go for the GS rather than the GSA. The GS is cheaper, lighter, lower, narrower and better handling. Oops! I think I have just pissed off half the members of this forum.
Oh man, I'm sitting watching this thread...eating popcorn and drinking prosecco!...it's gonna be fun!

Kam
Ryno23 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 07:42 AM (529)

isn't the peg to seat distance the same for both?

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 09:37 AM (609) Thread Starter

There are few people who switched from GS to GSA, but seems like other way never happens (of course there might be a an exception somewhere).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 09:55 AM (622)

I have both in my garage and can ride them back to back anytime I choose. Both are 2017s, one GS and one GSA. I can honestly say I prefer the GSA. I just feels more stable and planted. It's better in crosswinds and has better wind protection. The GS is easier to handle at slow speeds, the GSA just requires a little more effort. Off-road, it's a toss up.

"Frame design varies but a little between the two models, with a 64.5-degree steering-head angle on the GS and a 65.5-degree angle on the GSA. The Bayerische Motoren Werke measures its rake angle from the horizontal, instead of the vertical like U.S. manufacturers do, so this translates to 25.5 degrees on the GS and 24.5 degrees on the GSA.

The suspension and rolling gear highlight the divide between the models. While they both run 37 mm, usd front forks, the GS suspension provides 7.5 inches of travel up front, versus the 8.3-inch travel on the GSA.

A cast-aluminum, single-sided swingarm rides on BMWs EVO Paralever rear shock, and both bikes also share the hand-wheel feature for rear preload and damping adjustments to quickly dial in your ride. The rear shock floats the GS on 7.9 inches of travel and the GSA on 8.7 inches of travel." -Topspeed Motorcycle
JMB711 and Kartik7k like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 02:24 PM (808)

Most guys (people) with a 34" inseam can ride whatever they please and no one is going to say anything about it. I just got off of my GSA and love it, but I have never ridden a GS.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2019, 04:17 PM (886)

I have a 17 GS Rallye with the 20mm taller Sports suspension, which gives, for me the best of both worlds. Most of the time when I'm riding it's hot so I don't want the extra weather protection of the GSA and I don't need the larger tank. I prefer the sleeker looks of the GS Rallye too, if it can be called sleek, but it's definitely sleeker than the GSA

Both are great bikes, a lot comes down to the cost at the end of the day, I got a really good deal on my Rallye with all the factory extras, so there was no way based on that deal I was going to pay the massive amount extra for a GSA, but under different circumstances the prices can be closer, particularly if you want some of the items that would be extra on the GS that are already on the GSA crash bars, driving lights etc.

Ultimately getting the bike that fits you and you are happiest on is also very important, these bikes aren't cheap and saving a couple of thousand to end up with one that isn't really want you wanted will be a mistake in the long term. Make your decision and then don't take any notice of what anyone else thinks of your choice.

I'm 6' 4" and find the GS Rallye with the Sports Suspension is wonderful, with the 20mm taller suspension I fitted the 20mm Touratech lowered foot pegs that really opened up the riding position while still giving me normal ground clearance. I think the Sports Suspension is just the GSA suspension on the GS, taller and stiffer than the stock GS suspension, but welcome if you ride 2 up and or heavily laden.

Last edited by redhawk4; 15-Apr-2019 at 04:23 PM (891).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 03:01 PM (834)

Garage
I've had both and prefer the GSA. I have 32" inseam and my'14 GS was a bit "quicker" off the line compared to the '17 which has a heavier fly wheel. That being said the GS might have a slightly quicker handling but it's really minimal. The GSA definitely has a smoother, softer suspension when set in the "soft" setting. More comfortable on the tarmac with the extra weight of fuel and general mass of the bike. I commute here in NYC and find the GSA is a great commuter bike. I really can't see going back to a GS with the smaller tank. The extra fuel is a huge plus and is carried low so you really don't even notice any extra weight while riding. The GSA does have a massive look to it, which I actually find kinda cool. It has a "presence" the GS does not. I loved my GS but haven't missed it for a second since moving to a GSA.
Kartik7k likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2019, 04:28 PM (894)

I’m 6’3” 33” inseam and bought the 1250GS HP / high Rallye seat and sports suspension, with the understanding from the dealer that the sports suspension was the same as the GSA. However not so sure, when I sat on a new standard GSA recently it definitely felt taller and a better fit for me. Hope to test ride the GSA HP sometime soon and can see me going the other way.

Interested to know if anyone has put a GSA suspension on GS. And wonder if BMW uses different spring rates for different markets.

Last edited by Gdoss; 17-Apr-2019 at 04:38 PM (901).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode