Break. - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2019, 01:31 PM (771) Thread Starter

Break.

On the TFT screen of my R1250GS there is something called 'Break'. Haven't a clue what it is. The figure after it often shows '52'. Is that minutes, hours, years, miles, kilometres?

An explanation would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2019, 03:26 PM (851)

Garage
The R1250GSA manual page 117 says that is related to the trip computer:

Break
Journey
Current (TRIP 1)
Av. spee.
Av. consump.

I'm guessing it's minutes as speed, distance, MPG make no sense for a break, and those are what's usually spit from onboard computers.

See the snapshot below from your manual (R1250GSA manufactured after March 2019):

If you need an electronic copy of your manual, here's a link to owners manuals section of BMW site:

BMW Motorrad International

If you have your VIN you can be precise about which manual to get. For GS, there's an 0J91 (HP model) and 0J93. For the GSA, there's 0J51 (HP) and 0J53. Then for each of there's a manual for bikes manufactured Aug and Sep 2018 onwards and for bikes manufactured Mar 2019 onwards. All that info is available in your VIN. Here's a decoder that will tell you manufacture date.

RealOEM.com - Select Your BMW Model
Attached Images

Last edited by goethe; 18-Apr-2019 at 03:28 PM (853).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 03:16 AM (344)

Break means time your bike is inactive, not in use. I'm not sure why we need to know this. Seems kind of ridiculous to let us know how long its been since we rode the bike.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 07:08 AM (506) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shma View Post
Break means time your bike is inactive, not in use. I'm not sure why we need to know this. Seems kind of ridiculous to let us know how long its been since we rode the bike.
That makes sense! Explains why the figure (presumably minutes) doesn't change when on the move. I agree it's pretty pointless. Just shows how much time has been wasted drinking coffee rather than riding!!!!! Better if it could set so that it would tell you when to have a break.

Compared to the old display the TFT screen doesn't show - instant fuel consumption, today's date and only has one trip meter (which fortunately will, if chosen, automatically reset each day).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 11:37 AM (692)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
That makes sense! Explains why the figure (presumably minutes) doesn't change when on the move. I agree it's pretty pointless. Just shows how much time has been wasted drinking coffee rather than riding!!!!! Better if it could set so that it would tell you when to have a break.

Compared to the old display the TFT screen doesn't show - instant fuel consumption, today's date and only has one trip meter (which fortunately will, if chosen, automatically reset each day).
My 2018 has 2 trip meters. You might check under settings and see if trip 2 has been turned off.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 11:58 AM (707) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shma View Post
My 2018 has 2 trip meters. You might check under settings and see if trip 2 has been turned off.
My mistake! Yes it has two trip meters. My non TFT R1200GS,in effect, had two trip meters plus the automatic trip.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2019, 06:09 PM (965)

Garage
I think break means how many miles you go before you pull over for a “break”. I have the same thing on the Garmin.

2016 R1200GSA
The Red Witch

Greg
2016 R1200GSA
“Red Witch”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode