5Likes
  • 1 Post By Scubaman
  • 2 Post By Crucian
  • 1 Post By Rick92040
  • 1 Post By PerazziMx14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 02:17 PM (803) Thread Starter

Packing Vario Cases Video or Pics

I am going on a one week trip and I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how they pack the BMW Vario cases. There seems to be tons of videos on you tube but I have found none specific to the Vario bags.
AdventureDoc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 03:57 PM (873)

Garage
Heavier crap down low, lighter crap on top with some forethought on what needs to be readily accessible. You camping/moteling, colder weather/warmer weather or what. Usually your question starts with "what shall I take" not "how shall I pack" For a one week outing you won't need much...tire patch, air, minimal duds, aeropress coffee, church key tooth brush water jug and a credit card?

I look like Mayflower Moving and Storage when I'm out for six weeks but I camp, cook and pass through various climatic conditions.
Southpaw and Also Ran like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 04:04 PM (877)
Super Awesom Person

Clothes and stuff I need to bring into the hotel in a waterproof bag on the back, travel gear and tools in the side bags.
Southpaw likes this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 05:39 PM (943)
R27

If you don't have them, bag liners help. I have these. They are reasonable and good quality.

https://kathysmotorcyclebags.com/product-category/bmw/

Mike
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2019, 11:19 PM (180)

I've been using these for years. Cheap and designed for Vario bags!

Saddlemen BMW Saddlebag Liner Set fits BMW R1200GS Vario Bags
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 03:40 PM (861)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
I am going on a one week trip and I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how they pack the BMW Vario cases. There seems to be tons of videos on you tube but I have found none specific to the Vario bags.
Lay out everything you think you need, then reduce it by half. Look at what's left - and remove a third again. Anything remaining now should easily fit into a medium sized waterproof dry-bag. Tightly rolled tshirts & pants pack better than folded. All of a sudden you find you'll only fill up half of one pannier with clothes, and have room for camp gear or other stuff in the other one. Swimmers, flip flops, towel, sketch pad, mints, bucket hat and other light stuff go in the quickdraw topbox. Wash undies & socks in the shower daily - that way you neither attract carrion connoisseurs nor repel persons of interest ...

Luck is where preparedness meets opportunity.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2019, 03:58 PM (874)

Garage
Pack your stuff tighter than a whale's ass...

watertight.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 12:06 PM (712)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Might want to keep the top box reserved for lightweight items only. That passenger seat behind me is good for dry bag. Side boxes are for tools etc.

'05 1200 GS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 06:21 AM (473)

You might consider getting some nylon (rayon, etc., whatever) underwear. It is light and dries quickly after washing in the evening.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-May-2019, 05:53 AM (453)

The biggest thing to do is lay all the weeks cloths out on the bed. Then put 1/2 of it back in the dresser/or closet. Then take a real hard look at whats left and reduce even further.

For a week I take 1 pair of jeans (sometimes)
2 Pair of quick dry fishing pants with removable legs so they double as shorts. The also pack really small
6 Pair of socks
6 Pair of underwear
6 Under Armour type shirts as these also pack really small
Dopp bag for toiletries and meds

Then either learn to roll shirts and socks (lots of vids on YouTube) or lately I've been using the foodsaver vacuum sealer to package up shirt, socks and underwear per day. Dirty cloths go in a nylon rollie and you can really compact them in there.

Clothes for a week I can fir in the exhaust side Vario not extended in a Kathy's bag. The top Vario is left for stowing jacked and riding pants. Right pannier is for sneaker, dirty clothes rollie and flex space.

When i travel I try to leave with all the Varios in the retracted position. That way I have even more flex space along the way for picking up trinkets for the family.
Luke Warmwater likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode