Your opinions - Arai XD-4 or the Klim Krios Karbon - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:14 AM (676) Thread Starter

Your opinions - Arai XD-4 or the Klim Krios Karbon

In the market to upgrade my lid to the above mentioned. Found a sale on the Arai XD-4 for around $500 and the regular price for the Klim Krios is around the same. What are your thoughts? I have tried the Arai and it seems comfortable as far as the shape is concerned. Anyone running with these and can comment on "all day" wear and comfort? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:23 AM (682)

Garage
As a huge Arai fan I lean towards Arai, but the fit is a very personal thing. Can you try either before you commit?
ExHarley Rider and asaulo1 like this.

Ride to Work, Work to Ride
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 04:26 PM (893)

I tried both at a motorcycle show last year and ended up with the Arai. The Klim had a pressure spot on my forehead whereas the Arai felt so comfortable. The Arai also impressed me more with fit and finish

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 06:19 PM (971)

I have the Arai XD-4 (matches my bike ). Klim just didn't fit me as well. Arai an Shoei are the best fit for me, I also have a Neotec that has seen better days (in it's 5th year).

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 09:05 PM (087)

Again, noggin shape. I have a long oval head and the Klim fits me better. To massage out any hotspot of any helmet I've always used the back of a melon baller scoop utensil to form the inside of the helmet foam to fit the shape of my head better.
Attached Images

Bobvalrod likes this.

Last edited by enzo5000; 02-May-2019 at 08:16 AM (553).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:15 PM (177)

Arai has been making helmets for a damn long time. They are both SNELL and DOT approved, and you can't buy a better helmet for your money. It all depends on what fits you best. Klim is a relative newcomer to the helmet and M/C clothing scene. Yeah, they are popular, but I don't think they are proven in helmet R&D. Arai is. Do your research on Arai. They have a helmet fitting process, and make helmets to fit all shapes of heads. I have the XD-4 and LOVE it. So comfortable. I have what is considered an "oval head." Look at Shoei, AGV, and Schuberth. A good helmet is going to cost you $500+. It's only your brain.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:18 PM (179)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo5000 View Post
Again, noggin shape. I have a long oval head and the Klim fits me better. To massage out any hotspot of any helmet I've always used one of those little melon baller scoop utensils to form the inside of the helmet foam to fit my brain pan.
Pretty sure when you have a massive brain injury, the helmet company is going to wipe away all liability because you've "melon balled" the inside of their protective structure.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2019, 11:22 PM (182)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
In the market to upgrade my lid to the above mentioned. Found a sale on the Arai XD-4 for around $500 and the regular price for the Klim Krios is around the same. What are your thoughts? I have tried the Arai and it seems comfortable as far as the shape is concerned. Anyone running with these and can comment on "all day" wear and comfort? Thanks.
Klim Krios Karbon. KKK. Ha. That's weird.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 05:40 AM (444)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbrown357 View Post
Arai has been making helmets for a damn long time. They are both SNELL and DOT approved, and you can't buy a better helmet for your money. It all depends on what fits you best. Klim is a relative newcomer to the helmet and M/C clothing scene. Yeah, they are popular, but I don't think they are proven in helmet R&D. Arai is. Do your research on Arai. They have a helmet fitting process, and make helmets to fit all shapes of heads. I have the XD-4 and LOVE it. So comfortable. I have what is considered an "oval head." Look at Shoei, AGV, and Schuberth. A good helmet is going to cost you $500+. It's only your brain.
History is replete with stories of companies that have "been making things for a damn long time" getting their corporate asses handed to them by newer guys on the scene. I like Arai, Shoei, Schubert and have owned more than one of each but I'm open to improvements in design and construction that lead the industry to new places. I'm really intrigued about the Koroyd construction of the new Klim hats. My current Shoei Hornet X2 is coming up on 5 years old and I'm starting to shop around. The claims of Koroyd materials is pretty impressive and I'm hoping that lid fits my noggin. If it does, that's the one I'll buy next.

https://koroyd.com/klim-f5-koroyd-motorcycle-helmet/
bmac likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-Apr-2019, 05:50 AM (451)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbrown357 View Post
Pretty sure when you have a massive brain injury, the helmet company is going to wipe away all liability because you've "melon balled" the inside of their protective structure.
I'm pretty sure that when I have massive brain injury the last thing on my (or my family's) mind will be helmet manufacturer liability but your point is well taken. Modify your helmet at your own peril and better to get a hat that fits properly to begin with. The best helmet advice I can give is get one that fits your head snugly but well shaped with no hot spots, full face, and the absolute best tech (lightest and proven) you can afford. I was won over in the 1970's by Bell's adds about "if you have a $10 head..."

I have friends that push back on the full-face advice to which I say, OK, then I guess you're OK with protecting everything but your face. I took a slide when I was 17 years old on the front of a Bell helmet that had it not been a full face design, I wouldn't have a face. It wore through the shell down to the substructure of the helmet on the chin bar. I've never owned anything but since.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode