R1200GS Forum banner

Some questions from new GS owner

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  tic105 
#1 · (Edited)
First official post (except for in the intro section). Loving the GS so far (‘18) and have a few questions for the collective:

Bike came with comfort seats which I think I’ll switch to a low version. Looking at Touratech low and BMW low. Opinions on others to consider?

600 mile service: always done my own service and will likely do the break-in one. From what I gather, re-torque of the head bolts are no longer needed - just engine & final drive oil change and overall visual inspection. Is this correct?

I won’t have a service manual before the time I do the 600 mile interval. Can someone provide me with the torque specs for oil drain plug and the fill & drain plugs for the final drive?

Thanks

#9 ·
Updates don't occur that often. The thing you want to do at the start of every service is read the various controllers for any logged faults. That can point out possible trouble spots that you need to take a look at. Finally, at the end of the service you want to clear all faults. Sometimes normal service activities will trigger faults, e.g. turning on the ignition with the tank off the bike will trigger a fuel system fault.

The GS-911 or similar device can be used to read and clear faults as well as clearing the "service needed" indicator.

#8 ·
I like my Sargent seat however it was very firm when I first got it. I would push into the seat with my fist or palm before a ride and it would be fine. After 10 months and 14k on the bike it's just fine right out of the gate. However everyone's butt is different and you should keep looking if you didn't like the last Sargent seat. I also found if I put the seat on high my thighs bear some of the load. Be advised they will charge a re-stocking fee if you return it. Perhaps a local seat customizer would be better???

#10 ·
First official post (except for in the intro section). Loving the GS so far (‘18) and have a few questions for the collective:

Bike came with comfort seats which I think I’ll switch to a low version. Looking at Touratech low and BMW low. Opinions on others to consider?

Thanks
I had Terry Adcox Custom Seats do the seat on my '14 GSA. It works well for me, he has a process of interviewing and you send him some photos of you sitting on your bike. It was about $275 including the return shipping IIRC

On my previous bike, '13 FJR, I had Seth Laam, Laam Custom Seats personalize my seat. I loved the Laam seat, did multiple long days in a row 750-1100 miles per day, would have used him again but he was really backed up at the time I wanted it done. Seth has raised his prices since 2014 when I had my seat done.

Many swear by Russel Day Long Saddles - I've sat on a few and they feel good just can't get past the price point. I believe, but I'm not certain, that both Laam and Adcox both worked for Russel at one time. The seats are all similarly shaped in the "Bucket" style.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the seat suggestions. There’s a local seat modification shop that I might consider. Comes highly recommended by riders in the area. Sargent certainly is popular and even with their restocking fee, might be worth a try. Actually the comfort seat on the bike feels really good and does not push me into the tank - just need it a bit lower.

I’m also amazed by the ESA, we don’t have the smoothest roads here in CT and those that use to toss me around on the R1100S are nearly unnoticeable on the GS - the wonders of technology!

#12 ·
If you are looking for a lower seat, the Sargent Low will only be marginally lower if it all. Its much wider so splays your legs and negates any actual reduction in height. I went from comfort to Sargent low so I have first hand experience. I ended up getting a Touratech Extra low pre owned and its perfect. Its a firm seat but thats what I prefer and I do 500+mile days in it no problem at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.