TPMS question - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-May-2019, 10:03 AM (627) Thread Starter

TPMS question

I have an 07 GS currently fitted with alloy wheels. I'm about to fit it with Spoked wheels and E07 tyres for more off road durability. However I don't really want to go the trouble and additional expense of getting another set of sensors etc. So my question is will I be left with a permanent warning sign on the cluster if I just mount the wheels with regular valves?

If that is going to be the case then I'll reconsider or even look at swapping the current sensors across.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-May-2019, 08:58 AM (582)

Garage
You will absolutely have a warning on your dash if you don't have sensors installed in the wheels.

2013 R1200GSA
2014 K1600GT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-May-2019, 09:49 AM (617)

Garage
While TPMS isn't especially accurate compared to a gauge, it offers relative pressure data that can be valuable. If a rear is at 42psi and the TPMS always ranges 37 to 40, approximate proper pressure is indicated. If TPMS starts to show 32 it's time to pull up and check what's going on. I wouldn't want to be without it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-May-2019, 03:42 PM (862)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Easy swap

It's not that big a job to swap those sensors to the new wheels.
I had one stop working on the rear of my 2010 GS last year.
It started giving some weird readings and then stopped working altogether.
I eventually purchased a new one and was ready to fit it when i fitted two new tyres.
Strangely enough, it started working again, and has not been a problem in the last 6 months.

My P.S.I readings are always 3-4 Pound higher than my digital gauge, no big issue for me as its always constant.

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 83000 km and going as good as new.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 12:21 AM (223)
LAS

Rtfm

As stated plainly in your bike’s manual, the TPM provides data based on an algorithm that assumes that your tires are cold and that it is exactly 68F out. This allows for consistent, precise pressures in all climates. Where BMW specifies that your tire pressure should be 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear, it also expects that those pressures are with an ambient temp of 68F. If you fill your tires to the BMW specified pressure numbers as indicated by a gauge on a cold day, you will have overinflated your tires. A The converse would be true were you to do the same when the ambient temp is higher than 68F. Anyone who has raced professionally on tracks, auto or motorcycle, appreciates the benefits of precise consistent pressure in their tires regardless of what the outside air temp is.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 12:08 AM (214) Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I had the TPMS units transferred across from the old wheels, all fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode