seat height - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 01:59 PM (791) Thread Starter

seat height

I need some help from the fountain of wisdom on this forum. The perfect seat height for me seems to be 33 inches or 840cm. The GS seat height is 33 inches, but I want the GSA. Do I buy a standard GSA (34 - 35 inches / 890 cm) and get a low seat option or a lowered GSA (31 inches / 810 cm) and get a High comfort seat. I don't believe any of these options get me to the desired seat height but which would be easier to get me closest to the desired seat height? Any help would be appreciated.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide
2009 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 02:49 PM (826)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Keep in mind that if you just change the height of the seat, you will be changing the relationship of your butt to footpegs, bars and windshield, opening up a world of frustrating fiddling (don't ask how I know). If the GSA has the right relationship of seat/bars/pegs/windshield, talk about lower suspension options. Might be something that's just an ESA adjustment away...

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 05:07 PM (921)

Have you tried a GSA with the seat in low, fore and aft, and the suspension set on 1 rider. My GSA, a '17, will squat when I crank it up so that I can get my feet flat on the floor. I just have to be careful when I stop to make sure that there is a level surface to put my feet on. My legs are long enough, and I'm old enough, that I don't want to reduce the seat-to-pegs distance.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 07:26 PM (018)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Have you tried a GSA with the seat in low, fore and aft, and the suspension set on 1 rider. My GSA, a '17, will squat when I crank it up so that I can get my feet flat on the floor. I just have to be careful when I stop to make sure that there is a level surface to put my feet on. My legs are long enough, and I'm old enough, that I don't want to reduce the seat-to-pegs distance.
Judge they dont have the 1 rider 2 rider settings anymore.......on the ESA its Minimum Auto and Maximum. If you put it on minimum Im sure the OP would be able to flat foot but the suspension becomes really soft! I dislike it but my another buddy loves it......I think the OP should just get on the two bikes and compare them side by side
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-May-2019, 07:10 AM (507)
LAS

Donít be hung up on seat height, inseam, etc. How wide the seat is and where it gets narrow will play a big part in whether you can seat the bike comfortably. There is NO substitute or piece of data that anyone can give you that will tell you how well a bike/ saddle works for you. Go to the dealer. Demo the bikes. Swap out seats.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 15-May-2019, 11:17 AM (678)

Lower suspension means less suspension travel and less compliance.

You can weigh that against the compromises with lower seat: less room between seat and footpegs.

Which is more important to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode