Medical Evacuation - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 07:09 PM (006)

Local EMS Helicopter subscription

1. A Flight nurse on local "LifeFlight" EMS helicopter told me (4 years ago) that their average bill was around $15k. (It was probably only that low because most of their calls are near urban areas that are relatively close to trauma centers. Would be more in remote areas, where we like to ride.)

2. I signed up for helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year); however, if you read the contract's fine print I understand that you are not guaranteed a helicopter flight, rather local EMS triages you and makes the judgement call regarding what mode of transportation is most appropriate, keeping in mind that helicopters are about 10x more costly than ground transportation. Local EMS may have their own financial incentive to want to haul you, as well. (P.S: I used to work on a volunteer ambulance crew.)

3. The plan <https://www.lifeflight.org/service-area/> covers most of the north western states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, parts of Montana, through reciprocal agreements of some sort.

4. Thanks for starting this thread--good info.

---------------------------------------
4. Separately, I just rode to Portland-Houston-Portland in last month (6300 miles) and found the BMWMOA tire program a lifesaver. I had a flat near Nogales and received a timely 60-mile tow and a new Heidenou tire for about $49 out-of-pocket. I have the "Platinum Plan" for $109/year.

Last edited by Vatu; 13-May-2019 at 07:17 PM (011).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 08:18 AM (554)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatu View Post
1. A Flight nurse on local "LifeFlight" EMS helicopter told me (4 years ago) that their average bill was around $15k. (It was probably only that low because most of their calls are near urban areas that are relatively close to trauma centers. Would be more in remote areas, where we like to ride.)

2. I signed up for helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year); however, if you read the contract's fine print I understand that you are not guaranteed a helicopter flight, rather local EMS triages you and makes the judgement call regarding what mode of transportation is most appropriate, keeping in mind that helicopters are about 10x more costly than ground transportation. Local EMS may have their own financial incentive to want to haul you, as well. (P.S: I used to work on a volunteer ambulance crew.)

3. The plan <https://www.lifeflight.org/service-area/> covers most of the north western states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, parts of Montana, through reciprocal agreements of some sort.

4. Thanks for starting this thread--good info.

---------------------------------------
4. Separately, I just rode to Portland-Houston-Portland in last month (6300 miles) and found the BMWMOA tire program a lifesaver. I had a flat near Nogales and received a timely 60-mile tow and a new Heidenou tire for about $49 out-of-pocket. I have the "Platinum Plan" for $109/year.
"helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year)" Whose?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 09:21 AM (598)

LifeFlight--Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
"helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year)" Whose?
https://www.lifeflight.org/
bigjohnsd likes this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 09:21 AM (598) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
Website down for maintenance - no help today!
Website remains down today? Possibly they need to send a chopper to collect a coder?

If I broke my leg and saw a helicopter land with no insurance I'd probably finish the job on myself rather than hand over 50 grand?
bigjohnsd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode