Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Portland, Oregon
Local EMS Helicopter subscription
1. A Flight nurse on local "LifeFlight" EMS helicopter told me (4 years ago) that their average bill was around $15k. (It was probably only that low because most of their calls are near urban areas that are relatively close to trauma centers. Would be more in remote areas, where we like to ride.)
2. I signed up for helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year); however, if you read the contract's fine print I understand that you are not guaranteed a helicopter flight, rather local EMS triages you and makes the judgement call regarding what mode of transportation is most appropriate, keeping in mind that helicopters are about 10x more costly than ground transportation. Local EMS may have their own financial incentive to want to haul you, as well. (P.S: I used to work on a volunteer ambulance crew.)
3. The plan <https://www.lifeflight.org/service-area/> covers most of the north western states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, parts of Montana, through reciprocal agreements of some sort.
4. Thanks for starting this thread--good info.
4. Separately, I just rode to Portland-Houston-Portland in last month (6300 miles) and found the BMWMOA tire program a lifesaver. I had a flat near Nogales and received a timely 60-mile tow and a new Heidenou tire for about $49 out-of-pocket. I have the "Platinum Plan" for $109/year.
Last edited by Vatu; 13-May-2019 at 07:17 PM (011).