Medical Evacuation - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 01:02 PM (751) Thread Starter

Garage
Medical Evacuation

Yea..I know, what a subject! I live on an Island with very poor health services so I pay $110 a year for fixed wing evacuation to a US based hospital, should the requirement arise. With this in mind, I started thinking about helicopter evacuations from remote areas in the US and Canada. I've seen reliable information that indicates the cost ranges from $25k to $50k to get scraped up and flown to the nearest facility. While medicare covers ambulance service I don't think it covers a helicopter.

I looked at Global Rescue, a provider of worldwide services and can get 30 days coverage for $229.00. I'll be crossing North America both directions, late May through June. Anyone out there have this coverage or know more than I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 05:54 PM (954)

I have SkyMed and have been satisfied my one experience of being air lifted to hospital.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 08:22 PM (057)
Survivor

Garage
Just started SkyMed yesterday. Pays for ground ambulance, helicopter and jet. From your home, from any foreign country, from scene of accident, from hospital to hospital, from hospital to home. Will also pay for your traveling partner to be flown home or for a family member to be flown to you. They will crate and ship your motorcycle too. Cost about $1,600 for 36 months and because I am a vet I got three additional months. Costs more than MedJet but provides better coverage. There have been people around here who have been billed $70k for a helicopter from an accident scene and then a jet to another hospital.
ExHarley Rider and bigjohnsd like this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 05:40 AM (445) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info on SkyMed. The subject for me is one that I would like to avoid but having one's accounts drained would be insult to injury. I'll take a look at SkyMed and compare it to Global Rescue. I usually ride two months a year in North America so monthly coverage is all I'm looking for. The $110 annual to get out of here 'case I get shark bit or shot is a pretty good deal....

I'm going to call Medicare and see what their limits of 80% coverage on "ambulance" transport actually covers and report back for other geezers out there that ride the wild side.

As someone once said, "Don't ride so fast you outrun your Guardian Angel".
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 06:43 AM (488)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Thanks for the info on SkyMed. The subject for me is one that I would like to avoid but having one's accounts drained would be insult to injury. I'll take a look at SkyMed and compare it to Global Rescue. I usually ride two months a year in North America so monthly coverage is all I'm looking for. The $110 annual to get out of here 'case I get shark bit or shot is a pretty good deal....

I'm going to call Medicare and see what their limits of 80% coverage on "ambulance" transport actually covers and report back for other geezers out there that ride the wild side.

As someone once said, "Don't ride so fast you outrun your Guardian Angel".
There goes a month out of your life.
Jim Nazium likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 07:31 AM (521)

I've heard mixed reports on air ambulance transport plans. I know one guy that got busted up pretty bad in a report part of northern California (many broken bones, and other trauma) and they said his accident didn't justify air transport and he laid on the side of the road for a long time waiting on ground EMS. I've also heard you should be wary of the language in these plans that represent they'll take you where you want to be treated.

Whatever plan you choose, my thinking is that I shouldn't be riding anywhere that I can't personally afford to be rescued from by the best means available after activating my Inreach SOS.

Another thing to think about while on this topic is the value of Wilderness First Aid and First Responder training. I ride with the same group of guys every year and we keep saying we should get the training - haven't done it yet - I think it's a great idea before you go off with a group to a place where help is many hours away.

https://www.nols.edu/en/about/wilder...RoCSkIQAvD_BwE

https://www.wildmedcenter.com

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by GrayBeard; 13-May-2019 at 03:04 PM (836).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 01:48 PM (783) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Whatever plan you choose, my thinking is that I shouldn't be riding anywhere that I can personally afford to be rescued from by the best means available after activating my Inreach SOS.

Another thing to think about while on this topic is the value of Wilderness First Aid and First Responder training. I ride with the same group of guys every year and we keep saying we should get the training - haven't done it yet - I think it's a great idea before you go off with a group to a place where help is many hours away.
A helicopter is $50,000 +/-. How can one know where emergency services may elect to use one, needed or not? I assume you meant (can't) personally afford. I (can't) afford 50k for a helicopter.

First aid is the immediate and temporary treatment given to the victim of an accident or sudden illness until the services of a medical professional can be obtained. I carry a small but effective trauma kit and know how to use it.

For a couple of hundred dollars I think I'll also carry a med evacuation membership card.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 03:09 PM (839)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
I assume you meant (can't) personally afford. .
Yep, apologies. I mean I don't ride anywhere I can't afford to be rescued. That's a bit easier as I have a benefit on my Amex that will pay for medical recovery and transport for an accident that happens while I'm traveling as long as it's arranged by them. There's some pretty amazing benefits to the Platinum level cards from various financial institutions and I sincerely hope that I never have to test the medivac features of mine.

Hmmm, I should make sure that the Inreach Network has my Amex benefit on file in case I'm not in a state where I can advise them on that. I ride a lot of places where the only way to communicate is via satellite text/phone.

You know, I wouldn't want to have to pay for a $50,000 helicopter ride but if I really needed one to save my life, I'd pay twice that for the ride. It's a lot easier to quibble about the price after your life is saved but I suspect any of us would pay whatever it takes to get rescued if we were in a life threatening situation. I guess a Medivac plan is like any insurance. You weigh the chance of needing it, the downside if you don't have it, and the cost of the insurance and make the right choice for you.

For me, the main thing is that I have a way to call in the help if I should need it.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by GrayBeard; 13-May-2019 at 03:14 PM (843).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 04:31 PM (896)
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Just started SkyMed yesterday. Pays for ground ambulance, helicopter and jet. From your home, from any foreign country, from scene of accident, from hospital to hospital, from hospital to home. Will also pay for your traveling partner to be flown home or for a family member to be flown to you. They will crate and ship your motorcycle too. Cost about $1,600 for 36 months and because I am a vet I got three additional months. Costs more than MedJet but provides better coverage. There have been people around here who have been billed $70k for a helicopter from an accident scene and then a jet to another hospital.
Website down for maintenance - no help today!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-May-2019, 05:42 PM (945)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
Website down for maintenance - no help today!
The price we got was much less than their website. We were at a BMWMOA Getaway in Coeur d’Alene last weekend. They had a SkyMed Rep make a presentation and offer a good deal. I bet a smooth talking sailor could get the same deal.
bigjohnsd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode