A New Bike & A Few Questions... - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ripcord
  • 1 Post By gsinid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2019, 09:46 PM (115) Thread Starter

A New Bike & A Few Questions...

Hi everyone! Great to be part of this group!

My first BMW motorcycle was an Edition 80 Rockster, I had a 2017 r1200 gsa, that I traded in on Thursday for the HP 1250 GSA.

So while I've had a similar bike for a couple years, the new bike has me looking and thinking about things all over again.

So some questions...

1. I have seen a ton out there about adding screen protectors to the tft screen. Where it is and not being touch I am not sure I see this need, but I don't like damage. Can anyone speak to this?

2. I have always been enticed by the thought of a slip on muffler to improve the sound but never got around to it on either of my previous bikes. Is this a worthy mod? Any downsides?

3. One of my very few complaints of my older GSA was the seat. I needed to get off and give my backside a break more than I wanted to. The 1250, I am sure in part because it is brand new, feels even less comfortable to me. Any seat manufacturers you'd recommend me checking out?

4. While I have never had any issues, I am cognizant of wanting to do best by this new bike. I read such conflicting info on break-in procedures. Thoughts?

Thanks again! I am excited to get some miles on this incredible new bike!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-May-2019, 11:17 PM (178)

Hi Robert, Welcome aboard! Congrats for a new bike. About your questions:

1. When I purchase something new as long as possible stay with original screen protector (even thin, but usable);
2. As far as I know for my model all type of optional mufflers are half of the weight of original. I have service manual for my model and in first pages are described mass and dB characteristics of every one optional and tested. Sound and dB are almost similar to original, but half of weight. You decide.

R 1200 GS '06
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-May-2019, 03:19 AM (346)

Welcome Rob! Fairly new to the world of BMW - currently with a 2018 GSA and also had a R nine T. Here are my few thoughts on your questions ...

1. Have not installed a screen protector and am having no issues with its clarity. However, it's cheaper money for peace of mind. I don't even have one on my IPhone.

2. Tempted myself to change the muffler but after 30 years of owning HDs and spending ridiculous amounts of money on headers and mufflers for very little gain, I'm through with doing that. Do it primarily for looks if it's important to you but expect very little HP gain.

3. 2018 GSA seat was a miserable torture devise because of the forward tilt. Have not sat on a 2019 so can't comment. I (as many others have) changed to a Sargent seat which made a world of difference to me. Living in the NE, wish I had spent a few more $$$ and got the heated version.

4. I followed the BMW recommendations for break in on both bikes and have not experienced any problems.

Hope that helps.
Candubrain likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 19-May-2019, 09:16 PM (094)

1.If you manage to drop that TFT on the ground you are going to damage a fair bit of the bike before you get there

2.Have the slip on HP Muffler and the only gain is a slight weight saving but it sounds great.

3.The seat can be moved up and down and tilted from front to back. Have a play before you spend your money on A/market

4.Just ride it Don't bounce it off the limiter and don't load it up with high gearing and low revs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-May-2019, 05:26 AM (434)

Garage
A New Bike & A Few Questions...

1. I donít know what face the TFT employs but itís tough to clean. I sprayed a bit of Plexus on mine one morning and it took a lot of elbow grease to get it clean. I use a Speedo Angels tempered glass protector and, now, itís very easy to clean. https://www.speedo-angels.com/produc...een-protector/

2. I used a slip-on on an earlier machine and, while the sound was nice, it moved the rpm range a bit further up the rpm range. Also, on long trips, I tired of the noise and put the OEM muffler back on.

3. Iíve changed the seat on almost every motorcycle Iíve owned. These days, Iím enjoying a Seats Concepts low seat on my standard height GSA. https://seatconcepts.com/collections...-adventure-low

4. Iíve always used the factoryís break-in method.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-May-2019, 10:06 AM (629)

Garage
Second the opinion on using Speedo Angels screen protector, I use the matte version on all my bikes.

Second on the opinion to leave the stock exhaust on. My RR has a full titanium custom exhaust on and it sounds nice at first but gets tiring real quick, not to mention the ridiculous prices for a GS slip-on.

Sargent seats have been my go-to for many years and while I find the seat comfortable, I'd highly recommend them.

Ride it like you stole it.
mikec likes this.

2018 S1000RR "650ib Edition"
2018 R1200GS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-May-2019, 01:22 PM (765)
Super Awesom Person

I don't use a screen protector and just clean it with water and a microfiber cloth.

Aftermarket exhaust is too noisy on long trips. I left mine stock.

I also use the Sargent seat. (just get the front) It was a bit firm at first but I pushed on it with my fist and palm of my hand before every ride for the first month. I just went on a 3600 mile trip and had no bottom problems.

I continuously accelerated and decelerated the entire 600 mile break in period.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode