9Likes
  • 3 Post By Candubrain
  • 2 Post By Niks
  • 4 Post By Dr. Strangelove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-May-2019, 05:58 PM (956) Thread Starter

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
0mph tipover, blue smoke

As above, I was pulling into my driveway and hit some gravel in the curb, and went over on the right (brake) side, all the way over, not just leaning on the R jug.

2016 r1200gs LC

I got the bike upright--took two attempts on the sloping driveway, and when I tried to start, the display lit then greyed out, like losing power. The brakes also felt very squishy. I put the side stand up and down, pulled in the clutch lever a few times, tried to shift though the shift lever was reluctant to move, but eventually I got into neutral, display appeared and she started with a CLANG and lots of blue smoke, smelled like oil, from the exhaust.

I was able to ride her into the garage, and noticed the engine icon in the lower right of the display...the one with the engine profile and the exclamation point inside.
Blue smoke was profuse, but the bike started fine, and the engine "brapped" appropriately, though with lots of blue oily smoke.
The brake lever again felt tight.

I put the bike on the centerstand to check oil level...right in middle of window. The bike starts fine, though lots of blue smoke still. One time only on a test start, I again heard a clang.

I hooked the bike up to my GS911 and there was a fault for an exhaust valve, though it had a longer name than "exhaust valve." In my haste I did not save the name, but cleared the fault. I then went through all the headings with the GS911 and checked everything and no faults showed up.

I again started the bike, it was sitting maybe 10-15 min, and there was less blue smoke. Checked for faults with the GS911, and none shown. Bike again sat for probably about another 15-20 minutes and now when I start it all seems fine, with only a minimal puff of smoke when she fires up, truly minimal like when I start in the morning. I have not yet taken a test ride, though I will likely tomorrow, and that is why I am reporting this...for some advice.

So, when the bike tipped over--twice because it took two attempts to get it upright, and the second "tipover" was far more gentle and controlled---I am thinking because of gravity oil got into the right cylinder, was combusted over time, producing the blue smoke. I am also thinking that because of the upside down position of the brake lines, perhaps some air got in, caused the initial squishy feel, but when upright it rose to the top and was no longer in the system---other than being in the reservoir.

The shift and display issue I can't explain--my battery shows a resting state of 12.5v--and whatever caused the symptom, it appears gone now.
This is only the 4th? 5th tipover I've had with this bike, but this one produced things, the display, the brakes, the blue smoke, that the others have not.

Is there anything else to check? Should a trip to the dealer be considered and could they do anything I haven't.

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 06:20 AM (472)

You might want to take a shovel, and maybe a broom, out and check that gravel there by the curb. Good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 06:23 AM (474)

I had a get off on a gnarly hill, and the bike was on it side for a good 20 minutes before I could get it upright, 2018 R12000 GSA.

When I went to start the display said rear brake light malfunction. Then the starter would stall similar to what you would experience with a hydraulic lock. I released the starter button and it took two more attempts before it the engine would do a complete rotation and start.

Blue smoke for the next 2 kms. On start up it was equivalent to someone fogging the brushes for mosquitoes. Error on display disappeared.

Bike ran fine and has run fine since.

Talking to my dealers mechanic he said this was to be expected. Next time to leave the bike upright the equivalent amount of time that it was laying on its side before starting, this will allow the oil to drain back into the sump. The starters sprag gear is a sacrificial part and will break before you will do any engine damage such as bending a rod.

brian

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 07:04 AM (503)

Last year I drop my bike like you, on a right side. Only one that happens was impossible initial brake check. This lead to spongy and non effective brakes. Reason was incorrect tightened right hand protector. Protector was twisted above brake lever and push it down. Untwist it and start the bike again. All was nominal. This fall lead to rear right turn light glass broken. Change it with new one.
Dr. Strangelove and Southpaw like this.

R 1200 GS '06
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 08:23 AM (557)

Garage
I wonder if it has anything to do with the time between going down and shutting off engine?

Ironically, I was at RawHyde last weekend and dropped/fell on both sides a couple times and never got a fault or smoke?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 09:18 AM (595) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with the time between going down and shutting off engine?

Ironically, I was at RawHyde last weekend and dropped/fell on both sides a couple times and never got a fault or smoke?
Interesting you say that. When the bike was napping just after the tipover, I was in 1st, engine still running, adrenaline going wild on thought processes. I was reaching for the kill switch or the keyless, something to turn it off, but I was either pushing the wrong button, or no button, or I was getting no response, until I did??? the bike sputtered a bit, jerky motion of rear wheel, and then stopped. The time from fall to engine off was probably 30 seconds or so, but felt like an eternity. I did drop (heavily) the F bomb and I hope my neighbors did not hear--or see for that matter...It could be that "something" got out of whack, or disconnected prematurely or "something," and that lead to the display issue and the clanking sound.

Again went over the bike last night, shifting fine, no error messages, no icons on the dash to explain and no smoke.

Thanks for the input. I will do a test ride this pm and report back.

BTW, I did do a trick that was explained to me by a tech at the dealer after a brake flush. He said it was an old racer's trick. Tie wrap the brake lever in the fully drawn position overnight. This, he explained, opens the fluid path from the reservoir to the pads allowing any small bubbles to float to the top, making the brakes tighter. he said he didn't know if it really made a difference, maybe old wive's tale, but he said when he was racing, he did it all the time, and suggested I do that after the flush to dot I s and cross T s. So, I did that too.

Thanks for the reassurance and responses
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-May-2019, 12:36 PM (733) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
You might want to take a shovel, and maybe a broom, out and check that gravel there by the curb. Good luck
That was the first thing I did after I got the bike into the garage. The city fills potholes with this gravel mixture that sticks for a while then starts falling apart, and the gravel and collected dirt find its way to the curb. It is the same color as the road and I just didn't see it. I try to keep it cleared from my driveway, but neighbors allow it to accumulate and it finds its way to my house--our houses are close together.
Yesterday I removed about 4 gallons worth...about 3 weeks ago I removed about 5 gallons worth.

Gonna go on a test ride now, fingers crossed

EDIT: Took a city and highway ride...when I left home, in city traffic, I gave her some gas to wring out 1st. I left plumes of blue smoke. Ruh-Roh, decided I would go to the dealer to check it out, but within less than a mile, like Candubrain above, the smoke cleared, and I tried my best to make it reappear. It did not. I chose to not go to the dealer. On the expressway I revved her up to 5k+ rpm. No smoke with engine braking or subsequent starts. She felt really good. I was checking my current mileage and that looked normal, voltage looked good, engine temp was a bit higher than usual, but it is upper 80s today and muggy-190-205 ish. So, all in all, n o r m a l behavior.

Thanks all. I will ride to work tomorrow--about a 90 mile commute, but I think I am good to go!

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 22-May-2019 at 02:40 PM (819).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode