Important spares on a long trip? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-Jun-2019, 06:04 AM (461)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
There are plenty of dealers along the way. I wouldn't lug a bunch of spare parts you can get on the road.
IMHO.
Well, that one had me blowing milk out my nose from laughter...

There are plenty of dealers... unless you break down on a Sunday or Monday, in which case three-quarters of them will be closed and the remaining ones are too busy (or just to PO'd about having to work that day) to even bother seeing if they have the part you need in stock.

Yeah, my experience. Last summer. First day of the trip I'd bought my GS for and been planning for months. Bike ended up coming home on a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Always start with a fresh set of tires on any trip over 1000 miles. I've had to break of from a group a couple times thinking my tires would make the trip!
Wow, you must either take some long long trips or wear out tires really fast!

One of the nice things about keeping the same bike for a long time is that I've learned about how long tires last, and can generally maintain synchronization between tire wear and trip length. And yes, it does suck to have to make a tire replacement (often at the special "out-of-towner who needs a tire right now" rate) during a trip.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-Jun-2019, 06:09 AM (465)

...and a tire punction repair kit
Attached Images

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-Jun-2019, 11:58 AM (707)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20-100 View Post
Unless you have added some electrical accessories, there are no fuses on recent BMW's (even on my old 2019, all is controlled by the 'computer' which cut the power on a circuit in case of short circuit or overload)
Your bike doesn't have these fuses hidden in a holder under the saddle?
Attached Images

ECILOP likes this.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2019, 03:19 PM (847)

I'd probably find out the known issue on your bike and carry a spare for that specific issue. For example, when I did Alaska to Argentina trip on a F650GS, the known issue is water pump failure so I had the water pump kit on me. Had first failure in Prince George BC Canada on way down to Latin America. Purchased second kit and had other failure in Chile. Replaced it but it was shortened and started to leak again after Ushuaia I patched the seeping hole and rode it to Uruguay where I sold the bike.

My '05 R1200GS, I would carry spare fuel pump. You need to find out your known issue and bring spare for it. Other than that I would not bother chugging along many spares because you can score plenty of parts and many can be to your hand within 2 days. Remember, BMW add 10% charge if you need something next day, which was my experience when I had to replace a new thermostat in Arizona.

Have fun on your trip!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2019, 04:48 PM (908)

Location: Maryville, Tennessee... About 40 miles from the Dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outaluck View Post
Is there one you recommend that fits that description? 18 GSA in particular.

I’ve always modified a regular plug socket...just grind it down lightly and evenly, it’s a low torque. Just take your time, it will work...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2019, 10:38 PM (151)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saughblade View Post
Well, that one had me blowing milk out my nose from laughter...

There are plenty of dealers... unless you break down on a Sunday or Monday, in which case three-quarters of them will be closed and the remaining ones are too busy (or just to PO'd about having to work that day) to even bother seeing if they have the part you need in stock.

Yeah, my experience. Last summer. First day of the trip I'd bought my GS for and been planning for months. Bike ended up coming home on a trailer.

Wow, you must either take some long long trips or wear out tires really fast!

One of the nice things about keeping the same bike for a long time is that I've learned about how long tires last, and can generally maintain synchronization between tire wear and trip length. And yes, it does suck to have to make a tire replacement (often at the special "out-of-towner who needs a tire right now" rate) during a trip.
California riding is all about the curvy roads and they eat tires! I average 4K rear and 8K front on Shinko 705. The last 1000 miles go fast!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-Jun-2019, 05:58 AM (456) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkheathjr View Post
I'd probably find out the known issue on your bike and carry a spare for that specific issue.
That's kind of what I'm asking. Are there known issues with the '16 waterhead that could be fixed with an easily carried spare part?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-Jun-2019, 04:54 PM (912)

great answers so far

I just came in from a 2100 mi jog from LA through Death Valley, Nevada, kissed Oregon and then down the coast to home. Have the regular services done beforehand, tire pressure gauge handy, Slime pump handy, spare keys on you and spare batteries for your heated jacket remote and SPOT. You can buy anything else outside of your normal tool spread. Don't hump oil for example. Keep it very light as you will remain nimble and you have a great bike.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-Jun-2019, 08:01 AM (542)

I have a 2015 R1200 GS Adventure and it has fuses. See page 132 of the handbook (for 2015 models, that is). Your owners handbook will tell you if you have fuses or not and where they are located. I rode my GS from North Carolina to Texas and back and did not need any spares. I have ridden all over France, Germany, Belgium and Austria and did not need spares. I did need to replace a tyre on my Texas trip and that was done by BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge. They also had the parts for the warranty recall that I was waiting for (for several months) and they completed that work at the same time. They were very accommodating. I always carry a small toolkit in addition to the screwdriver that lives under the rear seat so that if anything were ever to come loose, I have the tools needed to rectify that, but I do not carry a complete toolkit to tackle every job. So far, I have only needed the tools once when the gear shift pedal came loose and I was able to nip up the bolt. It is a good plan to have, and not need, rather than need and not have. Tools do take up space and weight but you can put together a basic kit that is in a small package (for peace of mind more than anything else) but unless you are are traveling around the world or are in some remote area you really do not need a “spares” kit with air filters and plugs and so on, but do consider taking a puncture repair kit and a few small tools (which might come in handy). As mentioned by others: water is about the best spare you will need. I also take paper maps (in case the GPS dies) and a list of dealers in case I do have a mishap. Also, have some sort of towing coverage for the worst case scenario and at least you can get somewhere to have repairs completed if needed. Regular servicing is worth doing and consider the tyre life or you will need to replace them while you are on your trip (which is what I had to do, but it was a planned event). Before undertaking a long trip, make sure your service history is up to date so the fluid levels are all correct and you have plenty of brake pad life, etc., and consider making a shorter “shake down” ride before the “big trip” just to make sure nothing is loose before you set off.
Jim Nazium likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-Jun-2019, 03:04 PM (836)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
If this is your first long trip, make sure you know how and where to use the emergency key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode