Important spares on a long trip? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-Jun-2019, 04:17 PM (887) Thread Starter

Important spares on a long trip?

Hi all, new to the board here. Just got a 2016 GS. I'm planning a coast-to-coast trip later this summer, and I'm just wondering, are there any spare parts I could bring along that would save me a headache if they fail in the middle of nowhere? Beside the obvious - fuses, tire plugger, zip ties & duct tape, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-Jun-2019, 04:33 PM (898)

Half the luggage and twice the money!!!!!
mikec, Southpaw, gsa_guy and 3 others like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-Jun-2019, 07:26 PM (018)

Garage
There are plenty of dealers along the way. I wouldn't lug a bunch of spare parts you can get on the road.
IMHO.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-Jun-2019, 06:27 PM (977)
Riding a 2009 R1200gs

Garage
Unless you have added some electrical accessories, there are no fuses on recent BMW's (even on my old 2019, all is controlled by the 'computer' which cut the power on a circuit in case of short circuit or overload)

If you have aux lighting, heated clothing, then carry 2 spares of each fuses.

If you don't have LED or HID headlight, a spare bulb is nice to have.

Having your spare key hidden somewhere (in your jacket, not locked in your cases) can save the day.

Proud owner of a 2009 R1200GS....
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2019, 05:59 AM (457)

Not all spark plug sockets will work on a GS engine. Has to be thin-walled to avoid binding and seizing.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2019, 07:40 AM (528)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Maybe it sounds a bit pedantic, but rather than carrying "stuff" (that you'll likely not need) I would recommend having the bike's servicing completely up to date and not thinking you'll do it on the way. Even better is if you do it yourself to know the bike. You will then be able to see things that might mean a trip to the dealer before you leave, or a post here for advice.

The services, esp the 6k one, is easy. The 12k one is a bit more complex with changing the air filter and checking valve clearances, but very worthwhile to do...and don't be afraid of doing the service early. Make sure the bike is up to date on brake fluid flush, a 16 would likely have 2 by this time, initial and after 2 years.

Re tires...for me trickier, because I like to get maximum safe mileage out of them and that means close to the wear bars...I have changed them, at a dealer, along the way. If you prepare ahead for that it's cheaper, but logistically harder, usually takes half a day from your ride. Some dealers will fit you in immediately, others will not ( I have had good luck with Eurosports in Salem Va and Iowa City BMW, those places may be on your way, Sandia BMW motorcycles in ABQ and Santa fe are top notch also, and I like the peeps at the Transportation Revolution here in New Orleans).

So, I am facing a rear that has 1000+ miles left on it (I think) and a front in decent shape, do I change before I leave or along the way...the jury is out on that right now.

I don't take "spares" of anything, but do take the aforementioned things like the zip ties--including some stainless steel ones--duct tape, rubbing alcohol, instructions for my Sena, tire plugging, CO2 carts and a pump. I have the owners manual as a pdf on my phone.

WATER is probably your most important "spare" if you are crossing the US in the summer
GrayBeard, Rydefree and Niks like this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2019, 12:20 PM (722)

Garage
Tire plug kit, compressor, tape, rope, hex multi tool, gerber multi tool, pocket full of money and a credit card with a high limit (just in case of course).
Have fun and don't worry about breaking down.

2013 R1200GSA
2014 K1600GT
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2019, 06:13 PM (967)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Not all spark plug sockets will work on a GS engine. Has to be thin-walled to avoid binding and seizing.
Is there one you recommend that fits that description? 18 GSA in particular.

Black 2018 R1200GS Adventure, Yes Nav VI, no TFT.
Still have Harley, but it's quite lonely now...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2019, 06:26 PM (976) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20-100 View Post
Unless you have added some electrical accessories, there are no fuses on recent BMW's

Told you I was a noob
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2019, 10:33 PM (148)

Always start with a fresh set of tires on any trip over 1000 miles. I've had to break of from a group a couple times thinking my tires would make the trip!
Ryno23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode