Pain in right shoulder - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-Jun-2019, 05:27 AM (435)

I experience that same pain now and again, and like one of the previous posters, my 47 year old body has been through the wringer! I know it doesn't seem to help everybody, but occasional visits to my chiropractor have helped me tremendously!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-Jun-2019, 06:29 AM (478)

It's related to the neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19447 View Post
I just returned from a long cross country ride and after multiple long days in the saddle I started having a sharp on in the right shoulder and upper back. Iím guessing from the handlebar positioning. Any one experienced similar issues and any suggestions? Thanks
Yeah, me too. I'm pretty sure it's related to the neck. I'm 77-years old. I think it's having the wind buffeting the helmet and the subtle tensing of the neck muscles which are tied into the shoulder muscles. (That's what my doctor says.) The pain is really, really sharp; like a burning sensation. Yeah? Try just letting your shoulders sag down. (Unconsciously, I find that I tense my shoulders upward.) Also, rotate your head around by twisting the neck. Especially, twisting it down and back. Yeah, I know, it doesn't work for me either. I figure it's just old age.
Southpaw likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 16-Jun-2019, 07:29 PM (020)
mymotovation

I literally feel your pain. I ride my GS everyday. This knife like pain in my right shoulder, is actually poor posture when I ride for extended periods. 2plus hours. My straight back is no longer straight and my shoulders pitch forward. After struggling for several hours New Hampshire to the MOA rally in Tennessee and back. I finally realized what I wasn’t doing. Practicing good posture on the bike. It’s a struggle to remember shoulders back and back straight. Once I started forcing myself to ride with good posture, the pain went away and didn’t return until I started to get lazy again. Try it... back straight and shoulders back. You may need to stretch your chest to achieve good results. To stretch your chest use a door way. Arms up to the sides of the door. Do several of those. Remember to breathe. Exhale on exertion. Good luck.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2019, 09:58 AM (623)

I've got about 500 miles on my Wanderlich 40 mm risers and they seem to really help with the sitting up and relief on the shoulders part. Everyone's torso and arms are kind of different, but they work for me. It takes a little fooling around to get the bars rotated to the right height. AND, the bolts with the thin heads go in the handlebar indentions; won't work with any others... Installation instructions are rather terse.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2019, 02:12 PM (800)

Quote:
I just returned from a long cross country ride and after multiple long days in the saddle I started having a sharp on in the right shoulder and upper back. Iím guessing from the handlebar positioning. Any one experienced similar issues and any suggestions? Thanks
Are you a shooting man? I found that when using a 12 bore shotgun my right shoulder would hurt. Then someone told me that I was holding the gun the wrong way round!!!!!!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 06:41 PM (987)

Same pain - upper right back although it does tend to move around a bit. I actually removed my SW Motech risers leaving the bars in stock position. Thought I had it licked but then found I developed a crushing cramp in my right wrist/hand that was worse than the back pain. 8hr ride yesterday and my wrist is still hurting. Too much traffic to use cruise control. So, I've ordered Rox risers hoping the additional adjustability will get me to a sweet spot. BTW, have concentrated on relaxing my shoulders and practicing good posture but sadly, that did not work for me.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 09:13 PM (092)

I have installed Rox Risers, but also there is a pain in a shoulder. May be posture is a key.

R 1200 GS '06
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 27-Jun-2019, 09:00 AM (583)

Quote:
I get a dull ache in my left shoulder during a long day in the saddle on my 2017 GSA...
The exact same thing happens when I'm many many hours on my 2006 Goldwing which Ive
had since new.

My theory......Lack of blood flow...So I rotate my arm around when safe to do so...
Helps a bit.

Soon as I get off for a breather stop.....it rapidly fades away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode