2015 or 2017 GS? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By enzo5000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 07:32 AM (522) Thread Starter

2015 or 2017 GS?

Hello,

I’m new to this site and I’m looking to buy my first GS. 2 months ago I test rode the new 1250 GS and absolutely love it. I currently ride a 2012 vstrom 650, great bike but seems lacking in the power dept.

As much as I’d love to buy a new 1250 GS I can’t really justify the expense at this time. So I’m considering a 2017 exclusive with approx. 600 miles on it with an Akro slip on as the only farkle and a 2015 with just over 1,500 miles with crash bars, Vario side cases and Garmin V. The exclusive has dynamic ESA, dynamic abs and hill start assist whereas the 15’ std does not. Are these features nice to have or really useful? The akro slip on sounds nice but like the std muffler just as well. Both have keyless start. Other than styling differences are there mechanical improvements with the newer model that justifies a $3k difference in price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 07:56 AM (538)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJoe View Post
Hello,

Iím new to this site and Iím looking to buy my first GS. 2 months ago I test rode the new 1250 GS and absolutely love it. I currently ride a 2012 vstrom 650, great bike but seems lacking in the power dept.

As much as Iíd love to buy a new 1250 GS I canít really justify the expense at this time. So Iím considering a 2017 exclusive with approx. 600 miles on it with an Akro slip on as the only farkle and a 2015 with just over 1,500 miles with crash bars, Vario side cases and Garmin V. The exclusive has dynamic ESA, dynamic abs and hill start assist whereas the 15í std does not. Are these features nice to have or really useful? The akro slip on sounds nice but like the std muffler just as well. Both have keyless start. Other than styling differences are there mechanical improvements with the newer model that justifies a $3k difference in price?
I'd go for more bang for your buck. The previous owner bought everything you need. Getting that stuff new is going to cost you. I'm sure shift-cam and a electronic display is nice but other than that why?

I have a 2017, I had to pay for Hill Start assist and rarely use it. For me it takes getting used to and being competant at clutch and throttle control is more important than a "feature." I had one situation where I thought it would help having it, so I got it. Haven't really used it.

Some folks here talk about updates for the E-display. Do you really want to deal with pairing issues and updates? Is it that important to have it? There are a lot of great used bikes at a much better price because some people want "latest and greatest. I'd bet the shift-cam is nice.

The only reason I bought new is because I couldn't find a used GS anywhere at the time. The ones I did see sold quickly. I think the display addition and the later shift-cam created a large amount of New Tech chasers who traded in or sold to get something "shiny."

Let someone take the depreciation hit and buy a 1250 in 3-4 years used.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 08:24 AM (558)

There was some transmission improvements on the 2017 models making shifting smoother and the gear box tougher.

"Munich. Model year 2017 will see a number of model facelift measures. The models can be ordered from all BMW Motorrad dealers in the new configuration from August 2016.

Technical changes to the liquid-cooled boxer models.

When the new model year starts in August 2016, the engines of the liquid-cooled boxer models will be subject to supplementary technical changes as well as the application of EU4 measures and the addition of sidelights as required by law.

Like the R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing. An OBD indicator lamp in the cockpit has been added to meet EU4 requirements."
julit0 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 11:16 AM (677) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo5000 View Post
There was some transmission improvements on the 2017 models making shifting smoother and the gear box tougher.

Like the R 1200 GS Adventure, all liquid-cooled boxer models will now be fitted with a judder damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing. An OBD indicator lamp in the cockpit has been added to meet EU4 requirements."

Those sound like some important transmission improvements.

I havenít test ridden the 2015 GS yet to see the difference. Itís a 2 hr ride for me to see it. My dilemma is to save money and get some nice extra bits or spend more for the improved technology.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2019, 11:27 AM (685) Thread Starter

Jaxon,

I agree. The are those chasing the latest tech. I missed out on a 17í Rallye edition because I wasnít ready to buy and the seller had other offers.

The 1250 is nice but going from a 650 to a 1200 is already a nice upgrade for me. The new TFT display is very cool but not sure itís worth thousands more to get one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 02:51 AM (327)

Send a message via Skype™ to nikolasvel
I wouldn't get so hang up on the year changes and updates. All manufacturers make subtle changes to their bikes over the years.

Overall, the R1200GS "wethead" is a great motorcycle and a huge improvement over your V-strom.

Trust me I had a V-strom as well. They are truly day and night.

I chose a model with ESA, because it mattered to me. I think it's one of the best features on the bike along with the excellent brakes and powerful engine that make it stand out from others.

I think you will find if you research a little that most GS sold in the US come standard with ESA and I think there is a reason for that.

It is truly amazing to be able to adjust your riding comfort level or style while riding down the highway or not having to have a buddy help you set your static sag any more, because the bike levels itself out for you.

My advice is buy a model with ESA and ride the heck out of it. If the $3k difference sounds like a lot then you might want to extend your search range or wait for a better deal to come around.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 05:08 AM (422)

If the 2015 GS has also ESA (first generation), I would go for this one.

I've had the 2013, the 2015 and (briefly) the 2017 R1200GS LC....

The 2015 was the best of the lot and I regret having sold it for the actual R1250GS I own now.

The 2017 was a lemon and I had it exchanged after a mere 2 months.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2019, 06:00 AM (458)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Whichever bike you buy, be sure to get some kind of extended warranty on it. The '15 is out of warranty (at least the original 3 year warranty), and the '17, if not out already, will be out very soon... and neither bike has had anywhere near enough miles put on it to assure that any defective parts have shown themselves and been replaced.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode