• 2 Post By enzo5000
  • 2 Post By Sundodger
  • 1 Post By Kam
  • 1 Post By Sundodger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 02:54 PM (829) Thread Starter
Maj

Keyless ride..

2018 GSA with keyless ride..I keep the key fob in my jacket pocket..Am I correct in assuming that if I am in a gas station and look out and see some morron on my bike I should keep my distance.. As In if I approach they could fire it up and be gone..

Your actions speak so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
R.W.Emmerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 03:09 PM (839)
Super Awesom Person

Crap.. I never thought of that.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 03:20 PM (847)

Toss the key to the cashier, run out to the bike and then confront the perp.
Maj and Joe Bar like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 06:25 PM (975)

Wouldn't work with my bike. I have to be just about touching it for the keyless to work. Put a new battery in the fob yesterday and still had to get the key out of my pocket and hold it over the seat before it would unlock last night.

I figure that the only way anyone could steal my bike was if I was sitting on the pillion seat!!
dkgruv123 and Joe Bar like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 06:48 PM (992)
Kam

Just ran to bike to test my range. New-ish batteries, no further than the pillion. After that, no detect.

Another hack is that 2 people work together, one near target RF relay. The other person is next to bike with the receiving end of the RF relay. Think of "extension cord". The vehicle knows nothing other than the key fob is there. Bad Guy starts vehicle, and at that point, as long as they don't turn off, they're good!

Boooooo...

Kam
Maj likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 06:49 PM (992)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
Wouldn't work with my bike. I have to be just about touching it for the keyless to work. Put a new battery in the fob yesterday and still had to get the key out of my pocket and hold it over the seat before it would unlock last night.

I figure that the only way anyone could steal my bike was if I was sitting on the pillion seat!!
This ... the specified range on the fob is ~1 metre.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2019, 09:36 PM (108)

Range 1 metre, I wish!! I can be sitting on my bike with the key in my pocket and it doesn't work occasionally. I'm definitely not wearing clothing with an RF shield unless Goretex has that ability

There was an incident reported in the Adelaide CBD recently where people in one small location with keyless ignition couldn't lock/unlock or start their cars. I don't think they ever worked out what was causing the problem, everything from traffic signal work to data cabling installation was blamed. Technology is wonderful, until it ceases to work.
fdbm17 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-Jul-2019, 06:37 PM (984)

Someone sitting on the bike? Why worry about the fob? Call the cops, then go and knock the guy off the bike!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-Jul-2019, 06:42 PM (987)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
Range 1 metre, I wish!! I can be sitting on my bike with the key in my pocket and it doesn't work occasionally. I'm definitely not wearing clothing with an RF shield unless Goretex has that ability

There was an incident reported in the Adelaide CBD recently where people in one small location with keyless ignition couldn't lock/unlock or start their cars. I don't think they ever worked out what was causing the problem, everything from traffic signal work to data cabling installation was blamed. Technology is wonderful, until it ceases to work.
Was in Musgrave Harbour, Newfoundland last summer. Got off the bike to take a picture. Literally just got off the bike, left it running, and turned 180 degrees on the spot. When I turned back the warning light was lit (for key out of range). Turned off right away which freaked me out actually b/c I'd never seen the warning light on before. ~2,600kms from home and 'somethings up'!

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode