How to wake up RDC - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2019, 06:18 AM (471) Thread Starter

Garage
How to wake up RDC

Hello everyone

I have searched high and low and cannot find an answer to my question so my last chance is here.

My question is this, if I get a puncture or low tyre for any reason, is there a way to wake up the RDC to set my tyre pressure. The reason is my compressor does not have a gauge and the onboard RDC would be a very convenient way to do it.

My bike is a 2014 GSA

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2019, 06:47 AM (491)

The tire pressure monitoring system on the bike isn't designed to be used in that manner. It does not show actual tire pressure but rather a temperature compensated number based upon a reference temperature. Best to think of the system as a flat warning system rather than a way to set tire pressures. Is there some reason you don't just carry a simple tire gauge with you in your flat repair kit?

Regardless, the only way I know of to "wake up" the display is for the bike to be on and moving for some short distance. If you're really committed to not carrying a tire gauge (or want a way to do this without one) then I'd probably shoot some air in the tire until it looked and felt close; ride the bike around the parking lot to wake up the RDC; then adjust it from there. Just remember, there will almost always be a difference in what this display shows vs the actual pressure in the tires. Your rider's manual has a description of all this in the Technology section.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2019, 08:31 AM (563) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks GrayBeard

I can easily carry a gauge with me, just thought as there was already a gauge on the dash its nice and easy to turn the compressor on, watch for the correct PSI on the screen then turn it off, however I didn't know that is how it worked, and I must say I have seen a difference in what it shows and what a manual gauge reads.

Thanks, looks like I'm back to the old school method.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2019, 04:21 PM (890)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
would they come on if on the center stand, ignition on and spin the wheel? I would think the rear would certainly come on if on the centerstand and the bike is in first.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Jul-2019, 02:03 AM (294)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
Its easy on my 2010

On my 2010 it is easy.
With the TPS on the display after coming to rest, i stop the bike with kill switch, the tps stays live while the ignition is on.
I usually check my pressures with a calibrated digital gauge at the same time, and i usually have a 3psi difference. The bike reading higher.

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 83000 km and going as good as new.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 20-Jul-2019, 03:48 PM (866) Thread Starter

Garage
Its ok guys I think I will just get a gauge.

I hove found that a certain pressure change seems to activate them but can't find anything official, I just know the other day when I let some air out (about 10psi) and then put the pump on the RDC showed up after a few seconds of inflating.

To be honest this all came about after my front tyre had a slow leak on a trip and would end up completely flat overnight, I couldn't fix it at the time so just inflated it in the mornings, this of course meant I couldn't ride it to wake up the RDC.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 22-Jul-2019, 09:39 PM (110)

Garage
Waking (From GS-911 Guidance)

Here is what the GS-911 support says about how to manually wake up the sensors:

“Option 3: waking a sensor manually (does not always work!)

As the sensors are still active for a while before going to sleep, your first thought would be to take the bike for a short ride, thus waking the sensors and allowing you to learn a sensor.. This however is NOT THE RIGHT WAY!! This will wake both sensors and when you instruct your RDC unit to learn a specific position, e.g. front wheel, Set A, the control unit will be receiving signals from both active TPM sensors and might not learn the right one, or any for that matter...

THE CORRECT ALTERNATIVE, also known as the "ALERT method" is to let the air out of the wheel rapidly (we simply depress the valve for around 10 seconds)... this rapid fall in pressure wakes the sensor and places it in an Alert mode, where it starts sending its data (which obviously includes its Sensor ID!).

Thus, to summarize, if you do not have a RDC wake-up tool, either enter the new Sensor ID manually in the Advance section (this of course assumes you noted the Sensor ID before refitting the wheel ;-) ), or when the GS-911 application asks you to use the wake-up tool, simply depress the valve of the tire that you want to wake for around 10 seconds, which will in turn wake the sensor in an Alert mode where it then sends its Sensor ID and pressure information....”

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...procedures/rdc

I guess - in doing that wake procedure, you will never get the actual pressure in the tire or know when you have it set where you want it - unless you do a massive overshoot on inflation first. I do carry a gage with me. Easy day.

Last edited by julit0; 22-Jul-2019 at 09:42 PM (112).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 11:32 AM (688)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julit0 View Post
Here is what the GS-911 support says about how to manually wake up the sensors:

“Option 3: waking a sensor manually (does not always work!)

As the sensors are still active for a while before going to sleep, your first thought would be to take the bike for a short ride, thus waking the sensors and allowing you to learn a sensor.. This however is NOT THE RIGHT WAY!! This will wake both sensors and when you instruct your RDC unit to learn a specific position, e.g. front wheel, Set A, the control unit will be receiving signals from both active TPM sensors and might not learn the right one, or any for that matter...

THE CORRECT ALTERNATIVE, also known as the "ALERT method" is to let the air out of the wheel rapidly (we simply depress the valve for around 10 seconds)... this rapid fall in pressure wakes the sensor and places it in an Alert mode, where it starts sending its data (which obviously includes its Sensor ID!).

Thus, to summarize, if you do not have a RDC wake-up tool, either enter the new Sensor ID manually in the Advance section (this of course assumes you noted the Sensor ID before refitting the wheel ;-) ), or when the GS-911 application asks you to use the wake-up tool, simply depress the valve of the tire that you want to wake for around 10 seconds, which will in turn wake the sensor in an Alert mode where it then sends its Sensor ID and pressure information....”

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...procedures/rdc

I guess - in doing that wake procedure, you will never get the actual pressure in the tire or know when you have it set where you want it - unless you do a massive overshoot on inflation first. I do carry a gage with me. Easy day.
That technique doesn't work for everyone for some reason. Won't work on my 2017 GSA no matter what. But this tool VxDAS, EL-50448, OEC-T5 ( I think it is for GM products) works great. Learned about it on another forum.

2017 BMW GS Adventure Triple Black
Going to war without France is like going hunting without bagpipes, you just leave a lot of noisy useless baggage at home.

Last edited by 60Aviator; 23-Jul-2019 at 11:32 AM (689). Reason: Word change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode