New to BMW - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziMx14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-Jul-2019, 05:42 PM (946) Thread Starter

Garage
New to BMW

Hello all...After 47 years of riding I just acquired my first BMW a 2010 GS with only 20500 miles. It looks like the day it rolled off the floor. Anyway having never owned one I wanted to pick your brains for anything I should look out for or be aware of. So far I've replaced the plugs which to my surprise they were pretty well worn, changed oil and filter and checked valve clearances which were in spec. I'm getting ready to go on a 3000 mile trip next month and I think I've got it sorted. Any suggestions thoughts are appreciated...Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2019, 02:51 PM (827)

Garage
Welcome!

You might want to look at brake fluid. PM includes flushing the brake lines and control module so on a 9 year old bike this may not have been done for some time. There are a number of good videos online that walk you through the process if you are mechanically inclined or if not, pay dealer a couple of hundy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2019, 02:58 PM (832) Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks ..I thought of that because I have no way of knowing if it's been done. Looks pretty clean but?? I have a Mighty Vac so I'll ck out some video's. Never had a bike with ABS.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2019, 04:48 PM (908)

Check that there is no oil coming out of the drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing.

When I had my 2012 oilhead, during a service my dealer found oil coming out of said drain hole. They split the bike and found a lot of oil within the bell housing. They weren't sure whether it was coming from the gearbox or the shaft drive so they replaced both oil seals PLUS the clutch plate.

A very big job but fortunately covered under warranty.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2019, 07:54 AM (537)

Whenever I get a new to me bike no matter what or how recently the seller did maintenance I do the following. I've had a lot of Guzzi's so I'm looking at his a s shaft drive bike point of view

Oil/filter change
Trans.rear drive change
Flush and bleed the brakes
Clean check and lube the driveline splines
Inspect The u-joint
Check the brake pads. This includes cleaning the pistons with a toothbrush and brake cleaner
Check wheel bearings
Good cleaning and general check of fasteners
Also look really hard at any aftermarket wiring pigtails and or accessoires. An overwhelming amount of the time I find some dodgy wiring that needs tidied up.

I like to do the above as it give me the opportunity to go over and get to know the bike. I also know exactly what products were used and exactly at what mileage.
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2019, 09:50 AM (618) Thread Starter

Garage
I do know for sure that there are no leaks or signs of seepage at all except for a little bit around the valve covers. I had those off to ck the valves and cleaned the seals and retorqued using the same ones. I'll keep an eye on that. I also know that the diff and trans fluids were changed at 17K so that should be good.I also changed the brake fluid yesterday which was a straight forward job. Mighty Vac helps. I wouldn't think that wheel bearings would be hurt at 20K and when I had it on the center stand I checked for free play or any noise. Seemed fine. Bike shows no sign of any off road use. I'll read up on the shaft maintenance. I've owned 5 Guzzis over the years. Still have 2. Those are pretty basic compared to this. I appreciate the feed back..Helps
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-Jul-2019, 01:01 PM (750)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motogutz View Post
I do know for sure that there are no leaks or signs of seepage at all except for a little bit around the valve covers. I had those off to ck the valves and cleaned the seals and retorqued using the same ones. I'll keep an eye on that. I also know that the diff and trans fluids were changed at 17K so that should be good.I also changed the brake fluid yesterday which was a straight forward job. Mighty Vac helps. I wouldn't think that wheel bearings would be hurt at 20K and when I had it on the center stand I checked for free play or any noise. Seemed fine. Bike shows no sign of any off road use. I'll read up on the shaft maintenance. I've owned 5 Guzzis over the years. Still have 2. Those are pretty basic compared to this. I appreciate the feed back..Helps
I personally don't feel theat changing fluids and drive line care from Loop/Tonti Guzzi's is not a whole lot different on the Hexhead BMW's.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 26-Jul-2019, 10:08 PM (130)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
be aware of the fuel strip issue, google it if you don't know. The 10 had a fuel strip, right?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2019, 10:35 AM (649) Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I had no idea what a "fuel Strip " was. I just Googled it. My gauge is working as is the range indicator but right now it says 19 miles til empty and I've gone 162 miles on the tank. I believe the tank holds 5.3 gal with 1.1 reserve according to the owners manual. The fuel warning came on 40 miles ago! I just chalked it up to the programming being conservative. At 42.2 MPG which is what it says it's getting, I should have at least 225 miles range with 25 to spare. And...what was wrong with a float? Thanks for making me aware of that. At least if the gauge goes kaput I'll know where to look.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 31-Jul-2019, 06:11 PM (966)

New to BMW

After you get your "new" GS serviced, you might focus on finding the right saddle, windshield, and comfort farkles for your 3000 mile trip. I bought a pre-owned 2011 GS and had to change out both the stock seat and windshield.

Also, I think your GS has a the "float" type fuel level mechanism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode