What would you do? Stay with Tiger or move to GS? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-Jul-2019, 02:09 PM (798) Thread Starter

What would you do? Stay with Tiger or move to GS?

Hi all. I'm currently on a '16 Tiger 800 XCa. Mostly love the bike and the triple. However, I don't ride it much, mostly because it's just a bit too tall and top heavy for me to be comfortable, and slow-speed maneuvering in 1st gear is difficult.

I happened to be at my BMW / Triumph dealer yesterday and was talking with the salesman as I was browsing at the new F850GSA. He told me to get on it. I was amazed, it was even taller and more top heavy and unwieldy than my Tiger. He then told me to sit on the 1200GS and I told him I wasn't comfortable with the big size of the 1200GS. He told me to sit on my bike, then sit on the F850GSA, then sit on a 1250GS. I was amazed how much more manageable the big bike felt. The lower center of gravity, more of my feet touching the ground... Anyway, after that, I identified a used '17 R1200GS Rally that has 11K miles and some nice upgrades. I haven't ridden it yet, but plan to.

I never thought the Triumph would be my forever bike, I always thought a GS might be something I would progress into once I got more comfortable riding. Hanging out on the Triumph forums last few years, all I read is previous BMW GS riders who had converted over to the Tiger 800 and how they loved the Tiger.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts from any of you who have made switch from Tiger 800 over to a late model R1200GS.

My main goals for considering the switch would be:
-- More confidence and comfort in handling the bike, especially at parking lot speeds and maneuvers
-- Would love to have more confidence to try some off-road riding...don't feel confident on the Tiger
-- Desire to use the bike to commute a couple days a week (currently, I ride the tiger once every 3-4 months)
-- Still want supreme touring comfort as I plan to continue doing 1-2 multi-day cross-country trips a year
-- Having a bike I'll be satisfied with for 4-6 years without feeling the need to trade up
-- Not wanting to lose my shorts on the deal!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-Jul-2019, 03:02 PM (835)
66 years old and still 16

Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantADV View Post
Hi all. I'm currently on a '16 Tiger 800 XCa. Mostly love the bike and the triple. However, I don't ride it much, mostly because it's just a bit too tall and top heavy for me to be comfortable, and slow-speed maneuvering in 1st gear is difficult.

I happened to be at my BMW / Triumph dealer yesterday and was talking with the salesman as I was browsing at the new F850GSA. He told me to get on it. I was amazed, it was even taller and more top heavy and unwieldy than my Tiger. He then told me to sit on the 1200GS and I told him I wasn't comfortable with the big size of the 1200GS. He told me to sit on my bike, then sit on the F850GSA, then sit on a 1250GS. I was amazed how much more manageable the big bike felt. The lower center of gravity, more of my feet touching the ground... Anyway, after that, I identified a used '17 R1200GS Rally that has 11K miles and some nice upgrades. I haven't ridden it yet, but plan to.

I never thought the Triumph would be my forever bike, I always thought a GS might be something I would progress into once I got more comfortable riding. Hanging out on the Triumph forums last few years, all I read is previous BMW GS riders who had converted over to the Tiger 800 and how they loved the Tiger.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts from any of you who have made switch from Tiger 800 over to a late model R1200GS.

-- More confidence and comfort in handling the bike, especially at parking lot speeds and maneuvers
-- Would love to have more confidence to try some off-road riding...don't feel confident on the Tiger
-- Desire to use the bike to commute a couple days a week (currently, I ride the tiger once every 3-4 months)
-- Still want supreme touring comfort as I plan to continue doing 1-2 multi-day cross-country trips a year
-- Having a bike I'll be satisfied with for 4-6 years without feeling the need to trade up
I have ridden the Triumph tiger 800 and now own a factory lowered R1250GS ,
There is nothing that would tempt me to a tiger, the GS is far easier to balance and is so maneuverable, is far better on motorways, has far more spec. Servicing here is cheaper with the BMW

Ged
Old 26-Jul-2019, 05:14 PM (926)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantADV View Post

Went from a 2015 Tiger XCX ( Similar to yours except no heated seats) to a 2018 1200 GSA, these bikes are pole apart. BMW is way ahead of it.....but would also depend what roads you ride. Actually the bemmer is more nimble than the Tiger

Old 27-Jul-2019, 12:15 AM (218)

I have a lady friend that bought a Triumph Tiger 800 and dropped another $2000 in farkles and now owns a BMW 1250GS lowered!
Old 28-Jul-2019, 01:36 AM (275)

I'm new around here (been on the R1200R forum for a short while though) but here's my two South Pacific pesos worth anyway. I hope it helps.

I'm 5' 6" on a good day, 28" inseam. Rode a demo Tiger 800 XRT and fell in love with it, so much so that I bought that actual bike back in Mar 2018. Absolutely loved everthing about it and, with 820 mm seat height, I thought I had finally found my motorcycling Nirvana. It was meant to be my last bike... (yeah right!)

But... while not actually an R1200GS per se, I was at a dealer buying a Tiger oil filter and was introduced to a mint 6k kms MY16 white/red R1200R wet head. I was simply amazed at how nimble it was and 'light on its feet'. It actually felt lighter than the Tiger (which it isn't) - even pushing it around. And with the 790 mm seat height, it well and truly ticked a very important box for me.

I had always lusted after a BMW R1200 (something), but had always felt they were a) too $$pendy for my limited budget and b) way too big and ungainly for a shorty like me with 'ducks disease' (ie; me bum's too close to the ground).

I was very wrong on both counts and the R1200R now happily graces my garage. I have not been happier. Now just need to get out there and ride it more...

So to answer your question - IMHO I think you should. But YMMV.
Old 28-Jul-2019, 05:47 AM (449)

Obviously being a BMW R1200GS forum we recommend that you get a Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin!!!!!
Rick92040 likes this.
Old 30-Jul-2019, 03:06 AM (337)

Only thing I'll say is no 500+lb bike is not comfortable off road. I didn't like taking my 340lb DR650 off road because it was too heavy. Add an additional 150 to 200lbs and it becomes miserable.

Now if off roading means to you what it means to 90% of the off roaders, groomed stone fire break roads you'll be fine. When the single tracks starts turn around.
IWantADV likes this.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM (409)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Only thing I'll say is no 500+lb bike is not comfortable off road. I didn't like taking my 340lb DR650 off road because it was too heavy. Add an additional 150 to 200lbs and it becomes miserable.

Now if off roading means to you what it means to 90% of the off roaders, groomed stone fire break roads you'll be fine. When the single tracks starts turn around.
^^ Yea this ^^ The 1200 will do gnarly trail to a point but you better be in shape. An hour of wrestling down mildly challenging trail and I'm beggin for some smooth fast stuff to air out. That said, my GS is the best "All rounder" I've ever ridden. It is my last bike per say. I will have a trail bike for serious off road. Plus a rocket for some knee draggin but the GS is the best every day ride.
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM (547) Thread Starter

Well, I pulled the trigger on that used '17 Rallye. I fell in love with the styling and design of the bike, plus all the tech/rider/safety features. But what sealed it for me is I convinced myself that based on sitting on the bike in the showroom and a short 5 minute test ride, that the GS would be easier to manage day-to-day, in-town traffic. Told myself that with this lower center of gravity that I would feel more confident than on the Tiger.

Well, the ride home through city traffic with some inclined stops at lights and I was completely white knuckle. Not sure if I'm having serious buyer'r remorse, or if it will just take some time to get used to the different bike. But it felt so much more difficult to handle than the Tiger 800 XCa.

Additionally, the throttle / engine / shifting doesn't seem to be nearly as seamless, smooth, easy as the Tiger. This thing feels much more industrial / tractor like.

Again, love the looks and features of this bike, but questioning whether or not I made the right decision.

Oh, and I dumped it in the dealer's parking lot pulling in after the test ride. Engine guards - 1, Chris' foot - 0
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM (605)

If you think the transmission is tractor like on a GS you need to ride an 70's era Guzzi. They are down right agricultural but that just part of the experience.

You're used to transmission on the Tiger which is more refined and way different than the GS. They are more like the short throw transmission on the Asian big 4 offerings where you can snick up through the gears with little effort or dedication. The GS has a longer throw and the dry clutch will make it feel grabby and a bit clunky. This is something that a few will never adjust too but most adjust to it in short order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in