Motorcycle Ramps? - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-Aug-2019, 04:49 AM (409)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
Could the condor be mounted directly to a truck bed? Is that a good idea?
No need. I've got a Linex bed liner in my truck but I would think that it would be fine even without that unless you want to put something down to protect the bed paint from the chock. It's very secure and isn't going to move once you're bike is in it and strapped down. I put the optional wings on my Condor but in hindsight, they're probably not necessary other than peace of mind.

The cradle is adjustable for different wheel sizes and it comes with instructions that suggest a setting/placement for various size front wheels. It's very easy and simple to change it but I'd second the suggestion made here about testing it out on the ground to get a feel for how to put the bike up into the chock and roll it back out. It holds my larger bikes so well that I have to be careful to not park on a slope where I'd have to pull the bike uphill out of the chock.

Speaking of slopes, flat is definitely best for unloading. You can load it on the slope no problem if you do what I do and walk beside it using the engine's power to pull the bike up the ramp while feathering the clutch. Coming back down is a different story. I put the truck/ramps on flat ground and leave the bike in first gear. With the engine off, I walk down the ramp feathering the clutch as a brake to control the speed as the bike rolls down hill off the truck. This is probably the most import tip I could give anyone on unloading aside from just taking it slow. If you rely only on the front brake to control the speed of the bike on the ramp, the front wheel can slide on it and you'll have a few exciting moments chasing your bike down the ramp whilst trying not to drop it. Parking to unload on a down hill slope is just asking for trouble in controlling the speed of unloading.

One last tip - get the Pro Taper tie down straps:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tie...gateway&sr=8-3

These are by far the best tie downs that I've ever used. They are strong and very easy to quickly get them on the bike. Instead of ratchets which can inadvertently be pulled too light, these use a friction lock that makes it easy to pull on both sides at the same time while compressing the front suspension.

I hope these tips help anyone that is new to loading their bike. Good luck!

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by GrayBeard; 05-Aug-2019 at 04:58 AM (415).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-Aug-2019, 08:04 AM (544) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
No need. I've got a Linex bed liner in my truck but I would think that it would be fine even without that unless you want to put something down to protect the bed paint from the chock. It's very secure and isn't going to move once you're bike is in it and strapped down. I put the optional wings on my Condor but in hindsight, they're probably not necessary other than peace of mind.

The cradle is adjustable for different wheel sizes and it comes with instructions that suggest a setting/placement for various size front wheels. It's very easy and simple to change it but I'd second the suggestion made here about testing it out on the ground to get a feel for how to put the bike up into the chock and roll it back out. It holds my larger bikes so well that I have to be careful to not park on a slope where I'd have to pull the bike uphill out of the chock.

Speaking of slopes, flat is definitely best for unloading. You can load it on the slope no problem if you do what I do and walk beside it using the engine's power to pull the bike up the ramp while feathering the clutch. Coming back down is a different story. I put the truck/ramps on flat ground and leave the bike in first gear. With the engine off, I walk down the ramp feathering the clutch as a brake to control the speed as the bike rolls down hill off the truck. This is probably the most import tip I could give anyone on unloading aside from just taking it slow. If you rely only on the front brake to control the speed of the bike on the ramp, the front wheel can slide on it and you'll have a few exciting moments chasing your bike down the ramp whilst trying not to drop it. Parking to unload on a down hill slope is just asking for trouble in controlling the speed of unloading.

One last tip - get the Pro Taper tie down straps:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tie...gateway&sr=8-3

These are by far the best tie downs that I've ever used. They are strong and very easy to quickly get them on the bike. Instead of ratchets which can inadvertently be pulled too light, these use a friction lock that makes it easy to pull on both sides at the same time while compressing the front suspension.

I hope these tips help anyone that is new to loading their bike. Good luck!
GrayBeard,

Thanks for all the great information.
Like the 1st gear and engine off method. Will definitely give that a try.

Ryno23.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2019, 07:55 AM (538) Thread Starter

Garage
The 10' Black Widow Ramp arrived the other day. It is a well designed and built piece, just too short.
For the last two days I have been trying every conceivable setup to make it work. I have concluded that my truck is to high and the ramp is too short.
I have attempted to drive up the ramp and walk up the ramp. After about two feet on the ramp the front end comes up so high that my feet no longer touch the ramp or the handlebars are to high. That creates an uncomfortable position and negates the use. I think getting it off the truck would be even worse.
So I ordered a 12' Black Widow Ramp last night. Should be here early next week.

Any one close to me, Northern Nevada, looking for a never used motorcycle ramp?

https://www.discountramps.com/motorc...ps/p/MF-12038/

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA

Last edited by Ryno23; 06-Aug-2019 at 08:02 AM (543).

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2019, 09:05 AM (587)

How tall is your truck? Mine is a '17 F-150 FX4 4x4 so it's a bit higher than the 2 wheel drive but it's not lifted.

If you're going to be loading/unloading by yourself you really need a solution that you're very comfortable using. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before a drop happens. With the folding 12' ramps, you'll need to think about how to secure them in the bed of the truck. Not difficult but just plan for the room on either side of your bike and a couple of straps to secure them with the tail gate down.

I have the bed extender fence and even my R1200GS fits in the Condor and allows me to close and latch that fence. It's probably more piece of mind than actually doing anything but if something broke loose, the bed extender would catch it before it departed the bed.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2019, 10:27 AM (644) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
How tall is your truck? Mine is a '17 F-150 FX4 4x4 so it's a bit higher than the 2 wheel drive but it's not lifted.

If you're going to be loading/unloading by yourself you really need a solution that you're very comfortable using. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before a drop happens. With the folding 12' ramps, you'll need to think about how to secure them in the bed of the truck. Not difficult but just plan for the room on either side of your bike and a couple of straps to secure them with the tail gate down.

I have the bed extender fence and even my R1200GS fits in the Condor and allows me to close and latch that fence. It's probably more piece of mind than actually doing anything but if something broke loose, the bed extender would catch it before it departed the bed.
I have a 2004 GMC, Sierra 2500, 4x4, lifted. Tailgate lowered is 38" from ground on level ground.
I definitely was not comfortable loading/unloading with the current setup. Want to be able to load/unload by myself if necessary.
I have plenty of straps to secure ramp in bed of truck. I think/hope the extra 2' of ramp should make loading doable.
GrayBeard likes this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2019, 02:02 PM (793)

Quote:
I have a 2004 GMC, Sierra 2500, 4x4, lifted. Tailgate lowered is 38" from ground on level ground.
I definitely was not comfortable loading/unloading with the current setup. Want to be able to load/unload by myself if necessary.
I have plenty of straps to secure ramp in bed of truck. I think/hope the extra 2' of ramp should make loading doable.
Hmmm, I wonder if a Kendon trailer wouldn't have been a better bet given the height of your bed. I'm still considering one for my use - probably a 3 rail. It was a chore to get my WR250R and my daughter's TT-R110 in the back for a recent trip to the dirt. I got 'em in there but it took some figgerin' out to get 'r done.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-Aug-2019, 03:16 PM (845)

Quote:
After about two feet on the ramp the front end comes up so high that my feet no longer touch the ramp or the handlebars are to high.

https://www.discountramps.com/motorc...ps/p/MF-12038/
If you are on a GS, have you tried taking the rider seat off and just sitting on the frame. This allows me to plant my feet the entire time up my 9ft ramp on a non-lifted F150 4x4.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2019, 07:07 AM (505) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil8dirt View Post
If you are on a GS, have you tried taking the rider seat off and just sitting on the frame. This allows me to plant my feet the entire time up my 9ft ramp on a non-lifted F150 4x4.
I have not tried that. Will give it a try today after work. I did lower the front end of my seat though and still no joy.
I was discussing my dilemma with a couple of work acquaintances and one suggested placing 2" X 6" boards along the area where my feet come up?
It sounds like a decent workaround, but I wonder how stable will it be? Maybe strap them in place?

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode