Big clunk putting LC 1200 in gear? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 08:49 AM (575) Thread Starter

Big clunk putting LC 1200 in gear?

Looking at a 2016 GS but it clunks loudly every time I put it into gear from neutral. My friends with the water cooled bikes say that their's do that as well and that it's just the BMW way. My 2006 RT did that but my 2011 GS and 2012 RT do not. I understand that the water cooled versions have a wet clutch but so did my Tenere and Gold Wing neither of which did this. I test rode a 2014 GS when they were released and decided against it partially because of that problem but mostly because of the constantly changing clutch engagement point. I had hoped that the clutch issues were resolved but I have doubts after my 50 mile test ride of this 2016. This seriously is as bad as a Harley when putting it into gear and I am doubting that I could live with this and the probably related rough shift into 2nd and 3rd gear.

Is this normal with the water cooled wet clutch 1200s? Does anyone have a water cooled 1200 that doesn't do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 09:07 AM (588)

Garage
It varies, but my 2016 R1200GS often clunks quite a bit going from N to 1. Not sure why, but sometimes it is smoother, sometimes clunkier.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 10:04 AM (628)

On the latest 1250 version they lowered the stationary RPM, so the CLUNK diminished somewhat... .

It doesn't disappear entirely though... my KAWASAKI Versys 1000 does exactly the same and I admit that I got used to it since my first LC, back in 2013... (3 GS's ago...)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 10:15 AM (635)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbm17 View Post
It varies, but my 2016 R1200GS often clunks quite a bit going from N to 1. Not sure why, but sometimes it is smoother, sometimes clunkier.
Ditto with a 2017 GSA but even when it clunks in, it isn't even a minor distraction. The gear box is what it is. I am one of those that truly love the "pro-shift" and use it most of the time. Over time I am able to shift up and down, even in first and second, smoothly but once in a while..... going up I get a jump coming out of first and sometimes second to third. Even less frequently I have to coax a downshift into first.

It is what it is....
fdbm17 likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 12:16 PM (720)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucian View Post
Ditto with a 2017 GSA but even when it clunks in, it isn't even a minor distraction. The gear box is what it is. I am one of those that truly love the "pro-shift" and use it most of the time. Over time I am able to shift up and down, even in first and second, smoothly but once in a while..... going up I get a jump coming out of first and sometimes second to third. Even less frequently I have to coax a downshift into first.

It is what it is....
+1

I also have 2017 GSA and it clunks from N to 1, even has a little bit a lurch.
My 2017 GS did the same.
I have gotten used to it.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 02:55 PM (830)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
I test rode a 2014 GS when they were released and decided against it partially because of that problem but mostly because of the constantly changing clutch engagement point. I had hoped that the clutch issues were resolved but I have doubts after my 50 mile test ride of this 2016.
Twenty thousand miles on a 2017 has never shown me clutch engagement deltas, ever. Can't speak to a Two O Sixteen. When I do use the clutch, other than finding neutral/first at a stop, I barely tap the clutch lever for a shift. I have had occasions to "feather" the clutch and it is dependable like say in U turns.

Last edited by Crucian; 22-Aug-2019 at 02:58 PM (831).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-Aug-2019, 10:30 AM (646)

going into gear lurch

The reason a wet clutch will "lurch" when shifting into gear is due to the fluid drag on the wet clutch. With a dry clutch
the air doesn't provide any drag but when the clutch is submerged in oil there is significant drag especially when the oil
is cold. Same thing with the auto transmission in your car. You know how it will creep at a stop if you don't keep a foot
on the brake. That's because there is trans fluid in the converter that "drags".

Jim
fampton and Southpaw like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-Aug-2019, 02:11 PM (799)
Super Awesom Person

Every bike I've ever owned over the last 50 years has clunked going into first.
PoppyGreg, GrayBeard and Southpaw like this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 23-Aug-2019 at 04:15 PM (885).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 29-Aug-2019, 02:57 AM (331)

Clutch engagement Point

"2014 GS when they were released and decided against it partially because of that problem but mostly because of the constantly changing clutch engagement point. I had hoped that the clutch issues were resolved but I have doubts after my 50 mile test ride of this 2016." -- I had a 2013 doing that after many mails and the workshop manager involved it was the bearing on final drive that caused the varying engagement point.

In the end traded the 2013 in and got a 2016 with no clutch issues.

So maybe test drive another one to make sure... re clunking most of my bikes did it. Triumph tiger 1200 &1050 BMW 1200. My KLR did not clunck though coming to think of it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 29-Aug-2019, 07:45 PM (031)

my 2013 clunks into gear when cold

so i engage first gear,and then start the bike

once it warms up its not an issue

russ

2013 LC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode