2010 GS Fuel Quanity - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2019, 02:16 PM (803) Thread Starter

Garage
2010 GS Fuel Quanity

Does anyone know how much fuel this bike is supposed to hold? Owners manual says 5.3 gal with 1.1 reserve. I can tell you for sure that isn't correct as I ran out at 206 miles with a full load to begin with. The bike showed that it was getting 42.4 mpg so I figured I could do 220 easy...wrong, plus I didn't trust it when at 162 it told me I had 42 miles left...didn't do that again! Anyway the most I could get in it even when it said 10 miles left was 4.8 gal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2019, 05:58 AM (457)

You'd probably have to fuel up with the bike on its center stand to get a truly full tank. There will be a small air pocket on the top right side of the tank when the bike is on its side stand.

If you're that specific, carry a 1.5L fuel bottle and just ride.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2019, 06:33 AM (481)

Recently on a trip to Labrador there is stretch of 250 miles between fuel stop.

I have a 2007 R1200GS and we rode conservatively at no more than 55 mph and gently on the throttle I made it with 13 miles of fuel left or so said the computer. If we rode normally I'd have been short my 35/40 + miles.

I don't remember how much fuel I put in exactly but it was over 19 liters.

Also on fill up I put the bike on the center stand and wiggle the bike side to side to burp the air pocket from around the filler neck. Next time I have the tank off I'm drilling a couple holes in the filler neck just below the seal so it'll self vent the air pocket.

Also don't let the owners manual fool you. You have a 5.3 aka 20L tank total. Once approximately 4.2 gallons of fuel is consumed the low fuel light will come on letting you know you have approximately 1.1 gallon of fuel left.

Now even with having a 20L tank since it is plastic it can bulge and hold more than 20L I have put in a little over 20L in and the commuter saying I still had15 miles to empty.

Last edited by PerazziMx14; 01-Sep-2019 at 06:39 AM (485).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2019, 08:26 AM (560) Thread Starter

Garage
That's what I figured. My mistake trusting the owners manual and not the bike. Ran out on the 1st leg of what ended up being a 3800 mile trip so every 180 miles I was looking for fuel. I tanked up on the side stand but from now on I'll put it on the centerstand. Range did go up as mpg increased to 45.6 mpg. Thanks much for the response.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2019, 09:59 AM (624)

My interpretation is 5.3 gallons with (including) 1.1 gallon reserve. Since there is no way of knowing when reserve starts (like the toggle switch on carbureted bikes), I set my "Trip A" meter to 0 with each fill up. If you have a Nav V or Nav VI, you can set it up so that with 1 press on the wunderwheel will show miles since fill up and range remaining. No Nav? Then you just flip thru the options using the info button on the left handlebar.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2019, 11:37 PM (192)

Garage
my '10

will consistently get 320+km to a tank (highway). DEPENDING ON RIDING CONDITIONS AND TERRAIN
*I Always fuel up on centrestand
*I always use 98 RON
*I run suspension on solo + no load soft, or solo + load soft (but it varies)
*Check tyre pressures before you ride - just me no gear 37F/40R cold maybe 38/41 1up with gear. (but it varies) I'm 105kg
*Service regularly and properly.

don't fret too much, get to know your bike and what is realistic. Ive found I get better mileage from 3500 to 5000rpm. Running revs below that is cruel and should result in public flogging...
cheers
Greg

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-Sep-2019, 09:31 AM (605) Thread Starter

Garage
Well after 3800 miles I pretty much figured the bike out. This is my first BMW in 42 years of riding. I run 34F and 37R which feels good. I'm always solo and of course on the trip loaded up. MPG increased as I went with a mix of twisties and interstate topping out at 45.6 MPG. Usually run 80-85 MPH on the slab. Premium fuel always. The bike has TFX suspension front and rear which I found easy to adjust and seems to work great. Gotta say that I was never a big fan of Beemers but this bike has changed my mind. Kinda like your favorite album...1st time you heard it it was ok but after 5 times it turned out to be your favorite. I'll put a lot of miles on this one!
PoppyGreg and Southpaw like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2019, 05:35 PM (941)

Wow

Not once have I ever concerned myself with the details of fuel efficiency. I just get fuel as needed and the world still seems to be okay. There doesnít appear to be a valid reason to know how far I can go on a tank of fuel. Either that or Iím wrong...
Southpaw likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-Sep-2019, 07:48 PM (033)

Slower (under 65 mph)= better mileage maybe 200 miles per tank.
93 octane with no ethanol = better mileage.
No severe head winds = better mileage.
Dafting semis= suicide

I ride a 2011gs
PoppyGreg likes this.

2011 GSA w/ DMC sidecar & 2011GS Camheads uber alles
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-Sep-2019, 01:28 AM (269)

I fill her up before the RESERVE warning light comes on... I don't like running the risk that the impurities/water at the bottom are sucked in the system, even if there are filters to prevent this from happening.
Not to mention the inevitable anxiety during the final kilometers before running completely empty....
Southpaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode