Intermittent Engine Failure - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maturerider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-Sep-2019, 04:11 AM (382) Thread Starter
Jezzer01

Intermittent Engine Failure

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can offer help or suggestions this problem.
Bike is 2007 R1200GS with 50,000 miles.
It has run perfectly without problem for the 4 years that I have owned it until last week when I was out for a ride and the following problems occurred.
Engine Warning light illuminated for 2 or 3 seconds with total loss of engine power, then Engine warning light went out and full power returned. This repeated 4 or 5 times over the space of a few minutes until the last occasion when the engine would not restart and I coasted to a stop. I noticed that the EWS! lamp was also illuminated. I turned the key off and back on and pressed the start button and the bike turns over very slowly like the battery is completely drained and wont start. The EWS! is still illuminated. Turned Key off and back on a few times and eventually the fault clears and the bike starts up and ran without further problem.
The next day the bike starts up fine and then exactly the same thing happens after about 10 to 15 minutes of riding. This time although EWS! is illuminated the Bike will start and run for a few seconds before spluttering to a stop but the idle speed is high. Again, after a few times of turning the key on and off the fault clears and the bike turns over and starts up perfectly.
The Bike has had a brand new battery and I have checked the EWS Ring Antenna and the FPC unit and both are of the new type and have been replaced under the recall. Also I have disconnected the EWS and the FPC with the engine running and could not produce an Engine Warning Light illumination. Unfortunately I dont have any means to read the ECU fault codes.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be the cause? Have i missed something obvious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-Sep-2019, 04:34 AM (399)

Garage
Intermittent Engine Failure

I wish I could assist on where to look. This could be an issue with your new battery. I had a similar issue one time and it was the crankshaft sensor was failing. It took over a month to find it. Since the problem is consistent, I'd bet the fault codes would pinpoint the issue(s). If you don't have access to a diagnostic tool, a visit to a dealer is what I would do.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-Sep-2019, 09:58 AM (624)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I wish I could assist on where to look. This could be an issue with your new battery. I had a similar issue one time and it was the crankshaft sensor was failing. It took over a month to find it. Since the problem is consistent, I'd bet the fault codes would pinpoint the issue(s). If you don't have access to a diagnostic tool, a visit to a dealer is what I would do.

Mike
Before I read this reply I immediately thought 'crankshaft sensor'.

I know someone who had this failure. The dealer poo pooed his diagnosis. After some considerable time the dealer eventually concurred with him and the offending sensor was replaced.

Last BMW he ever owned.
PoppyGreg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode