R1200GS Forum banner

front tire bouncing

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Kemo Sabe 
#1 ·
I tried searching but couldn't find a relevant post. I have a '18 R1200GS with ESA that I picked up new this past March. I notice that even when riding on a smooth road, the front end moves up and down rapidly (maybe 1.5 cm or so). I don't feel it through the bars and the bike feels planted. Doesn't seem to be speed, rpm or gear dependent except when on the highway at 70+ in top gear, then the movement all but goes away. I have about 4000 miles on the bike and not noticing any odd wear pattern on front (or rear) tire. So far I've chalked it up to being normal but wanted to ask if others experience the same. Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks - to answer the questions 1) yes, I observe the forks moving up and down, but at a pretty high frequency. 2) I though about the tire and having the dealer check it out. 3) I've checked my spokes and maybe there are one or two that sound a bit dull. Guess I'll have the dealer check this out as well.

#6 · (Edited)
There is a condition called tire "cupping" that could cause these symptoms.

Often times this condition is not blatantly obvious. I just changed out a set of Anakees due to this condition. Did the front first and the difference was night and day like.

Replaced with Shinko 705 s and voila, smooth as butter.

#7 ·
Just returned from a 2500 mile journey and noticed at speeds of 82 mph +, I got the same experience - came on suddenly during the journey. We had a coupe of 90 + mph runs before the "bouncing" materialized. I thought that perhaps a wheel weight had come off and that could still be the case. New Anakee Adventures with less than 1000 miles. Bike was just in for its 6000 mile service. My friends on their GSAs did not have any hopping going on.

#8 ·
I had the same thing happen on my Africa Twin after the rims were rebuilt as a warranty claim because of corroded spokes.
I initially thought that the dealer hadn't trued the rims properly but after checking I noticed that it was the tyre that wasn't running true.
The dealer turned the tyre on the rim and rebalanced the wheel which improved things but didn't entirely eliminate the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.