Is a 2018 GSA worth it over a '17.0 with all cases and Nav 6? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2019, 06:26 AM (476) Thread Starter

Is a 2018 GSA worth it over a '17.0 with all cases and Nav 6?

Dear All:

I am about to pull the trigger on my 1st GSA. After researching, I understand the difference between the 2017.0 and a 2018 (auto ESA, improved transmission, TFT screen, keyless start). But for those of you who actually have ridden both, What does this truly mean in practical terms? Do you think a 2018 with no gear (no cases or Gps) is worth pursuing over a '17 with all the cases, Nav 6? The '17.0 is $1,500 cheaper, still has the same amount of warranty left than the '18 (it was purchased in '18), 2,500 fewer miles, but does not have keyless feature, TFT screen or auto ESA. In addition, it supposes to have a less refined transmission.

I do apologize in advance if this seems to be repetitive from other people in this forum but did not find an answer to my questions.

Happy Riding!

Last edited by JLAS; 16-Sep-2019 at 07:17 AM (511).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2019, 07:08 AM (505)

Garage
IMHO: Nope.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2019, 07:11 AM (508)

What is auto GSA? Perhaps since it is automatic, I've been using it unaware...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2019, 08:17 AM (553)
Super Awesom Person

I rode a 17 for about 2 hours before I bought my 18. For me the TFT is a game changer. However that 17 sounds like nice bike. My choice was a leftover 17 at a reduced price or the 18. Your choice is a lot harder. Good luck.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2019, 09:08 AM (588)

The 2017 with all the Gear is a much better deal for a true adventure Bike.

The 2018 with the TFT is a beautiful display but is it really needed or just fluff.

I own the 2018 loaded with all the Gear if you luck out u can get one loaded for 18K there out there but rare to find.

Last see if any dealers have closeouts I had seen a few 2018 still in some showrooms at 4 to 5K off.

Ian
jaxon and JLAS like this.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 05:13 AM (425)
Reprobate

Both are good bikes. It really comes down to your set of preferences. Having ridden both, I noticed a very slight difference in the transmission; both will shift without the clutch but the '18 is a bit more seamless. The '18 had TFT which for me was not something I wanted, but that bike was a better deal so it's the one I bought. Things I like about the TFT: there's a LOT of information available and I can see my speed without glasses in spite of the glare of the sun. What I don't like about the TFT is that you have to navigate through several menus to get the data you want, and I'm not a fan of anything that distracts me. I prefer a single button that you toggle through without a thought. Part of the problem is I have several bikes. The others are all set up the same. The '18 is different and so is not as intuitive as the others. Of course if you have just one bike you get used to it and navigating through the screens quickly becomes second nature.

Keyless? Well, the verdict is out. It's convenient till it doesn't work. Sure, you can put it or the emergency key by the dongle under the rear fender to fire up the bike, but mine failed repeatedly in the first month. The dealer replaced the defective fob under warranty, but it took three weeks to get the replacement from the Mothership. That was a long time to be without a brand new bike and got me to wondering what would happen if I was on a trip a few thousand miles from home.

As for the Dynamic ESA, others have raved about it but my butt must be dead. Where I live in Northern Vermont we have one paved road and that's mostly in bad shape from the ravages of winter. I push my bikes hard and personally haven't noticed any difference between the '18 and my trusty old 2012 GSA. The GS/GSA suspension seems made for our roads.

Personally, I'd get the one that is already set up for your needs

Pete
JLAS likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 06:53 AM (495)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
I rode a 17 for about 2 hours before I bought my 18. For me the TFT is a game changer. However that 17 sounds like nice bike. My choice was a leftover 17 at a reduced price or the 18. Your choice is a lot harder. Good luck.
A real "game changer" is using a golfball to play soccer.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 07:46 AM (532)

My opinion is the bmw bags are about useless. Not only is the exhaust side case shaped funky but you can't even get a helmet in the topcase. If you want the look, go for the bags. If not, get the one without and get bags for it that will carry your stuff if you plan on using it for travel/camping/etc. Again.....my opinion. I like the option of stashing my helmet with other things in my topcase. It stays on the bike all the time.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 06:06 PM (962) Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great input, as it has helped me tremendously. It was a hard decision to make bc these bikes, as we know, are not cheap (new or used) and everyone would like a decent purchase. After going to the basics, I thought that for my kind of riding (every other weekend weather permitting), I do not need the latest model; especially, if we are talking about two good bikes. My concern was for the 2018 GSA being way superior to 2017 but after reading Pete's, Ian's, and the rest of the comments, I feel ok going either way. For me, 2017 will do just fine. I will not have a fancy display but hopefully, this absence will be diminished by the Nav 6, and compensated by the price difference, and the panniers. :-)

Happy riding!
patsrides likes this.

Last edited by JLAS; 17-Sep-2019 at 06:20 PM (972).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2019, 12:44 AM (239)

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
What is auto GSA? Perhaps since it is automatic, I've been using it unaware...
Auto ESA. Electronic suspenson adjustment is automatic depending on ride mode. You don't have to manually adjust the preload.

My YouTube Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently riding a 2019 BMW R1250GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode