Nav 6 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Unread 31-Oct-2019, 07:09 AM (506) Thread Starter

Nav 6

Just sold my 2009 and had to throw in the GPS to seal the deal. I had wanted to keep it as it fit and worked on the 2019 cradle even if it didn't work with the interface of the new bike. I'm in the market for the Nav 6 and I've seen them for 798 on Ebay and up to 1K on other sites. What have you paid and where have you bought your GPS.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide (gone):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 GSA
2019 1250 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Unread 31-Oct-2019, 01:32 PM (772)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just sold my 2009 and had to throw in the GPS to seal the deal. I had wanted to keep it as it fit and worked on the 2019 cradle even if it didn't work with the interface of the new bike. I'm in the market for the Nav 6 and I've seen them for 798 on Ebay and up to 1K on other sites. What have you paid and where have you bought your GPS.
eBay and advrider
You will find good deals
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Unread 31-Oct-2019, 01:57 PM (789)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
I got mine new from a dealership for $850 using a coupon.

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2019 R1250 GSA

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Unread 31-Oct-2019, 04:44 PM (905)

Dealer threw mine in to seal the deal on my bike. But what’s mounted is my iPhone with Google maps. The Nav 6 will become a relic when they eventually sort out the TFT.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Unread 01-Nov-2019, 05:36 AM (441)
LAS

Bob’s BMW is running a 10% off sale on most items BMW. Don’t know what his price is for the VI, but he is always competitive.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Unread 03-Nov-2019, 12:08 PM (756)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoss View Post
Dealer threw mine in to seal the deal on my bike. But what’s mounted is my iPhone with Google maps. The Nav 6 will become a relic when they eventually sort out the TFT.
I think there will always be a place for a dedicated nav. A cellphone is an acceptable solution for Point A to Point B navigation where you have good cell signal, reliable power for the phone, and a way to control a capacitive touch-screen interface (conductive gloves? glove-in-teeth? ride without gloves?). But there are places where there is no cell signal so cellphone navigation won't work - unless you have the forethought to download maps before you go. And if you want to customize your routes a little or a lot, even though you can do that in Google Maps, you can't save them, so you can't use them on your phone.

BaseCamp admittedly has a rather steep learning curve. But after I used it enough, I no longer considered it to be user-hostile but "merely" not-user-friendly. I learned this a long time ago:

• User-friendly -> easy to use (Cellphone navigation)
  • Easy to use -> simple
  • Simple - won't do what you need it to do
  • Does what you you need it to do -> powerful
  • Powerful -> hard to use (BaseCamp)

Whether there are enough people like me to sustain a market in standalone GPS units is another question, though.

2016 R1200 GSA Low
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2011 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 08:09 AM (590)

Nav VI

I'm a gadget freak, and I really like the Nav VI (which I paid $850 for when the dealers had their 20% off accessory sale last December). The screen is such an improvement over the previous models, and the integration with the bike is icing on the cake.

I've certainly paid more for less (including an interface for the cell phone which mounts in the BMW cradle).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in