top box - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By enzo5000
  • 1 Post By Sundodger
  • 1 Post By Pterodactyl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2019, 06:12 AM (508) Thread Starter

top box

Not a fan off the way the top boxes look, plus I'm getting old and the top box complicates getting on and off the bike. But I surely miss having a storage on the bike and am now considering a small top box for the helmut and rain gear. Can anyone tell me whats the smallest size top box that will hold a helmut and rain gear? Any suggestions for a moderately priced box for the 1250.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide (gone):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 GSA
2019 1250 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2019, 09:29 AM (645)

Garage
Smallest is the BMW which will fit helmet and gloves only.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2019, 10:24 AM (683)

You can save a few bucks and get the Brooks version. I have their side cases and they are as good as the OEM versions.

https://www.brooksautosports.com/ind...s/BMW-TOP-CASE
zekester63 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2019, 01:48 PM (825)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not a fan off the way the top boxes look, plus I'm getting old and the top box complicates getting on and off the bike. But I surely miss having a storage on the bike and am now considering a small top box for the helmut and rain gear. Can anyone tell me whats the smallest size top box that will hold a helmut and rain gear? Any suggestions for a moderately priced box for the 1250.
As already mentioned, the OEM box will just take a helmet, my Arai XD-4 barely fits and that's across the diagonal. Other than gloves and a balaclava there's no way I could get any rain gear in it as well. I'm not sure how you're getting on and off the bike but I'm over 60 with a relatively short inseam, 29", and I sometimes drag my right foot across the top of the left hand pannier when getting off but its nowhere near the box. I'd have to be a gymnast to get it that high
pscho likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2019, 02:14 PM (843)

Garage
I bought my Top case from ADV Motorrad.
It attached directly to the OEM rack. I think they have different sizes too.
Best to call them.
https://www.advmotorrad.com/

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 27-Nov-2019, 04:18 PM (929)
Survivor

Garage
Happy Trails is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Will certainly hold a helmet +. Not the smallest that will hold a helmet for sure.

I have two top boxes. A Jesse Bags pizza box for most uses and a Happy Trails for when we are on long trips and camping.

I suggest you give up the idea of having a top box that will hold a helmet; there are other ways of securing a helmet. Go with a small top box such as a pizza box or with a tail bag. I think you may be happier with a tail bag. Nelson-Rigg makes some great tail bags.
mikec likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-Dec-2019, 10:15 AM (677)

Consider the Givi Trekker bags. A little more low key on the looks. That's a 52 liter top box and I can get 2 helmets in it. A helmet and some other gear is no issue. Nice thing is they are all interchangeable. I can mount either side case in top box location. I have a 33l on exhaust side and a 46l opposite. Also have quick release support brackets so only needs to be there when I have the side cases mounted which I really like. Won't solve the kicking it problem but a good alternative option. I went looking due to the size of the bmw top boxes.
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-Dec-2019, 12:24 AM (266)
LAS

Two fine alternatives are the BMW small and large soft case IIIs. The small will fit a helmet when expanded. The large will fit a helmet, rain gear and more. Neither are heavy or intrusive looking and nicking them accidentally on the way on or off the bike will not do them or you any harm.

Should you be interested, I have for sale an OEM all black hard plastic expandable (Vario?) top box for the 1250 GS with a small patch of rough finish on one side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode