2010 GS Fuel pump outlet valve failure - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2019, 07:03 PM (044) Thread Starter
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
2010 GS Fuel pump outlet valve failure

My 2010 R1200GS has allegedly had the fuel pump recall done in 2015, it was not causing any issues then.
It has now started leaking fuel in the exact manner that forced the recall in the first place.

What have people done to fix this?
I am getting no help from BMW in Australia in regard to getting it looked at and re done.
I am not forking out 800 bucks to fit a new pump when it is just one little connector.

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 107000 km and going as good as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-Dec-2019, 10:28 PM (186)
Avid Motorcyclist

I know your frustration. Similar thing happened on my 2011 R1200R that was working perfectly and during a service they also instead of just adding the steel collar replaced the whole fuel pump. From there on out I had this annoying audible high pitch whine from the fuel pump. None of my engagement with the dealer had any positive results.

If the fuel leak is coming from where they added the steel collar to where the fuel hose exits the pump assembly there might be an easy fix. For them to fit the collar they had to remove the plastic screw in male connector. Remove the connector and apply some teflon tape before inserting and tightening it again.

Hope this helps.

2010 R1200GS
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-Dec-2019, 01:55 AM (329) Thread Starter
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
That's the answer

That was what i intended to do, but i am lead to believe that there is a metal screw in piece, and a metal hose connector.
This is another reason my bikes never go into stealerships.
I doubt this valve was ever changed, and the reputation of my local dealer suggests he would have billed BMW for a pump replacement as well as the collar and valve.

2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-Dec-2019, 06:57 AM (540)

Just had the fuel pump flange crack and start leaking last month on my 2012GS1200. My mechanic replaced the pump, the flange and some hoses he deemed should be replaced while the bike was apart.

Extended warrantee covered the pump, flange but wouldn't cover the hoses he thought should also be replaced as they had not failed. Cost was 60.00 to me for the other hoses he replaced while in there.

So far, so good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-Dec-2019, 09:43 AM (655)
Super Awesom Person

I remember in the early days of the 16oo they had a problem with the fuel connector and some were replacing it with the metal one. Don't know if it fits the GS but this is the one they were using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N4YLMVDJ&psc=1

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2019, 01:33 AM (314)

The solution is relatively simple and low cost provided that the pump base plate itself isn't leaking. I recently bought a used K1300R to keep my 1200GSA company and last week I could smell fuel as I was riding home from work. I did a bit of research on the internet and my bike being a 2011 should have been built with a modified pump, ie fitted with a metal collar over the spigot on the base that was known to crack. I pulled the tank off and cleaned everything up but couldn't see an obvious problem so I reconnected the cables and hose and turned the bike on to run the pump. The leak was coming from the male quick release fitting which on closer inspection seems to have a couple of hairline cracks in it.

Having been down this road before with an MV Agusta I've just ordered a male and female QR coupling from beemer boneyard in the US, exactly the same as the plastic fittings used by BMW but in metal. They are even made by the same company!

When I spoke to the service manager at my local dealership and showed him a couple of pictures of the fuel staining on the pump baseplate he told me that he had never seen a modified pump fail and the problem was most likely a cracked male fitting, seems he was right about that. When I said I had ordered a pair of fittings and I intended changing the female on the pump base plate as a precaution he was adamant that if I tried to take it out I would destroy the fuel pump. He said they were glued in and couldn't be removed.

The female fitting can be removed from the base plate without damaging the pump if you are careful. The glue he was referring to is a fuel resistant sealant. If you order the 'kit' from Beemer boneyard you get a small tube of the stuff to use when you screw their fitting in. You also get a hose clamp to use on the other fitting that is connected to the hose, the OEM clamps aren't reusable. I wouldn't advise cutting the old one off the hose unless there is ample hose left. On my K1300 the hose length isn't overly generous so I used a small hacksaw to cut through the 'ear' on the clamp which then allows it to be removed.

If the male fitting has failed on your bike then you could just replace that if you aren't comfortable pulling the other fitting out of the pump base plate but if you do decide to replace both plastic fittings for metal as I intend to do make sure that the threads are clean before using the thread sealant and screw the new fitting into the pump base plate finger tight and then no more than half a turn with a spanner. The thread is tapered and over tightening it could crack the spigot on the pump base plate. Leave the sealant for up to 24 hours if you can to allow it time to cure and then connect everything up to check for leaks before reassembling the bike. The only other little trick is to make sure that the female is in the open position before pushing in the male fitting, it makes it less likely that you will pinch the O ring.
mikec likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2019, 10:03 AM (668) Thread Starter
Not that senior.

Any links to the parts needed?

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Sydney Australia, and getting parts from the States is always hit and miss with postal charges. Often the postage is way in excess of what the actual parts cost.
If anyone has a link to the correct parts that are available, i would appreciate that.

I am more than capable, in regard to identifying the issue, and rectifying it.
I rang the local BMW dealer in my hometown, who allegedly changed the fuel pump under the recall, but he was as much use as a chocolate teapot, and very defensive when i started asking questions about the repair.
The recall was 5 years ago, and he said he couldn't tell from my vin number if the work was ever carried out, or by who, yet another dealership told me that it was indeed done, and the date it was done, very strange for the Australian BMW Stealership of the year not to be able to access the same info, the fact that he is a lying thieving scumbag probably answers my own question.

This bike is my daily ride, and i can not have it off the road for more than a day or two, nor am i going to pay a dealer over 800 ausie dollars to change a fuel pump.

Thanks for the help.

2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2019, 03:30 PM (896)

If the recall has been done then there will be a metal collar around the spigot that the female quick connect screws in to. The dealers pressed them on during the recall period and later bikes were built with a pump already having this mod. Sounds like your bike had been recalled. BMW instructed dealerships to inspect the pump and if the spigot had already begun to crack then a new pump was fitted, alternately, if there was little or no evidence of cracking then the collar was pressed on. Contrary to what has already been said, the QR fitting does not get removed from the base plate to install the collar. It can be done by removing the locking gate on the QR fitting first.

Before you shell out for a replacement fuel pump assembly you need to be certain where the leak is coming from. I've listed all possibilities in order of least likely, IMHO!

The pump baseplate/spigot could be cracked but it seems to be highly unlikely if the pump has been modified.
The female QR fitting that screws into the pump could be cracked or could be leaking past the tapered thread. I would consider this also a low risk unless it has been disturbed.
The male QR fitting could be cracked, it could leak from where it is clamped to the hose or the O ring could have failed. On the K bikes this fitting is L shaped and was the point of failure on my bike. When I went through the same issue on an MV I owned, from the forum I was a member of at that time, the male fitting was usually the culprit.

You are correct about the postage. It is costing roughly the same to have replacement fittings sent to me from the US as the retail price of the items themselves. I could have dicked around for days on the internet trying to find a cheaper deal but I wanted to know that I was fitting quality items, not cheap Chinese knock offs.

The cheapest repair option for me would be to buy the plastic male disconnect fitting from BMW, still costs over $20 I believe, and fit that. I think that replacing both fittings with metal items for around $100 is a better long term option.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-Dec-2019, 04:49 PM (950)
Just Another Guy!!!!

Garage
This is ironic, when I purchased my new to me 07 GSA I smelled gas and had the same issue. I repaired it myself.....Not that hard if your careful. I bought the metal connectors from BB as well and a spare. It did help me with negotiating the price of the bike as well, good thing I took it on a good road test!!!!

Marty
2007 R1200 GSA

Asheville Area USA

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-Dec-2019, 07:35 AM (566)

My replacement male and female QR fuel couplings from BB have made it as far as Newark so always provided that Aussie Post don't manage to lose them once they arrive in country I should get them in time to put the bike back together for its next scheduled service.
I did however underestimate the cost of the plastic male QR fitting that is the OEM supplied part. As a precaution in case Australia Post managed to live up to its woeful reputation I checked this afternoon and my dealer has stock on the shelf but seriously, $40Aust for a piece of plastic makes the metal replacement the bargain of the century!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode