R1200GS vs R1250GS Performance - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-Dec-2019, 07:16 AM (553) Thread Starter

Garage
R1200GS vs R1250GS Performance

I'm on my third GS. Two different R1200's and now a new 2020 R1250GSA.

Now that I have the new R1250 everyone wants to test ride it ..... especially the guys who have the R1200WC's. Most of the time we just swap bikes. I ride theirs and they ride the new R1250. To my surprise ...... everyone who rides the bike says it's no more powerful or responsive than their R1200's. When I ride their bike however, I feel a big difference. Off the line they seem very similar to me but in the upper RPM's the R1250 IMHO is much more responsive and powerful.

Has anyone else tested the new R1250 and felt an improvement in performance? I would have laughed it off after the first test ride but now I'm hearing it from more than one rider. Psychological? Disbelief? Im just curious what others are experiencing.

EAT SLEEP RIDE EAT SLEEP RIDE EAT SLEEP RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-Dec-2019, 09:10 AM (632)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

Now that I have the new R1250 everyone wants to test ride it ..... especially the guys who have the R1200WC's. Most of the time we just swap bikes. I ride theirs and they ride the new R1250. To my surprise ...... everyone who rides the bike says it's no more powerful or responsive than their R1200's. When I ride their bike however, I feel a big difference. Off the line they seem very similar to me but in the upper RPM's the R1250 IMHO is much more responsive and powerful.

Has anyone else tested the new R1250 and felt an improvement in performance? I would have laughed it off after the first test ride but now I'm hearing it from more than one rider. Psychological? Disbelief? Im just curious what others are experiencing.

It's a much better motor. I'm surprised you say similar off the line as I think the biggest improvement is the bottom end. They just say no improvement because they need to justify what they are riding. If it was me I would acknowledge the improvements even though I was still on a 1200. I really don't have anything to prove at this point and don't really care if I'm a model or two behind. I do have a 1250 but only because I jumped over from an RT with the 1200 motor.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-Dec-2019, 09:50 AM (660)
Super Awesom Person

While there is a difference between the two bikes I think it just isn't enough to justify the expense of upgrading. Those are my thoughts and I would imagine it's the same with the people who have test ridden your bike, they just didn't phrase it correctly.
skychs and SoCalGuy like this.

Rick
2018 R1200GS

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-Dec-2019, 10:04 AM (669) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhcolumbus View Post
It's a much better motor. I'm surprised you say similar off the line as I think the biggest improvement is the bottom end. They just say no improvement because they need to justify what they are riding. If it was me I would acknowledge the improvements even though I was still on a 1200. I really don't have anything to prove at this point and don't really care if I'm a model or two behind. I do have a 1250 but only because I jumped over from an RT with the 1200 motor.
Thanks for your input. I agree with you. Part of the problem however is me .... Im jumping from an 07 GS (oil head) to the 1250. The differences between those two bike are huge in almost every way. The only time I get to ride a 1200GSWC is when we trade bikes.

EAT SLEEP RIDE EAT SLEEP RIDE EAT SLEEP RIDE
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 02:37 AM (359)

Apart from a few updates the R1200GS and R1250GS are much the same with the exception of the engine. A vast improvement. More power and more torque throughout the rev range. Freer revving and smoother with no dips in the power curve and the added bonus of improved fuel consumption.
OK there is the strange engine noise when under slight load but some machine are worse than others in this respect (mine is noticeable but tolerable).

My advice is, if you are happy with your 1200 don't test ride a 1250, you might be smitten.
skychs likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 02:48 AM (366)

Hi I own a 2015 mod gs1200 which I've had since new.
I was very excited about the release of the new 1250 and was ready to upgrade to one.
I've now ridden the 1250 4 times now and I struggle to feel any power or torque difference. I feel they have also softened the throttle response too much because I felt the need to be in Dynamic mode all the time compared to my 1200 where I mostly ride in road mode which still feels more responsive than the 1250 in dynamic.
Sure the motor & gearbox is smoother and the new TFT dash is a great improvement but the 1250 is also 11kgs heavier.
My gs has the Akropovic exhaust which sounds fantastic & added some extra power & torque.
So maybe the 1250 is 5k better but not 15k better the change over price I will have to pay to upgrade. Do you live in Melbourne? I would love to get the bikes side by side for some 0 to 100 and role on's in the higher gears to see in real life if there is much difference.
skychs likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 04:05 AM (420)

I would recommend Googling ‘Bennett’s Social R1200GS v R1250GS’. The reaction of the dyno tester was interesting.
skychs and Sed8r like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 07:15 AM (552)

My present R1250GS is my tenth GS in a row and my 4th watercooled one.
So I guess I am able to compare the bigger engine to the previous one.
I ride my GS mainly in the French mountains, often with my wife riding pillion, and in that environment, the differences with the 1200 cc engine are unmistakable .
In Road mode the 1250 is faster and more responsive than the 1200 in Dynamic mode.
Overtaking now rarely requires downshifting anymore, even when in 5th or 6th gear.
Fuel consumption is NOT really down however, due to the more vigorous riding style this engine invites you to.
Anyone owning a 1200, who claims that he/she doesn’t feel any difference when riding a 1250, is trying to convince him/herself not to upgrade to the new version, imho.
The issue of the resonance noise most or all 1250 engines make is bothersome, however, but, as Maturerider pointed out, not all of them suffer from it to the same degree.
skychs and LAS like this.

Last edited by Slijkmoto; 15-Dec-2019 at 07:18 AM (554).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 07:47 AM (574)

In September I spent 8 days riding through the Alps, two up on a 1250 GS Adv. Honestly I detected no difference in engine performance compared to my 2018 1200 GS Adv.

Unfortunately I cannot compare the gentle roads of Ontario Canada to the aggressive switchbacks of the Alps so it probably is not a fair evaluation.

I'm sure it's a more powerful engine, and more EU smog compliant, but unless my bike was at end of life, I could not justify an upgrade based on engine alone.

brian

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2019, 12:08 PM (755)

Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

In November I returned from a Edelweiss Tour in Spain and rode a new 1250 for 1900 km
I have at home 2017.5 GS 1200
the first 10 miles I could feel the difference when I returned and jumped on my GS but not enough to notice after that
Upgrade to me personally would be worth about $200 but in reality it would be about$7-8000 at the dealer
Iíll keep my GS for a long time or at least until itís out of warranty then I ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode