How do you check your engine oil level? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2020, 03:33 PM (898) Thread Starter

How do you check your engine oil level?

I have owned several R1200/1250GS'. I have just discovered the correct procedure to check the engine oil level and what a palava that is! I have always checked the level by looking at the sight glass before a ride. If it was showing anywhere between midway and full I assumed it was ok. Incidentally, I have never had to top up between services and the oil level indicator on the dash would always show 'ok', on the odd occasion it bothers to show anything other than 'dashes'.

What one is actually supposed to do is travel for at least 18 miles. Stop and leave the engine ticking over until the radiator fan comes on, turn off the engine and then wait for five minutes before checking that the oil is between the minimum and maximum level on the sight glass with the bike in a upright position. If at the lower level add 0.8 litre of oil to bring it up to maximum.

Why such a song and dance? Why not have it so the level can be checked when the oil is cold?

I think I will continue doing what I have always done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2020, 04:19 PM (930)
Super Awesom Person

I don't know about the GS but my K1600GT would pop up a warning on the dash when it got a half quart low.

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2020, 06:12 PM (008)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
I don’t use the center stand, so I have a mirror that is placed to the side of my bike. Since they say you need to check the level while it is hot, I check my sight glass in the mirror (while the bike is level) after letting everything drain (5 min?). What you might try is to check the sight glass while it is hot as a reference point (full), then let the engine cool overnight. Then when the engine is cold and level, check where the level is when it’s cold.

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2019 R1250 GSA

Last edited by Mark_M; 12-Jan-2020 at 07:34 PM (065).

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2020, 06:14 PM (010)

My operators manual just says switch it off at operating temperature and wait 5 minutes. After you do that the first time you know where it should be when cold for future checks.

2017 BMW GS Adventure Triple Black
Going to war without France is like going hunting without bagpipes, you just leave a lot of noisy useless baggage at home.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-Jan-2020, 07:46 PM (073)
Survivor

Garage
I do much the same as Maturerider. Pretty much if you can see any oil when cold, then all is well.
mikec, Kemo Sabe and Niks like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2020, 01:57 PM (831)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerider View Post
I have owned several R1200/1250GS'. I have just discovered the correct procedure to check the engine oil level and what a palava that is! I have always checked the level by looking at the sight glass before a ride. If it was showing anywhere between midway and full I assumed it was ok. Incidentally, I have never had to top up between services and the oil level indicator on the dash would always show 'ok', on the odd occasion it bothers to show anything other than 'dashes'.

What one is actually supposed to do is travel for at least 18 miles. Stop and leave the engine ticking over until the radiator fan comes on, turn off the engine and then wait for five minutes before checking that the oil is between the minimum and maximum level on the sight glass with the bike in a upright position. If at the lower level add 0.8 litre of oil to bring it up to maximum.

Why such a song and dance? Why not have it so the level can be checked when the oil is cold?

I think I will continue doing what I have always done!
Like you and Pterodactyl, the cold method is what I have always done. Seems to work fine.
Kemo Sabe likes this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-Jan-2020, 02:13 PM (842)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
My gauge works pretty well, though sometimes a little finicky. Well enough that it requires no acrobatics or timers as were required on my prev 1150 or 1200 roadsters
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2020, 04:21 PM (931)

So, is the warning indicator insufficient to rely on for accurate info (do I need oil or not)?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2020, 05:33 AM (481) Thread Starter

The problem I find with the oil level display is that I do not often have 'My Vehicle' screen showing (where this function is displayed). One of the best time to check the oil display is waiting at traffic lights. The engine has to be up to temperature, bike upright, no brakes, stands in the up positions and a wait of at least 10 seconds. I must remember to scroll from one of my more used screen displays to 'My Vehicle' on the approach to the lights. Hopefully the lights don't turn green before the display show either 'OK' or 'LOW' otherwise dashes will continue to show.

I assume the low oil level warning light will only show after the above procedure has been carried out. If not, obviously it would not be necessary to carry out the above check regularly or even to look at the oil level sight glass. It would be nice to know?
Dr. Strangelove likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2020, 09:41 AM (653)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunasea2 View Post
So, is the warning indicator insufficient to rely on for accurate info (do I need oil or not)?
My low oil indicator was coming on all the time and the level was fine. A software update seemed to fix it for now. Just look at the site glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in