Looking for some advice on extras - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2007, 02:04 PM (795) Thread Starter

Looking for some advice on extras

I've seen the Touratech web site and the Wunderlich one as well. I'm looking for some items for the GS that will (hopefully) be one time purchases.

Crash bars- I've got the stock ones, not too impressed with them, I'd like to replace them with HB's lowers as well as uppers kind of like the ADV style. Any thoughts?

Skid plate, the first one and the second one on the center stand. What is the best one in your opinion? Anything to watch out for?

The oil cooler guard from touratech looks to be the best for the $, anyone using anything different?

I have cylinder head covers on the way (BMW) used. Damn this stuff is pricey.

Anything major for protection that I should have?

Thanks, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2007, 06:18 PM (970)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Crash bars- I've got the stock ones, not too impressed with them, I'd like to replace them with HB's lowers as well as uppers kind of like the ADV style. Any thoughts?
HB lowers are great. Why do you want uppers? So far my upper plastic has not touched the ground. It's held up by the HB bars and the handlebar.

Quote:
Skid plate, the first one and the second one on the center stand. What is the best one in your opinion? Anything to watch out for?
I'm using the stock plate, so can't comment.

Quote:
The oil cooler guard from touratech looks to be the best for the $, anyone using anything different
My Wunderlich fell apart, but some glue got it back together. It's been holding this way for the last 17 months. http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/farkles/problem.html

Quote:
I have cylinder head covers on the way (BMW) used. Damn this stuff is pricey.
On this I have opinions. My opinion is that too much protection is a bad thing and that you do not want to use both crashbars and valve cover protectors. The crashbars are somewhat flexible. They bend, absorbing energy in a fall, and may even spring back if the force isn't too much. If you run valve cover protectors then the flexing crashbars hit the protectors, transfering energy that would have been disapated as bent metal or heat directly to the head through the protectors.

Were it me I'd not bother with valve cover protectors. Yes, your valve cover may get scratched. So what. It may get holed -- some jbstick will get you home. A new valve cover is about the same price as a new valve cover protector.

// marc
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2007, 08:20 PM (055)
Sit

Check around on this forum or Adv Rider, not sure if the BMW head covers, (you get the black plastic or GS Adv ones) will work with the HB bars.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2007, 02:10 PM (799)
Back for more!

Send a message via Yahoo to The Veg
I've got the SW-Motech bars, and while I have not crashed on them, I do like them and think the design is good.

Cogito ergo moto
----------------
2012 R1200GS
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-Oct-2007, 07:50 PM (034) Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got some parts coming and the rest I'm still deciding on. I've also been thinking I might pull the crash bars, the cylinder head covers and the skid plates and send the works in the be powdercoated black. Just to set it apart from all the others.

Rob
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 28-Oct-2007, 11:22 AM (682)

HP bars and BMW covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit View Post
not sure if the BMW head covers, (you get the black plastic or GS Adv ones) will work with the HB bars.
I am sure - they wonít. But the HP bars protect also the heads, and well so: just today, I fell down on a steep downhill mud section covered by wet leaves and the head didnít contact the ground in any single point.

As for the oil cooler protection, I got mine from Wunderlich, since its hollows are smaller and catch the small stuff better. It hasnít fallen apart yet:-)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 29-Oct-2007, 11:08 AM (672)

Thumbs up for the HB crash bars. I've tested both sides and they have held up well.

I'm saving my pennies up to get twinheadlight Ernie's skid plate (on ADVRider). He will even make custom mods for you. I'm going to get one with a taller front lip to cover the exhaust crossover pipe, as mine is already dented thanks to a rock thrown up by the front tire.

Adventurersworkshop has an oil cooler/headlight guard combo that looks interesting.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-Oct-2007, 07:09 AM (506)

I'm as guilty as others for adding 'bling' to their GSs'.

The latest addition is this Wunderlich adjustable gearchange lever. It's set to be shorter than the oe one, which suits my size 9 feet better (note the TT sidestand switch cover.........does exactly the same as the oe one, just in a 'nicer' way ).
Attached Images

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-Oct-2007, 07:11 AM (508)

Then there is the Reyno rad grill.
Attached Images

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 31-Oct-2007, 07:13 AM (509)

The Motoradd Concepts hugger (no longer available) and R&G crash bung.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode