Kudo's for Adventure BMW (NC/VA) - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2008, 04:24 PM (892) Thread Starter
dec

Thumbs up Kudo's for Adventure BMW (NC/VA)

(ALSO POSTED ON GSPOT . . . thought I'd post here to ensure the good news gets out)

Had a great few days at the Outer Banks of NC . . . the only BLIP in the trip was a GS that wouldn't crank. It happend FRI afternoon at the Southern Tip of the Islands.

Trouble shooting by two different BMW MECHs pointed at 1) Bad Starter or 2) Dead Battery . . . the symptoms below are not the only indications found during the troubleshooting, but hit the highlights.

Symptoms - after a 1/2 day of 2up riding seeing the sights, I shut the GSA down for a pic of the Light House at Hatteras. Went to crank it back up and very little movement of the engine/starter. A new friend brought over his voltmeter. Battery showing 13.4V and when starter engaged - 5V. After a few crank attempts, the volts were in the mid 12's. Made some calls and the above 'possible problems' came from the mechanics. The display at times was normal (except low fuel light ) and at times, blanked out.

During the troubleshooting (over the phone) the EWS warning came up --- we tried removing the key for 2-3 min's ( I told the mech if that was the case, I was selling this bike!), but that didn't pan out to be the problem. Overall, it appeared I had a bad connection of the battery, but that was the first thing I checked before making any calls. . . . I even remove my wiring for the power block I installed a few months back.

So my dilemma at 5 PM on FRI was to either allow someone to haul the bike to a dealer, go get a new battery, or try loading the bike in my toy hauler w/o power to ride it up in the back and take it to BOBs when I got back from the min-vacation. The logical first step to get the GSA back on the road, was to purchase and replace the battery and mark off that possible solution.

I spoke with a couple folks at Adventure BMW (thanks to my brother --- former BMW driver --- who looked up the number for me) and they all were extremely helpful even though they knew I was most likely a 'passing through' type customer. Rich was given the task of over the phone diagnosing the problem. After a few minutes he locked in that he felt it was a BATTERY malfunction (would not roll start), but was NOT 100% and he let me know that was his best gut feeling with the oddities of the screen and the EWS (and other) indications that I described. So I purchased a new replacment battery (not OEM) and they left it in a discreet place for me to pick up after hours.

After 120+ miles (one way) in my truck ( to include waiting almost an hour for clean up of a HD vs. Jeep accident on 12 South ) I got back to the Lighthouse at 11PM and installed the new battery in the misty darkness FRI night. After a good TI of my work, I hit the starter and Gretta fired right up. So I followed my bride back to the campground and called it a night.

I wanted everyone to know that Adventure BMW was extremely helpful and I certainly will give them more business if/when the opportunities presents itself! Thankx Rich and the Adventure BMW team!

[BTW the battery had been installed for 2 yrs and 5 days]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2008, 11:59 AM (707)
Reverend Noob

Dec, sorry you had problems but glad you were back under way without too much hassle. It's great there are dealers like Adventure BMW to help us while on the road. It seems your experience is fairly normal concerning the newer glass mat (sp?) batteries BMW is using. I've always had good luck with motorcycle batteries. I once had an original in a K75S that was still working good after 8 years. It had never been on a charger and had never failed to start the bike. I finally replaced it as I was sure it was past due for failure Having heard the new batteries were prone to early failure I religiously used BMW's new high zoot charger on my 1200 GS. I ride year round and the bike rerely sits more than a week without being ridden and I attribute my good luck with batteries to this. Anyway I purchased a new Shelby Mustang and had to move the bike in the garage to a spot where the charger wasn't easily accessable. It was less than a week of not being ridden and the charger not on and the battery was flat and wouldn't hold a charge. The bike and battery were just over 2 years old with about 40,000 miles on it. Certainly not typical battery life for me but it seems normal for the new style batteries. I guess that's progress

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode